Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff1
What body ?
Look great!
That is a Protoform T530.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
In my opinion, i believe that the original offset of the car made it extremely smooth and easier to drive, but the OS2 change made it feel more reactive or sensitive to steering input. Which can be very very valuable to tracks located in the United states, since many of our tracks have technical in-fields versus the tracks located outside the US which contain more sweeping, long, wide turns.

Remember, use the offsets as a Tuning option for YOUR driving style. It may be beneficial for some, but not others.
Sounds like I'd benefit from the OS2. The track here for 1/8th is very tight. Is OS2 out yet?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

They will be available in the next work week or so. Very soon! I know i know, im anxious too guys.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racer Z
I know I am going to go with the Mugen/Kyosho offset to gain some much needed off and on power steering!! My car was great at 301 last year but could benefit from the different offset for sure. I can't wait!!
More on power steering.....Can't wait to hit the 301 Sweeper!!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

What prompted the change on the rear carrier of the 07 model with 3 pivot balls to the 08 version with 2 pivot balls and camber link?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by UPSguy
What prompted the change on the rear carrier of the 07 model with 3 pivot balls to the 08 version with 2 pivot balls and camber link?
Serpent's web site gives the following reason . . .

There are also new lower wishbones that are now stronger around the pivot pin and pivot balls, while the upper arms have been redesigned to allow the easy adjustment of the camber and camber rise.

Adjustment is much easier I would agree (I had an MRX-4 and adjustment was easier).

While we can never know for sure (unless Serpent themselves comes out and says so) I think the second unspoken reason was a change in mindset at Serpent. Serpent was the pioneer in a number of ideas used in RC onroad cars. Competitors initially came out with inferior cars but over time improved their products to the point where they were making equal or better products. Serpent's initial reaction seemed to be 'if it wasn't invented here we don't use it'. But I think overtime (accompied with falling sales) it was clear the company needed to much more broad minded in terms of product development. The 3 principals (Kuer, Salven, Baar) are fairly competitive individuals. Knowing that most RC technology has no patents on it made the decision easier. If the competition had no qualms about 'borrowing ideas' from Serpent, Serpent would have to play by the same rules. You can't bring a knife to a gun fight no matter how good the knife is.

I'd have to say the new mindset is well suited to today's market. Serpent's products are better than ever and highly competitive. Among RC makers, Serpent is a definite winner.

Rob

Last edited by going4#1; 01-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great response there Going4#1, thanks. Oh, I always carry at least 1 gun and knife to all fights
Old 01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

The change to the usage of a "camber link" instead of a pivot ball enables the user of the car to fine tune the Roll Center of the car. By adding shims underneath the linkage on the upright side you can raise the roll center and by removing shims you lower the roll center. Now that we have the capabilities to adjust roll center at the upper arm, it called for a change in bodymount design.

By making the bodymount on the upright, it allows for a more "direct" downforce feeling since the pivot point is somewhere near the centerline of the axle. The other reason is, now that we can change the height of the upper arm, the body mount isnt affected by the change since they are completely independent of each other.

Another great benefit is we have more and more options for rear upper arm length with the 2 existing through the usage of inserts, and the 3 on the upright itself.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another question, are there any options that are considered mandatory items on the 08? Is the radio plate support bracket in aluminum a tuning option or just something to add bling?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

How about a set of replacement screws with hex heads? I know if you use the proper size screw driver that there is no problem but I already have plenty of quality hex drivers from my heli days?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It does stiffen the chassis a bit, its always a nice item to get
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the only other tuning part that I would recommend is the set of spur gears that come in a set I think its comes with 5 or six gears
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UPSguy
How about a set of replacement screws with hex heads? I know if you use the proper size screw driver that there is no problem but I already have plenty of quality hex drivers from my heli days?
A stiff chassis, always aides in tuning due to the reduction another variable to add into the bunch. It will make your suspension changes more noticeable.

The hex head screw idea isn't a bad one, just personal preference. most of the chassis uses 4x10mm screws.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

It may not be mandatory, but running the lightweight pulley adaptors i believe is a must. Having a lightweight drivetrain aides in acceleration which is always a good thing. Also the lightweight middle shaft!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Oops i also forgot to mention, the lightweight quick release levers V2.

Not only do they reduce rotating mass as well, they include the usage of a set screw which help to retain the 2.5mm pin that sits on the axle to hold the wheel in place.

Without it, losing pins can occur very easily and can become frustrating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.