Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by sbmon
That little extra dial (cam) on the front sway bar is for sway bar and droop adjustment does not suck. In fact it is very critical for fine tuning the front end suspension. Tha kawahara front sway bar that I use actually has one of those adjustment cams on both sides which allows for very precise adjustments. Whith out this adjustment cam you could not make your front droop and sway bar engage perfectly even. It's funny how many people neglect to relize the importance of the front cam on the sway bar, and how it can make the difference between an exceptional handling car vs an ill handling car.
It sucks! Trying to get your droop just right with that thing sucks a big one. I can give you a bunch of other people who hate that thing too. Even if it is for fine tuning its no good. you try to adjust the left and it offsets the right. Give me a simple front droop so that i can make both the left and right side equal. I have been given so many ways to try and adjust it so that both sides are equal before you adjust the droop screws and it never works. Somehwere down the line it starts to effect the opposite side. Sometimes "fine tuning" is more trouble than its worth. give me a simple screw to adjust that will do its job and i'm happy.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Whether or not you like the cam adjustment on the front sway bar does not mean it is unimportant. I agree setting it up properly is a little tedious but it pays off with a better handling car. I too grew tired of setting it up and tried for several weeks to run the mtx3 without the sway bars (tried all kinds of different springs and droop settings with and without rear swaybar) to avoid messing with the cam , but ultimately came to the conclusion that the fuss of the cam was worth the time. The car just handles much better with the front swaybar. It just takes time off the track (setting up) to make up time on the track.
On a side note I had a Ntc3 with a front sway bar that would never engage the opposite side suspension evenly and wondered why associated did not design something to remedy this, then I got a Mugen.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default mtx3 susp. and sway bars set up?

are there any directions on how to set that cam and sway bars?

my car handles ok but i dont know much about set up, and i know it can be better.

any info is great!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by sbmon
Whether or not you like the cam adjustment on the front sway bar does not mean it is unimportant. I agree setting it up properly is a little tedious but it pays off with a better handling car. I too grew tired of setting it up and tried for several weeks to run the mtx3 without the sway bars (tried all kinds of different springs and droop settings with and without rear swaybar) to avoid messing with the cam , but ultimately came to the conclusion that the fuss of the cam was worth the time. The car just handles much better with the front swaybar. It just takes time off the track (setting up) to make up time on the track.
On a side note I had a Ntc3 with a front sway bar that would never engage the opposite side suspension evenly and wondered why associated did not design something to remedy this, then I got a Mugen.
Please dont get me wrong. I love the MTX-3. I never run without the front sway bar. My only problem is with the dial thing. I have been told that to setup the droop on the front, one way is to take off the sway bar and put the plastic back on and use the dial thing to make sure the arms on the left and right are equal. Then put the sway back in and adjust the droop screws. Another way is to keep the sway bar on and then adjust the right side first to whatever droop you want, then adjust the left side with the droop screw and the dial thing. But when you do this as you screw in the droop screw it also move the right said. so you have to screw the right side in a little, then the left, then the dial thing. and even then it never looks right. I must spend about 45 minutes each time i adjust the front droop all because the dial thing. I usually make the sway bar up about 15 degrees. That i have no problem with. For the back it takes me all of like 1 minute. Its just that dial thing can really mess things up.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

does ur name have anything to do with the band?
Old 09-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rdub202
does ur name have anything to do with the band?
who's name?
Old 09-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

yours-there is a local band around here and they are called alucard and i was juss wondering cuz they are sweet...
Old 09-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rdub202
yours-there is a local band around here and they are called alucard and i was juss wondering cuz they are sweet...
Nope. I got my name from a friend of mine about 10 years ago when the internet was first getting out to the public. He wanted to know if i was online and if so what my "handle" was online. At that time it was ShadowsRun. He was telling me of an old B/W movie where these Americans were hauling cargo over Transylvania and on the cargo box it read Alucard. They happened to have a mirror on the airplane and they happened to glance over at the mirror and when looking at the mirror it read Dracula. Then by that time he escaped and all hell broke loose. I liked the story and have kept the name ever since.

