Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clarity for GT engine spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default Clarity for GT engine spec

Hopefully, I can some day find out why the .24 Sirio I love so much has been 'outlawed' by the new ROAR rules. (big sigh).......

Also, I was prompted to start this thread by what I saw posted by NOVA ROSSI while I was trying to research the new GT.21 they have coming out in January.

It seems there is a 'bogus' 'virtus .21' with the wrong bearings floating around.

So..........My actual question now boils down to, >>>>>>>>>>> is an 'advertised' '5 port' that is admittedly a "5+2" still 'legal" ???????????????? AND, can we use a 3 or 4 port or are they excluded in the confusing wording of the rules.

I do understand the problem in the 'wording' of rules.........I pressed 'the powers that be' to accomplish 'clarity' in the 'International Plumbing Code' for your protection. There was a gap in interpretation that would allow plumbers to mess with the temp on your water heaters rather than eliminate the ability for them to 'tamper' with a water heater thermostat. It took that committee 6 years to clarify it. Now 'proper devices' must be used to prevent you and your children from being 'scalded' in the bathtub. Clarity is good.

So, what engines are truly 'legal' and why is my .24 Sirio from the Kyosho 'pro kit' NOT?????????
Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Man, its a Pandoras box!! And its only the beginning. Only way to truly handle this is the same way they do for electric motors in that we will have to have ROAR legal engines and each engine will need to be submitted to ROAR for approval. Imagine the tech line at a major event!!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

One could you just keep it simple like the old days, when people had common sense.

Open class = run whatever you want with in common reason and or limitation .21-.28cc motors

SPEC class = you SPECify exactly what is allowed and to be used... PERIOD.

Hmmm that took me 3seconds, not 3yrs.....
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
One could you just keep it simple like the old days, when people had common sense.

Open class = run whatever you want with in common reason and or limitation .21-.28cc motors

SPEC class = you SPECify exactly what is allowed and to be used... PERIOD.

Hmmm that took me 3seconds, not 3yrs.....
Hmmm Tony you should right that down before you forget. I think you have something there.

Regards
BM
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

BM, you get that car on the road yet??
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That is what we are going to do here in Turkey next year. will start the class with super spec where everything is stock. I am the only GT importer so will keep the cars the same as well.

So super spec: Serpent GT + Novarossi R7 and pipe + Same Fuel + Sweep Tires
then we probably will have Spec: Fixed engine and fuel and tire
once it picks up and people want to speed we will push for an open class.

As far as I can see from running events, the more rules the less racers.... you have to have rules yes but keep them simple
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
That is what we are going to do here in Turkey next year. will start the class with super spec where everything is stock. I am the only GT importer so will keep the cars the same as well.

As far as I can see from running events, the more rules the less racers.... you have to have rules yes but keep them simple
Your exactly correct.

Would you be interested in becoming IGT8F Affiliate? Our network of affiliates work together to help one another.... it could possibly benefit you in several ways.

Email or pm if you would like more information.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

It just makes sense!!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

As far as I can see from running events, the more rules the less racers....
I do not agree... Yes, for starters this is the ideal thought but even when starters are running a while and factory drivers are taking the win because of advanced equipments and unlimited budgets the must admit the rules must go tighter to prevent the fun is taken out the hobby.....
Old 12-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Hopefully, I can some day find out why the .24 Sirio I love so much has been 'outlawed' by the new ROAR rules. (big sigh).......

Also, I was prompted to start this thread by what I saw posted by NOVA ROSSI while I was trying to research the new GT.21 they have coming out in January.

It seems there is a 'bogus' 'virtus .21' with the wrong bearings floating around.

So..........My actual question now boils down to, >>>>>>>>>>> is an 'advertised' '5 port' that is admittedly a "5+2" still 'legal" ???????????????? AND, can we use a 3 or 4 port or are they excluded in the confusing wording of the rules.

I do understand the problem in the 'wording' of rules.........I pressed 'the powers that be' to accomplish 'clarity' in the 'International Plumbing Code' for your protection. There was a gap in interpretation that would allow plumbers to mess with the temp on your water heaters rather than eliminate the ability for them to 'tamper' with a water heater thermostat. It took that committee 6 years to clarify it. Now 'proper devices' must be used to prevent you and your children from being 'scalded' in the bathtub. Clarity is good.

So, what engines are truly 'legal' and why is my .24 Sirio from the Kyosho 'pro kit' NOT?????????
Scary_Jerry !!! Since we are both Kyosho diehards and we own the cars and still race them, I see no one has attempted to answer your question yet..Let me help...From what ROAR has said in my interpretation thus far :
1. THE MOTOR CANNOT EXCEED 5 PORTS AND MUST BE A .21...and can be either onroad or offroad but actually most onroads are more than 5 ports..
2. IF THE MOTOR EXCEEDS A .21 SIZE THEN IT HAS TO BE THE OEM STOCKER WITH A PULL START OR ROTO START ETC ONLY !! ...so your Sirio that you love is a bump start shaft and a .24 size even though it is OEM... : ( so no can do !! If it were a pullstart then your in like Flynn : )
3. 7mm VENTURI !!

