Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Storm_PT
I'm just about at the end of the build of my 960'08.
The only big annoyance in the kit was the left carbon brace. The slot for the belt tensioner is WAY too narrow to fit the part and the hole for the spacer (where the left bearing goes) is also too small. I had to enlarge both to mount the parts (and they are still a very tight fit). There's no way they would've gone in without enlarging.

Is this just my kit or is it widespread ?
You might be doing something wrong, never seen that problem before, I have built a lot of the 08 kits and every part fits perfect, can you post a picture of the part you are having problems with?

Originally Posted by pepsidawg
I just saw the news on Serpents website on Salven winning in Germany..Whats up with the wheels on his car--they look like Mugen's. Does this mean an update for the 960?
That is the 960 with the optional OS 2 suspension kit, which is sold as an optional part for the 08' 960 kits. it used to be included before but due to the HIGH Euro dollar and instead of increasing the price, Serpent USA kept the price the same but will not be including the OS 2 option parts.

Last edited by Team Kamikaze; 05-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pepsidawg
I just saw the news on Serpents website on Salven winning in Germany..Whats up with the wheels on his car--they look like Mugen's. Does this mean an update for the 960?
There is no need for an update. Serpent already has the OS1 and OS2 option and this allows you to run any brand of tire you can think of. With or without offset. I think maybe there is a new serpent tire coming and that is a better guess.

DJ Apolaro
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Hi,
Michael is using the OS2 so he can choose all Mugen/Kyosho rims.
but of course depending of the track.
also good to see 2x Collari body on the podium looks promising for the future
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
You might be doing something wrong, never seen that problem before, I have built a lot of the 08 kits and every part fits perfect, can you post a picture of the part you are having problems with?
Sure, here is a pic of the part. I had to enlarge the slot for the belt tensioner a bit (the "T" part in the back wouldnt go in and even if it did it would be so tight, it would be impossible to adjust the height). I also had to enlarge the round hole where the spacer goes (the one for the left bearing of the main shaft) and even that way its a real fight to get the part off so i can e.g. remove the engine.

Its weird because i had these same parts as an upgrade for my previous 960 and they would fit without any problem.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 960....-img_1570.jpg  
Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Sure, here is a pic of the part. I had to enlarge the slot for the belt tensioner a bit (the "T" part in the back wouldnt go in and even if it did it would be so tight, it would be impossible to adjust the height). I also had to enlarge the round hole where the spacer goes (the one for the left bearing of the main shaft) and even that way its a real fight to get the part off so i can e.g. remove the engine.

Its weird because i had these same parts as an upgrade for my previous 960 and they would fit without any problem.
Now I see what you mean, that is something you don't see in every kit, but it sure does show on the picture.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know the difference between OS1 and OS2 other than the rim? Will there be any advantage using OS2 on the handeling? For the rear end, as the width of the up right is narrower than OS1. Will the ball bearing require more frequent maintenance?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey guys, well I'm thinking about buying a serpent because of all the extras it has over a mrx4x standard. Only thing holding me back is the phillips screws.

Does anyone know where I can get some stainless or titanium hex head screw kits from for this car?

Thanks.

p.s, Kamikaze- when are you expecting the kits to come back in stock?

cheers, Ryan
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ryan41
hey guys, well I'm thinking about buying a serpent because of all the extras it has over a mrx4x standard. Only thing holding me back is the phillips screws.

Does anyone know where I can get some stainless or titanium hex head screw kits from for this car?

Thanks.

p.s, Kamikaze- when are you expecting the kits to come back in stock?

cheers, Ryan
Hi Ryan,
Tony's screws sells Stainless steel screws for the 960, it comes in a kit, the .08' 960's are in stock!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ryan41
tony's sells nice black finish steel screws: http://www.tonysscrews.com
and rcscrewz sells a stainless set http://rcscrewz.com

tony's come individually bagged and identified and rcscrewz come in a plastic box.

it may just be my eyes, but the black screws' threads look stronger, the stainless screw threads seem shallower cut and not as deep.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just ordered it then...cant wait

also, just tried to buy some tony screws...doesnt ship to Australia. That sucks lol.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm just about at the end of the build of my 960'08.
The only big annoyance in the kit was the left carbon brace. The slot for the belt tensioner is WAY too narrow to fit the part and the hole for the spacer (where the left bearing goes) is also too small. I had to enlarge both to mount the parts (and they are still a very tight fit). There's no way they would've gone in without enlarging.

Is this just my kit or is it widespread ?
i just got my 08 kit in and had the exact same problem. i could do what you did but before that route i am going to try and find a new peice that is small enough to fit in there at the local hobby shop.

other than that the kit is very well made overall and did not have any problems with it during assembly.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default steering servo

I am running futabe 9402 steering servo in my 08, and I am having issues with the servo horn stripping. It takes a pretty good impact to do it, but it doesn't seem like the horn is going all the way onto the servo. does it need to be pressed onto the servo? Is there a good replacement for the serpent, maybe an aluminum piece that has the same geometry? BTW I do have the right #25 horn
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

bigemike, I had the same problem happen to me.

2 Years ago, with my S950R, I stripped the internals of my 9402 servo, Last race, with my S960'08, I stripped the #25 servo horn, with a 9452 attached to it...

After consultation with Serpent (I talk to them regularly) I decided to just replace the servohorn (#25)
I think this is better then putting in an aluminium one, because then at impact you will strip your servo...

FYI, in the Vector time there where 3 springs for the servosaver, Gold, Silver and Black. After some experience, Black was to hard and Gold to soft, Silver is the only spring now there is.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

just finished the build on my 960 and was wondering about tires. do the 960 08 kits come with wheels? i did not get any in my kit, but the 950r kit i had did come with the wheels/tires.

just finding out if i got gimped on the package.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Congrats to DJ and Roniel for their outstanding performance at this weekend Regionals.

DJ was extremely fast and the man to beat the whole weekend. First time out with the car, incredible!!!

Roniel was fast and consistant. Bad luck with the engine...

See you guys the next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.