Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Newbie needs help with HPI RS4 3 EVO >

Newbie needs help with HPI RS4 3 EVO

Newbie needs help with HPI RS4 3 EVO

Old 07-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie needs help with HPI RS4 3 EVO

Hello,

I just got into R/C cars (my thing is really helis) just to have fun w/ my cousin, so we each got an HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO. It seems like a nice car to start with to have fun on the road (with the option to hop-up if you decide to race).

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting the steering and braking adjusted properly. For the steering, the stock setup was very inconsistent in alignment, forcing me to constantly adjust the steering trim on the radio to get the car to go straight during acceleration and deceleration. So, I upgraded the steering servo to the higher torque Hitec HS 625MG. It now centers beautifully, however, I have a new steering issue: I bought a new set of tires and wheels and did my first glue job, and the tires look to be set evenly (in as much as my newbie knowledge can tell), however, the car veers left when accelerating.

Is it common for this to occur with new tires, or even a new servo? Would the optimal thing to do is adjust the steering so it centers when coasting and get a quality radio (I like JR) that has D/R adjustments so I can make the car pull right slightly when giving throttle?

I have a JR XP6102 heli radio, so I'm familiar with all of the adjustments you can make with a good controller that this Airtronics lacks, but it'd be preferable if I didn't have to make that investment yet.

Now for the braking. For some reason, my cousin's car -- which, as mentioned before, is also an RS4 3 EVO -- brakes on a dime. Mine, however, sucks the big one. I've adjusted the barrel so the car is right on the edge of rolling neutral without brake drag, yet full brakes are still weak. I've removed the cover from the gears and tightened the 2 metal plates attached to it that get squeezed together around the brake disc (they were a little loose from the factory) and still the brakes are weak. Does anyone know of the RS4 3 EVO enough to shed some light on this? Is the answer "Get the R40, dude"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Scott
Old 07-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi! Adjust the stering with the trim, and u can use to adjust stering finely by the turnbuckle that is connected to steering servo.
Attention to the shaft that holds brake pads, is it assembled right? And Tighten teh screws of the brake pads that allows car to go. Besides, I think your problem is that you have tightened the servo saver screw too much and servo cannot move when braking, you have too loosen it some.
Go on with the rs 43 for a whilw until you learn about rc cars. İt is fast and easy to maintain.
Good luck !
Old 07-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Check the end point adjustment for your brakes. Some radios call it ATV. With your car pulling when accelerating, your car is out of tweak. What that means is that your shocks are of unequal length or you chassis is bent.