Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help installing OS .18 CVR in Kyosho DRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Help installing OS .18 CVR in Kyosho DRX

I'm trying to put an OS .18 CVR into a Kyosho DRX and could really use some help. This seemed like it would be possible based on the fact that Kyosho makes an engine mount for the DRX for OS engines. I bought the mount and the engine drops in perfectly.

However, I'm having a hell of a time getting the clutch assembly onto the shaft (please see attached photos). The pilot shaft (Kyosho part # IF208B) just slides right over the crankshaft of the motor without threading because the inner diameter is too large (first photo). I even bought a different shorter crankshaft that looks more like the one on the stock GXR18 motor and it has the exact same issue (second and third photos). I guess I have a couple of questions:

- Is there a pilot shaft with a small inner diameter that will thread onto the OS crankshaft?
- If not, is there another clutch setup I can use?
- The OS engine came with something called a "drive hub" (see last photo) which is not present on the stock GXR18. This was slid over the area where it looks like the flywheel is supposed to go. Am I supposed to take this off and put the flywheel on in place of it?

Any insight on how I can get this working would be greatly appreciated. If you need more photos or information I would be more than happy to provide.
Attached Thumbnails Help installing OS .18 CVR in Kyosho DRX-img_1180.jpg   Help installing OS .18 CVR in Kyosho DRX-img_1178.jpg   Help installing OS .18 CVR in Kyosho DRX-img_1179.jpg   Help installing OS .18 CVR in Kyosho DRX-img_1174.jpg  

Last edited by modelcitizen; 12-24-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Provide more details
Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Initiate

After poking around some more on Google and talking to both InfernosOnly and OS Tech Support, it seems like the DRX's pilot shaft is meant to thread over a larger diameter shaft like that present on a big block .21 or larger motor. So now it's off to my LHS to find a different pilot shaft that is long enough to fit my clutch bell and will thread onto a standard shaft.