Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent 960.... >

Serpent 960....

Serpent 960....

Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by masa227
I prefer the laydown position, but I have it in the up position, with just alittle fuel spil on the receiver the car will run away. I spilled on my friends car at a big race sorry Chris.
Fuel spil on the receiver?, I reckon you mean the servo.....
Anyway, the receiver should be protected by a ballon around it......

The laydown position ads an additional piece of mechanisme to the carb, which might get play (but this takes a while), and the up position is more direct.
I doubt if the laydown position really makes a lot of difference CG wise.....
Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sneezer714
I'm almoust finish with the Built of My 960!!
I have a question for you guy's
Which way you guy's prefer the throttle servo, in the Laydown position or
up and why.
i like the upright way
(why) just less parts to worries about and the car looks cleaner that way.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Angry

Originally Posted by PMSorber
It looks neat but don't forget, It does not work on a non bumpy read!
oh really??

why not??

maybe you should give some feedback about youre post (regarding my car) instead posting these useless reply's!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by team novarossi
oh really??

why not??

maybe you should give some feedback about youre post (regarding my car) instead posting these useless reply's!
It is not a useless reply, I only look at your results .... and how the car reacts / drives etc etc ...

You have a point on the 960, your development is only in the wrong direction.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Will Team Serpent USA or any representative be attending the Byron Originals' On-Road Challenge
(July 8-9, Intense RC, Dekalb, IL)...? Just wondering cause I have seen Mike Swauger, Darin Ishitani, Jeffrey Lin, and Mark Sweeney already signed up...

Usually, ILLINOIS does not host something hugh...but I think these top gun are coming cause Winner will get $500 in cash...$50 for just A-main qualified and $xxx for TQ I think.....just wondering.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Advantage of laydown is lower CG. Linkage arrangement does slow the response slightly. I use a very fast servo, so the response is still very good.
Upright arrangement allows for the fastest possible throttle/brake response, but elevates the CG a bit.
With upright configuration, the rx can be installed on the outside of the throttle servo, which keeps it further away from fuel spills.
I still prefer the laydown...rx is inside a balloon between the belt & tank. Not the best place for it, but so far, no problem.
Pros & cons either way. After running the car a bit with the laydown servo, I have to say the negatives I foresaw, are not signigicant enough to make me want to switch to upright... I have no noticeable lack of throttle response.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by sneezer714
I'm almoust finish with the Built of My 960!!
I have a question for you guy's
Which way you guy's prefer the throttle servo, in the Laydown position or
up and why.
Mounted up,
http://www.daltonshop.com/images/S96...30gr_sides.jpg
http://www.daltonshop.com/images/S96...0gr_behind.jpg
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masa227
I prefer the laydown position, but I have it in the up position, with just alittle fuel spil on the receiver the car will run away. I spilled on my friends car at a big race sorry Chris.
I run the throttle servo in the upright position. I think the receiver is safer out by the throttle servo. As Ryan mentioned in his post, a slip with the fuel gun (laydown position) and the receiver could get wet.

No worries Ryan...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by captian
i like the upright way
(why) just less parts to worries about and the car looks cleaner that way.
I like the fewer parts as well. That's the reason I have it upright. A lag issue has come up with laydown but the guys I know who use laydown said it's not much of a problem.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Pyramid, what's the weight for?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Darint
Pyramid, what's the weight for?
Even with 2 servo + receiver on R side, L side still heavier (due to engine weight, brand dependent). That`s why you need to put the weight there to balance up.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by duneland
Advantage of laydown is lower CG. Linkage arrangement does slow the response slightly. I use a very fast servo, so the response is still very good.
Upright arrangement allows for the fastest possible throttle/brake response, but elevates the CG a bit.
With upright configuration, the rx can be installed on the outside of the throttle servo, which keeps it further away from fuel spills.
I still prefer the laydown...rx is inside a balloon between the belt & tank. Not the best place for it, but so far, no problem.
Pros & cons either way. After running the car a bit with the laydown servo, I have to say the negatives I foresaw, are not signigicant enough to make me want to switch to upright... I have no noticeable lack of throttle response.
We have tested this several times and the outcome is that it heavily depends upon the servo used. We use the Sanwa Hyper VRX, this servo has a heavy bottom (low CG). If you mount this servo in Lay-down, your CG will rise
Old 06-23-2006, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks, I noticed the same challenge in balancing my 960. One thought for you though, if you put the lead on the outside of your receiver box, it will be further away from the centerline of the car, and you can use less weight to provide the same balance. It's kinda of a "balancing" act :-) to get a good static balance and getting the car close to minimum weight rule :-)
Old 06-27-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ROAR Region 9 Championships

Hey guys,
RCRCNT in Dallas hosted the Championships. It was an excellent weekend of racing. I ran the 1/8 Spec class and my 960/ZX-21 combo was awesome. I missed TQ by .05 seconds and qualified 2nd. I ended up taking home the 2nd place trophy. My car had a bit more on-throttle steering than I prefer but was manageable.
Brandon McNally was very fast (again) qualifying 2nd in 1/8 Open A Main. He had some troubles and didn't get to finish.

- Kirk

Go Serpent!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys, can you guys direct me to some recent setup sheets for the 960? Or even better post your basic starting setups? thanks Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.