Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by going4#1
I also hear Sanyo does not release a cell for production until they have fully charged and discharged it successfully for over 300 times.
So you think you buy new cells, but in fact they are allready used?.....
Old 01-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

I've heard GP are good but I've always stuck to Sanyo. First Sanyo tends to be a lot more conservative on amperage claims. Second, Sanyo always prints their minimum amps for each a particular type of cell while most other makers do not. I do not know if that is true for GP. Does anyone know? Plus, made in Japan versus Made in China . . . well, you have to admit, Made in Japan gives you a bit more confidence. I also hear Sanyo does not release a cell for production until they have fully charged and discharged it successfully for over 300 times.

Anyway, a pack only charges to the limit of it's worst cell. So, if you have 5 batteries that all say 950 but one only charges to 820, then the pack charges to 820.

Also, get ready for the Sanyo 1000mAh AAA cell. I hear it should hit the street end of the month or early Feb.

As for 2/3 sub-C versus AAA, well AAA is definitely lighter (~30 grams) but some racers like the feeling with a heavier battery in the middle. The car feels more 'planted' they say. For the 960 though, the AAA does allow you to lower the fuel tank CG so that should also give the car a bit more stability, at least when the fuel tank has sufficient fuel in it.
good point on the cell but how do you compare a 2/3 1400 mah to a 950 or 1000mah AAA pack . run time baby run time
Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M7H
So you think you buy new cells, but in fact they are allready used?.....
No. A bit more clarification on my part. What I believe Sanyo is getting at is that during the development of a cell they charge and discharge it 300 times and check to make sure it hitting its minimum charge each time. Once a cell is developed and goes into mass productions they don't check each produced cell more than once likely. A large battery factory can produce 100s of thousands of cells a day and well over a 100 million cells a year. Testing better happen pretty quick when you're making 300-400 thousand cells a day.

Basically, a good battery is all about good chemistry so if you develop a battery solution that, when packed in a cell, allows charging and discharging over 300 times, each cell produced should be very similar. Of course anyone in EP racing knows that each cell is not the same (ever see the price for matched batteries) but at least Sanyo is willing to set a minimum charge. Most makers don't even bother which is why I would strongly avoid budget packs.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by captian
good point on the cell but how do you compare a 2/3 1400 mah to a 950 or 1000mah AAA pack . run time baby run time
It's always a trade-off. I can run a 60 minute race with a 900mAh battery but to do so I need to be very patient and charge it slowly so I can get the max charge out of it. With 1400 I have a little more leeway. But, the 1400 is heavier. I need a speedy race car so adding weight isn't going to help.

Plus, remember a pack in no better than it's worst cell. A battery pack isn't like a cup of water you can pour electricity into. Cells can wear out. They can also get damaged by overcharging. Poorly made cells may also fail to charge properly severly undercharging the pack.

I've had my experience with cheap cells. I had a couple of Sanyo 3600mah 6-cell pack for my starter box and they lasted well over a year. When they started to loose their punch I picked up a couple of cheapy 3300mAh Chinese made packs. I've had them 2 months and I'm ready to dump them already. My car comes racing into the pit, stalls, pitman grabs the starter box and . . . . runs to find another starter box because mine is discharged. Odd since I had charged the box the night before. Can't recall that was a problem with Sanyo cells. Sure, I pay 50 percent more for Sanyo but the frustration just was not worth the money I saved.

If you're set on getting a 1400mah try to find the most reputable maker you can. Quality over quantity is highly advised.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

It's always a trade-off. I can run a 60 minute race with a 900mAh battery but to do so I need to be very patient and charge it slowly so I can get the max charge out of it. With 1400 I have a little more leeway. But, the 1400 is heavier. I need a speedy race car so adding weight isn't going to help.

Plus, remember a pack in no better than it's worst cell. A battery pack isn't like a cup of water you can pour electricity into. Cells can wear out. They can also get damaged by overcharging. Poorly made cells may also fail to charge properly severly undercharging the pack.

I've had my experience with cheap cells. I had a couple of Sanyo 3600mah 6-cell pack for my starter box and they lasted well over a year. When they started to loose their punch I picked up a couple of cheapy 3300mAh Chinese made packs. I've had them 2 months and I'm ready to dump them already. My car comes racing into the pit, stalls, pitman grabs the starter box and . . . . runs to find another starter box because mine is discharged. Odd since I had charged the box the night before. Can't recall that was a problem with Sanyo cells. Sure, I pay 50 percent more for Sanyo but the frustration just was not worth the money I saved.

If you're set on getting a 1400mah try to find the most reputable maker you can. Quality over quantity is highly advised.
well i did that and i have been using orion cell witch is a sanyo base cell and has all the charging info on the cell. so i payed a grip for the battery. as for weight the car is under the 2525grams . so you will have to add back .as for the 60mins with 900mah you will have to plug in at the last minute and hope they don"t dump..the weight between the two is i think is like 30grams
Old 01-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Tech Adept

hi
where can i have #part for 960?
i want to buy 960 in 2 weeks,but i found a guy who sells serpent part,but i don't know if it's compatible with 960
is 960's speed gear are the same than vector?(#9645,9648,9649)
is 960's driveshaft front the same than vector?(#909220)
is 960's centax clutch shoe the same than vector?(#6588)
is 960's centrifugal shoes the same than vector?

thank you
Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

909220 yes will fit front
6588 yes will fit clutch disk
thats it
Old 01-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks
and the remainder is not good?

45T,48T,49T are not the good #part?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by captian
... as for the 60mins with 900mah you will have to plug in at the last minute and hope they don"t dump..the weight between the two is i think is like 30grams
Exactly. But you got to slow charge or most chargers will false peak. Anyway, the rumour is the AAA 1000mAh are almost here. The extra 100mAh will be very welcome. I was considering Li-Po but all the extra hassle of adding a regulator plus the worry that the cells should never discharge down to 0 or they may get damaged are worries I don't need. Hopefully a 1000mAh pack will be enough for a 60 minute race.

Rob
Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

well going 4#1 only time will tell
Old 01-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nefastseven
Thanks

The old Vector spurs do not fit.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nefastseven
Thanks

sorry is like chris said the two speed is oldergears have changed
Old 01-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Chris , good luck this weekend in Vegas!!! Hopefully its not windy.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MCRUZ
Chris , good luck this weekend in Vegas!!! Hopefully its not windy.
Thanks Marc..To bad you're not going. It would of been fun. BTW congrats on the new Kyosho ride.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

thanks, try to watch the fight if u can. You probaby will see the whole pinoy population in Vegas!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.