Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
permatex, its an automotive brand. i have tried something else , i ground the grub screw flat at the bottom, then more loctite. so ill try this
You dont want to do that. The shape of the grubscrew, if you look at it it looks like cup with the top being sharp, helps it grag onto the shaft, thats why its there, just replace the grubscrew. Use locktite on it, and let it set at least overnight.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

any guys having problems with the grub screw on the brake pulley coming loose all the time. i have tried blue loctite, red loctite and after every run i have to keep tightening it. yuou know as it comes loose the brake setup changes, so i know when its loose , i loose brakes. look forward to any tips i have not tried yet.
you may already know this, but
when you are tightening a grub screw, make certain it is centered on the flat. you can ensure this by leaving the screw slightly loose and wiggle, tighten slightly and wiggle, repeat until no wiggle. then snug it down.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
You dont want to do that. The shape of the grubscrew, if you look at it it looks like cup with the top being sharp, helps it grag onto the shaft, thats why its there, just replace the grubscrew. Use locktite on it, and let it set at least overnight.
+1, in fact the better style has serrations or little teeth on the edge of the 'cup'. you don't want to modify the screw, but you may want to modify the shaft's flat to ensure there are no burr's or obstructions for the screw to get a nice full contact on.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

lol i neva use lock tite on anything lol its come loose once on me but i just tightend it up heaps and its been good for abour 5 tanks so far
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
haha, well i did do it. i did use loctite as well. and it set in the 3 hour drive to the track. it never came loose, so now at least i have this problem sorted now. thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

haha, well i did do it. i did use loctite as well. and it set in the 3 hour drive to the track. it never came loose, so now at least i have this problem sorted now. thanks guys.
I knew it!
I used red loctite (atleast, a similar brand) and last time (when these 2 long screws came loose) I almost couldn't even unscrew the grubscrew...
So it has to be either you using not enough loctite, or a bad product...
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Serpent 720 and 960 Sweep at Ft. Myers, Florida

Racers met for the 4th race of the prestigious and highly competitive Florida On Road Gas Series at Ft. Myers, Florida on Dec. 6-7. The organizers had the track in excellent condition at this world famous track. Lap times were very fast and very close to Winternats times.

DJ Apolaro showed everyone the fast way around in qualifying. He TQ’ed the 1/10 Sedan Class with his Serpent 720-08 by a comfortable margin. Paolo Morganti continued the Serpent show with his Serpent 960-08. Paolo TQ’ed 1/8 Scale with a very fast 25 lap run. This meant that Serpent cars would start from the pole position in both classes.

The 1/10 A Final saw DJ Apolaro dominate this race. He kept the lead from his pole position and never was challenged as he went on to a start to finish victory with his Serpent 720-08.

The 1/8 A Final had Paolo Morganti keeping his lead from the pole position. The challengers had their problems as Paolo continued to increase his lead. With so many cars dropping out Paolo had built up almost a 5 lap lead over the field. Then the unexpected happened and 1st gear failed. With help from DJ Apolaro and Doug McNeely the gear was changed very quickly and Paolo was back on the track in 2nd Place 1 lap down to the leader. He quickly got one lap back and was chasing down the new leader. As Paolo got closer the leader made a mistake and Paolo passed and went on to a hard fought victory with his Serpent 960-08.

With their victories in 1/10 Sedan and 1/8 Scale, DJ Apolaro and Paolo Morganti are the Florida On Road Gas Series points leaders in both classes with their Serpent 720-08 and Serpent 960-08.

A big thank from Team Serpent to the race organizers for having the track clean and fast and providing a great weekend of competitive racing.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

Scoop: Serpent 960 version 09 .... soon

Serpent will release the 09 version of the successful Serpent 960 platform in February 2009.

Michael Salven has developed a number of new idea’s over 2008 and discussed the performance of the current 08 version with Serpent drivers and Team drivers. Feedback of the drivers is used to take the 960 platform to its next level of development. It was clear that the Serpent drivers are really happy with the current 08 version already, as results also show clearly. So just wait and see how Michael Salven takes the 960 to an even higher level of engineering and performance.

