Mugen MTX-3

Old 06-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bandeira
Yeah... I've sen lots of people using this method, but not in MTX3 because there is nowhere in the rear shock tower for you to secure your zip-tie...
Seems to me a drill and some zipties could make it work. I have never tried it specifically on the MTX3.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Seems to me a drill and some zipties could make it work. I have never tried it specifically on the MTX3.
But in the MTX3 you dont have plenty space as other cars...

Ed Delgado's car rear end

Sorry MR.Delgado, your car was the last one to have a picture of the rear end posted... BTW, I think I know your brother, or cousin, or... dunno... Henry is his name...

I thought about making a graphite bar thru the uppermost holes in the shock tower with some space for the zip-tie in it... but as my car is a little bit on the heavy side I would prefer to stay away from this option...

Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Does Fullthrotle speedway have a web site
Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.fullthrottlespeedway.com/
Old 06-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the overall opinion on running the Kawahara 16/19 pulleys vs. the plastic mugen pulleys if money is no object? Do the Kawahara weigh more but grab better or what?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm new to this but you have another option as well 3 Racing has a nice setup on pulleys and gears. Bought these as they where cheeper in cost but look nice. Just got them in today. I ditched the plastic gears & pulleys. I did go with the 19t and 16t setup. You will need a different belt for it. Smaller. There is aguy here that sells them on E-bay pretty nice person to do business with. here's his E-bay link: DB Racing

For 3 Racing I went to Precision RC gears and pulleys 4th page

David I see your out of Austin. Phat Boyz in SA just opened with a new Roar sanctioned track. It's real nice and big. They got there act together on this one. give it a try!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: 16/19 belts

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing

Using the usual "push along the ground" test, the Mugen doesn't roll nearly as well as the EVO. I'd like to fix this.
Gav,

I tried the WD40 thing and didnt really notice the difference.

My belts are quite old and loose and this helps a lot.

I have been using a silicon (dry) lube on my belts and pulleys recently and it seems to make a difference.

It also has the added benefit of not picking up as much sh1t on the pulleys, i'll continue doing it for that reason alone.

Also your brakes may take some 'wearing in' .

DC
Old 06-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry MR.Delgado, your car was the last one to have a picture of the rear end posted... BTW, I think I know your brother, or cousin, or... dunno... Henry is his name...

Henry is his dad.... =) i love that guy !
Old 06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default KAWAHARA NEG DIFF

Anyone have a Kawahara neg diff for sale used? P/M me and let me know. Thanx
Old 06-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Tech Initiate

If you're looking for the 3Racing pulleys, we have them all available at http://shop.radiostyrt.no/ aswell. You won't find them cheaper anywhere else as far as I know.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone new to the Mugen MTX3 or have one but would like to get it dailed in just a bit more... Check out Xtreme RC Cars July 04. Robbie Collins has a very good article on pg 187-190 on the car... Very good tips from Team Mugen that I'm sure some of us didn't know about.... Any one using the 16/19 side pulley conversion, did you notice any change in top speed and acceleration??? I just made the switch and will test things out this weekend... I was told that the 16/19 conversion was when you wanted to drive Lola... Is this true??? I only drive Sedan and I would hate to be doing the wrong thing... Oh, one last bit of info, I did pull out my old N4TEC and tried the side belt to see if it would fit.... Prefect fit and the belt looks more durable then the Kawahara belt for a whole lot less money...

RC_Alan
Old 06-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rc_alan
Any one using the 16/19 side pulley conversion, did you notice any change in top speed and acceleration???
Using the 19/16 side pulley conversion pulleys while keeping a 4 mm split on the tires should not alter the top speed and acceleration. If you use 62 mm tires front and rear with stock pulleys, the top speed would be the same using 58 mm front and 62 mm rear tires and the 19/16 side pulley conversion. You can use the pulley conversion while using sedan body.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Tech Initiate

A question about the kawahara negative diff: Can I use the original rear shocktower and shocktower mounting? Anyone?
Old 06-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yes, pretty easy, I'd think. Maybe a long zip tie on the tank lid with a loop protruding through the rear window.
For the method, just grab the whole rear of the car while slipping your thumb through the loop, pulling the tank open as you pick it up.
Now all you have to remember is not to refuel over pit lane.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: 16/19 belts

Originally posted by OZDC
Gav,

I tried the WD40 thing and didnt really notice the difference.

My belts are quite old and loose and this helps a lot.

I have been using a silicon (dry) lube on my belts and pulleys recently and it seems to make a difference.

It also has the added benefit of not picking up as much sh1t on the pulleys, i'll continue doing it for that reason alone.

Also your brakes may take some 'wearing in' .

DC
Thanks Dave,
The WD40 really helped the new overdrive belts I got, but I didn't use it on the existing F/R belts. I wonder who the manufacturer is for the Kyosho SP belts.

I have some silicon lube in a spray can. Is that the right stuff?

Actually the brakes are excellent according to Sam. I noticed some older posts concerning binding brakes. Ours has the teflon pads and there seems to be less trouble noted with these.
Anyway, I found the middle part of the brake disk to be the culprit. This part is stamped out and had quite some burs on it. I ground it flat on a sheet of glass with emery paper and it's all good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.