With that being said I went out and got me a NOVA MAXY CINCO BT 5 port off road with ceramic bearings going in my GT1...look out Serpents, There is a GT1 out there about to bite the snake !! I will post a pic in the Kyosho thread when I am done ...hope I my .02 cents helped brother !
Old 12-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Yb2fast
Scary_Jerry !!! Since we are both Kyosho diehards and we own the cars and still race them, I see no one has attempted to answer your question yet..Let me help...From what ROAR has said in my interpretation thus far :
1. THE MOTOR CANNOT EXCEED 5 PORTS AND MUST BE A .21...and can be either onroad or offroad but actually most onroads are more than 5 ports..
2. IF THE MOTOR EXCEEDS A .21 SIZE THEN IT HAS TO BE THE OEM STOCKER WITH A PULL START OR ROTO START ETC ONLY !! ...so your Sirio that you love is a bump start shaft and a .24 size even though it is OEM... : ( so no can do !! If it were a pullstart then your in like Flynn : )
3. 7mm VENTURI !!

With that being said I went out and got me a NOVA MAXY CINCO BT 5 port off road with ceramic bearings going in my GT1...look out Serpents, There is a GT1 out there about to bite the snake !! I will post a pic in the Kyosho thread when I am done ...hope I my .02 cents helped brother !
Thanks Kyosho fan!!!! That's the angle on the answer I was hoping to get. The elimination of the Sirio .24 makes no sense, but neither did '6mm' inlet. I'm glad they bumped to '7mm'. I've got as much as 14 min. run time here 'at altitude' w/7.5mm inlet on that Siro .24. I was starting to like the idea of trying for '1 pit stop' for a 30 min. main on that 6mm inlet.

Glad to see your Kyosho enthusiasm. If we can get that 'caster issue' resolved and get the "K car" to turn it'll be fun.

Thanks for your 'on target' response. I'd just like to hear from ROAR the 'rationale' for bumping the Sirio .24. Thus far I can't find a 'chat link' or 'suggestion box' to get to the point of their choice. I do have a '.21 5-port' in the inventory now. I have considered the Maxy motor..........we used to run his fuel and loved it. I've also seen the Reds 5 port run (during breakin) and it was pretty interesting. I still may try to find a Sirio .21 to exact some revenge 'for his bigger brother'!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Thanks Kyosho fan!!!! That's the angle on the answer I was hoping to get. The elimination of the Sirio .24 makes no sense, but neither did '6mm' inlet. I'm glad they bumped to '7mm'. I've got as much as 14 min. run time here 'at altitude' w/7.5mm inlet on that Siro .24. I was starting to like the idea of trying for '1 pit stop' for a 30 min. main on that 6mm inlet.

Glad to see your Kyosho enthusiasm. If we can get that 'caster issue' resolved and get the "K car" to turn it'll be fun.

Thanks for your 'on target' response. I'd just like to hear from ROAR the 'rationale' for bumping the Sirio .24. Thus far I can't find a 'chat link' or 'suggestion box' to get to the point of their choice. I do have a '.21 5-port' in the inventory now. I have considered the Maxy motor..........we used to run his fuel and loved it. I've also seen the Reds 5 port run (during breakin) and it was pretty interesting. I still may try to find a Sirio .21 to exact some revenge 'for his bigger brother'!!!!!!
Since you like Sirio-based engines, why not consider the Werks B5? I have run that in my Kyosho GT1 and GT2 over the years and have had a lot of success with it. The last time I "hard" raced it was at the Byrons race in 2012 where I finished second in the B-main (bumped) coming off the track at 187F degrees for 30 minutes. Finished 6th in the A-main coming off the track at 198F degrees after 45 minutes. Could have leaned it out some to get more power but was comfortable with it where it was.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by JLock
Since you like Sirio-based engines, why not consider the Werks B5? I have run that in my Kyosho GT1 and GT2 over the years and have had a lot of success with it. The last time I "hard" raced it was at the Byrons race in 2012 where I finished second in the B-main (bumped) coming off the track at 187F degrees for 30 minutes. Finished 6th in the A-main coming off the track at 198F degrees after 45 minutes. Could have leaned it out some to get more power but was comfortable with it where it was.
The first time I saw a Werks B5, it was when I toured the pits after a qualifier and said 'wow, what the heck has that guy got for a motor?'.

I'm seeing some other motors sadly left out in the cold. Alpha has a .23 we can't use. It was my understanding that Texas used Alpha engines for quite a while.

It's always good to get those kind of results without 'frying' an engine to keep up or lead the pack. Thanks for the reminder on Werks.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You know I like that engine, Jerry. I'm waiting to see what five ports are out there and maybe see if I can gear my 4 port to run well.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by spooky 1
You know I like that engine, Jerry. I'm waiting to see what five ports are out there and maybe see if I can gear my 4 port to run well.
You might have 'tech's panties in a twist' after hinting you might try that 5 port head over your 9 port killer machine. I'm not standing next to you !!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New 'Tag Line' .................no discrimination against Sirio .24 and Alpha .23 !!!!!

'The Abandoned Displacements'.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.