I was born in Battle Creek, MI but have lived in Miami for 23 years. Still go back every now and then to visit family and go to the U.P.. My grandparents have a cabin up there and we visit Mackinaw Island every now and then.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

cool stuff-well sorry for interupting the mtx talk

back to regularly scheduled programming...
Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sway Bar tweak

Originally posted by alucard13
It sucks! Trying to get your droop just right with that thing sucks a big one. I can give you a bunch of other people who hate that thing too. Even if it is for fine tuning its no good. you try to adjust the left and it offsets the right. Give me a simple front droop so that i can make both the left and right side equal. I have been given so many ways to try and adjust it so that both sides are equal before you adjust the droop screws and it never works. Somehwere down the line it starts to effect the opposite side. Sometimes "fine tuning" is more trouble than its worth. give me a simple screw to adjust that will do its job and i'm happy.
The problem with the current front end of the MTX3 is that the droop screws come in contact on the front sway bar holder. People have a hard time getting the droop settings even from left to right while getting the sway bar evenly tweaked. The problem I have is that when you have it all set correctly-left and right droop and you tighten down on the cam screw, your droop settings change a little. It's almost impossible to get the front cam screw tightened so that it's perfect-left and right droop with the sway bar cam adjustment screw tight. It would be alot easier if the droop screws made contact on the suspension arms directly, independent of the sway bar holders (as on the older Serpent cars like the Vector and Veteq) It would then be alot easier to set up your front end:

1. Disconnect front sway bar and shocks.
2. Set left and right side droop equally.
3. Connect front sway bar and adjust cam screw so that left and right side are even (at same droop settings) by adjusting cam.
4. Re-connect shocks.

By the way, I am using the 3 Racing aluminum sway bar holders that have the cam adjustment on both sides. It makes it alot easier to adjust. And the fact that aluminum doesn't "squish" means that the settings don't change as much when you tighten down on the cam screws.

Whew! That whas alot of typing!
Old 09-06-2004, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone here run the front diff on the mtx3? Im concidering building the front diff to use at a fairly tight track that i occasionally run at. The track if fairly tight and low grip. Does anyone think the added braking would make up for the pros of the One way on a tight low grip track?

Also if you are going to run a front diff what oil would you use say if i was running #30,000 in the rear? Better to run lighter in the front?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by bleach1
Does anyone here run the front diff on the mtx3? Im concidering building the front diff to use at a fairly tight track that i occasionally run at. The track if fairly tight and low grip. Does anyone think the added braking would make up for the pros of the One way on a tight low grip track?

Also if you are going to run a front diff what oil would you use say if i was running #30,000 in the rear? Better to run lighter in the front?

All of the cars(MTX3 and others) that run at our local track use a front diff for both rubber and foam tire class. Our track is also tight and gets slippery when the track gets to be over 125 degrees F. Need the brakes for a tight track.

As far as diff oils, most use 20-30K in front and 5-7K rear diff oil for rubber and 10-20K rear diff oil for foams.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by bleach1

When i run my front diff i run it with 100,000. To make it a stiff as i can. I am currently running 10,000 in the rear but someone told me to put 30,000 in and thats what i'm going to do next chance i get.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ed, good info on the sway bar. I have tried it like that and it always goes wierd sometime during the process. However i did not know about those alumunium sway bar holders. I am going to have to pick some up. do you have any at the shop?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by alucard13
Ed, good info on the sway bar. I have tried it like that and it always goes wierd sometime during the process. However i did not know about those alumunium sway bar holders. I am going to have to pick some up. do you have any at the shop?
I think so Mike. I'm not sure though. It's sold under the RD Logics label and I think we had one left. If not, we'll re-order them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.