Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20% to 30%

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Default 20% to 30%

recently I've gone from 20% odonnel to 30% sidewinder with 12% oil..

so far it hasnt been a good experience. at first I had a plug completely die on me so I added a .1 shim giving me a total of .5..
today it would idle all day long but as soon as I get to about half throttle it just dies. I've had to richen all needles up quite a bit just to keep it running.

I set all needles back to factory settings and it is still running too lean, causing it to run on after letting off the throttle. before it wouldnt even start with the factory settings.

I was thinking that with the extra shim I would need to lean it out more.. was I not correct in thinking this?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not sure what type of engine youre running, but RB recommend a 0.1mm shim for each 5% additional nitro you go over 16% on the RB V12.
Cheers
Old 07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

the engine is a nitro star .12r xs ..
I plan to do some more testing with it tomorrow and see what I come up with.
I had run it with 30% without adding the shim first and it ran with plenty of power but at about 250deg.. so I thought I would add the shim and see how it ran..
one thing I am going to do for sure is to switch back to odonnel fuel.. I can't say that I care for sidewinder.. too many extras added in it, plus it stinks..
Old 07-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

after running it some more today I got it running consistently..
it was a matter of richening it up by about 1.5 - 2 full turns on the high and low speed needles..
temps stayed at about 230 with plenty of power..
now I want to try odonnel 30% and see how it compares..
Old 07-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by onnetz
it was a matter of richening it up by about 1.5 - 2 full turns on the high and low speed needles...

just about what you should expect.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

I wish I would've known to epect it.... and so much for the mileage now....
Old 07-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

From what I hear sidewinder is probably better. They also make byrons. But yeah test around. Thats what I always suggest with fuels. See what you like , its all about making you happy and your car of course.

I stopped using odonnel because it stains...otherwise didnt really have trouble with it. But also didnt have good luck running it in some troublesome engines. So I kinda moved on...to see if that helps my issues from before.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

I hear alot of people saying that odonnel stains but for whatever reason it hasnt done it to me..

One thing I noticed about sidewinder is that even with the engine running wayy lean, it was still smoking like a chimney.. so depending on the fuel, going by the trail of smoke is a myth..
Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think there is a connection between Sidewinder and Byrons. Byrons makes Mugen fuel.
If I am not mistaken I think Sidewinder is made by Morgan fuels.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah im not too certain on that one. But thats what I think I heard.... If im wrong sorry about that. The weird thing though, I even brought this up to someone else and they agreed. But perhaps they were just trying to be polite. LOL.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

on the bottle of sidewinder fuel is says "morgan fuel"

and as extras in it there is.....
rust inhibitor
anti-oxidant
igniters
detergants
non-foaming agents
wetting agents
Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by onnetz
... so depending on the fuel, going by the trail of smoke is a myth..
Yes, that is a myth... tune for performance. Moving from 20% to 30% will also produce a greater amount of smoke generally due to the richer needle settings.
As for Odonnel staining... it does... but that isn't the worst thing in the world... but its like having plaque in your engine after running many gallons through an engine. Odonnel has more punch than most fuels, but I like Mugen fuel because it doesn't stain my engines internals... plus odonnel smoke just curdles your nose hairs during an extended pit-stop. Oh god is that gnarly.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

if you think odonnels is bad for the nose, then you really wouldn't like sidewinder.. I dont mind the smell of odonnell but sidewinder is just horrid..

I had my engine apart a few days ago and there was no staining at all.. except the top of the piston was slightly tan..
thats after almost 2 gallons of odonnell 20%.. maybe I'm just lucky... (yeah right)

I never let fuel sit in the engine or the tank if its not running or about to be run.. and always use wd-40 as after run oil.. maybe that helps cut down on the staining..