Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho vs HPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho vs HPI

alright, i am a noob. be nice, so i won't noob you the 2nd time.

I am in the market buying a nitro.. always wanted a Kyosho, but i want to drift the little mofo, and HPI has this "drift kit" that is sucking me to the dark side..

what do you OGs say?

I think i am going to start with a FW-05 S... maybe modd it so it is only rear wheel drive? or is it better to mod a belt drive car to RWD? In that case, V-one III ?

i am fishing for any comments, if your fingers are not too lazy, post some sh!t.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Join the club... Get a V one S III!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

hey man, mind telling me why you got the V-One S III?

looks like it's your 1st nitro eh?.. what made you pick the V-one S III and not the FW05?..

I will join your gang if you can convince me, haha..
Old 07-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

If you want a drift nitro car, the kyosho isnt what you should go for. Check between hpi and yokomo. If you feel the need to build the car, which everyone suggest for your 1st car, then go with hpi. If not, go with yokomo since its ready to run(rtr)
Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the input,

I think building the car myself is where the fun is at.. I would never go for an RTR.

what makes HPI or Yokomo better to drift than Kyosho? if Kyosho is more racing based.. then.. i believe it would also be better to drift.. right?..

now, i think i might go for the V-one S III.. just cus its a newer design..
or....FW 05 is still better??.....
Old 07-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

kyosho is more of a track real race type car. with the drift cars, the engine is mounted diffrently and a diffrent style tire is use. If your looking for something to take to the track , get the kyosho, but keep in ming there are alot of other kits also. Hpi and Yokomo both offer cars in the same class as the v one series and the fw.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Jye:
thanks yet again.
I walked into a model shop yesterday and decided to do my search and then empty out my wallet, your info has been helpful. (the sales guy is more into flying R/Cs) I guess i will go back today and see what I like and see what suits my need the most.

I guess HPI and Kyosho are like BMW vs Benz, Apple vs Microsoft, Nikon vs Canon... haha.. to each his own.

I am sticking with kyosho at the moment, hoping to get more info on the pros and cons on the S series of both, if i could get more input it would be great.

btw, this is a great forum... not as much hating as the ones i've been on after reading a few other threads.. haha..

peace.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah good choice... Kyosho... heehee
Old 07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is what i think, go and get a kyosho V1 RRR, one of the best cars out there for racing, or a mugen MTX3, serpent 710, there are a couple of others that are at the top but these are what i know best. Then order the yokomo drifting tires, that in the end will be all that u really need to drift is the tires. And you will also have a car that when setup for racing can be killer on the track. All of these cars are kits so u get to build it. If you want a kit that will drift and can be really fast on a track the HPI R40 will go for under 300.00 some places, thats at least 100.00 less than the others i have listed.
I hope this helps a lot.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

If you can give a price range your in for JUST the actual kit, that can help us suggest something more appropriatley.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default choice

K Y O S H O
Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Tech Rookie

ATXPro4:
thanks for your suggestion. I don't want to start with the RRR, i want to start from the basics, so I figured buying the 'S' models could give me a better udnerstanding on what sucks and what needs to be modded.. if I work from a good platform (such as the RRR) in the beginning.. i think i'd be spoiled and not learn what could be important..

I was pretty firm on getting the Kyosho FW05.. with a doubt that it couldn't drift as nice as the HPI R40?(cus of that drift kit of theirs..) and then Dragon's V-One S III thread kinda convinced me to get that..then.. Jye said HPIs and Yokomo,..and then.. mugen MTX.. Tamia..etc.... (and I thought only kyosho made nitro R/Cs...haha) and after a little more of research I think i am just going to stay with Kysho.... blah blah blah..

so, the verdict?.. haha..

V-ONE S III
or
FW05 S

Jye: I don't have a price range, i am a rich ass,

haha.. just kidding. I'm more of a guy who would save up for what would satisfy my need. budget for all is at USD800 now..
if you all can suggest on anything else that I'll need.. it will be greatly appriciated
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

I run an FW05RR, and highly suggest Kyosho. My car is very fun, and very fast. Kyosho parts quality shows you they've been doing this a while, and with the hopeful emergence of Kyosho America parts should be less of a problem than it has been traditionally. Parts from Kyosho America would seem to be significantly cheaper than what I'm used to (but they don't even sell the FW05RR [which I find vaguely insulting because I think its fast enough to be offered as a race kit and I like the belt or shaft option in the line-up]).

The FW05S is completely upgradeable to RR status, while the VoneS III is considerably different than the RRR... and well, honestly, I just love the rip this sucker has when it just winds up and snaps past other cars out of the corners .

As for drifting... well I admit that my car is capable of spinning the tires out of every corner if I want to... this can be advantageous for some enjoyable sideways time. But I must also admit that the HPI's Stage D drift kit when added to an HPI RS4-3 would probably be the best choice for realistic scale nitro drifting.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Jye
Tech Regular

Since youe set on a kit and you really want to get kind of a basic first start, look into your engine and radio equipment now. Radio is basically just a choice as far as i know, since i understand each company is fairly equal when it comes to each's top products. As far as engine, os .12 tz 3 port or 5. There are better engine's but this is very good for its price and one of the easiest to tune.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also keep in mind that if you plan on doing this for a while it probably wont be a bad investment to get one of the higher end radios, if you get into racing you are gonig to want one at some point in time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.