Wiki Posts
Search

Best surface for onroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Best surface for onroad

Ok so here is my question, most outdoor tracks that i have seen have been made of asphalt. However i have never seen one that is made of concrete. It seems to me that some textures of concrete have much better traction than asphalt and when done properly are much smoother than asphalt. Any other ideas on this would be helpfull.

Lee
Old 08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ATXPro4
Ok so here is my question, most outdoor tracks that i have seen have been made of asphalt. However i have never seen one that is made of concrete. It seems to me that some textures of concrete have much better traction than asphalt and when done properly are much smoother than asphalt. Any other ideas on this would be helpfull.

Lee
No traction on concrete. There is a non slip coverage for concrete but its so abrasive you need 2 sets of tyres for a 5 min heat.

The best surface for Asphalt is 6mm SMA with a high rubber content. This gives massive grip and a low wear rate

Cheers
Old 08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
The best surface for Asphalt is 6mm SMA with a high rubber content. This gives massive grip and a low wear rate

Cheers
Forgive my ignorance but what is SMA? Can you elaborate? Is it a coating that is applied over existing asphalt? If so, do you know of any companies that do it?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

SMA=Stone Mastic Asphalt. It's a type of asphalt, not coating. Sure, you could probably use it as a top layer over existing asphalt, but you might have to plane some material off the existing surface.
Any road construction company should be able to help, I suppose.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Don't really know what the hell you guy's are talking about but .......

I am in hawaii and outside of the house I'm staying is some very smooth asphalt. Which of course gives sorry traction. But I have something in front of my house in maryland which gives vey good traction but its got alot of pebbles and rock every where. Makes ya wonder......
Old 08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks olev