The new design is concentrated on the rear end of the car to make it both stiffer , easier to assemble and maintain and feature new easy ways to change set-up. Special attention has been given to the alignment of the 2-speed and rear shaft, to ensure a very free drive train, especially under power. Lots of attention to detail and beautiful design all aimed to improve handling and sheer performance: faster, stronger and easier

The proven rear-end geometry remains, so wishbones and uprights (OS2) remain. Also design of the transmission parts remain the same, but quality of the parts will move up further to cope with the ever increasing engine power. Superb quality spring-steel will be the basis for the transmission parts. The chassis changed a little along with the new rear end. The middle and front sections of the 960 remain, and also there quality of all parts has moved up where needed. RCC shocks have been revised slightly, but making a big difference.

You will be delighted with many detail changes in this new car, making the 960 even nicer to work on. So both driver and mechanic happy !

The 09 version of the 960 (final name to follow) will be introduced as complete kit in a nice smaller packing with full color manual / ref guide and new decals.

Serpent will also offer a conversion-set to turn the 08 version car into the new 09 version. Also this set will come with a full instruction-set.

For those who want to pre-order, here are the item-numbers to make your reservations:
903009 Serpent 96X 4wd 1/8 scale racing car
903326 Conversion-set 960-08 to 96X

More details and images to follow in next publications.

Team Serpent
Michael Salven / Ronald Baar
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 960....-960-09-side.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by serpentamerica
Scoop: Serpent 960 version 09 .... soon

Serpent will release the 09 version of the successful Serpent 960 platform in February 2009.

Michael Salven has developed a number of new idea’s over 2008 and discussed the performance of the current 08 version with Serpent drivers and Team drivers. Feedback of the drivers is used to take the 960 platform to its next level of development. It was clear that the Serpent drivers are really happy with the current 08 version already, as results also show clearly. So just wait and see how Michael Salven takes the 960 to an even higher level of engineering and performance.

The new design is concentrated on the rear end of the car to make it both stiffer , easier to assemble and maintain and feature new easy ways to change set-up. Special attention has been given to the alignment of the 2-speed and rear shaft, to ensure a very free drive train, especially under power. Lots of attention to detail and beautiful design all aimed to improve handling and sheer performance: faster, stronger and easier

The proven rear-end geometry remains, so wishbones and uprights (OS2) remain. Also design of the transmission parts remain the same, but quality of the parts will move up further to cope with the ever increasing engine power. Superb quality spring-steel will be the basis for the transmission parts. The chassis changed a little along with the new rear end. The middle and front sections of the 960 remain, and also there quality of all parts has moved up where needed. RCC shocks have been revised slightly, but making a big difference.

You will be delighted with many detail changes in this new car, making the 960 even nicer to work on. So both driver and mechanic happy !

The 09 version of the 960 (final name to follow) will be introduced as complete kit in a nice smaller packing with full color manual / ref guide and new decals.

Serpent will also offer a conversion-set to turn the 08 version car into the new 09 version. Also this set will come with a full instruction-set.

For those who want to pre-order, here are the item-numbers to make your reservations:
903009 Serpent 96X 4wd 1/8 scale racing car
903326 Conversion-set 960-08 to 96X

More details and images to follow in next publications.

Team Serpent
Michael Salven / Ronald Baar
awesome!!!i gues its time to retire the awesome 950....
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got a lot of calls regarding the 09' upgrade, just want to let the guys who are interested to know that in order to upgrade to an 09' version, your car first have to be an 08' model.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, I am thinking about getting into the 1/8 on road racing.
At the moment I am racing Truggies.

As this is a serpent forum I might not get the answer I am looking for but I will try anyway.

How does the Serpent compare to the Mugen MRX4X ?
Just in qulity and all the rest.

As I have seen the Mugen is priced higher than the Serepnt.

Just trying to find out a little about the two.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can anyone help me out here?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

They are both good cars, as is the Kyosho.

My recommendation is the same as I tell everyone looking into getting into any form of RC racing: go to the track where you plan on racing before you buy a car, and heavily consider getting the same car that either the majority of guys are racing, or at least that a few of the more friendly, faster guys are using.

Even if one car were slightly superior to the others (arguable either way, they seem very close to me at this point), you don't want to be a beginner in a new class for you with a car that no one else runs at your track.

If both Mugens and Serpents are well represented at your track, I'd go with the Serpent.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Congrats to DJ Apolaro on his excellent performance this past weekend at the TFT @ Homestead

TQ with new record, new lap time record and victory says a lot about this "newby" in 1/8 scale and his equipment. WAY TO GO!!!

Race report here:

http://www.serpent.com/news/12623/Se...tots-race.html
Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

congrats dj on your win and track record . see you have put in a lot work running 1/8 and i see its paying off for you keep up the good work .
jimmy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.