Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Tweak station

Originally posted by Cartman
do you use them? which ones?
i like the simplicity of the MIP one.

Manticore can you let me know if i have enough credit?
no, you dont !

I will tell you if the sway bar back in stock again.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

hi all, can someone explain how to adjust the stiffness of the front sway bar ?
thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Tag
hi all, can someone explain how to adjust the stiffness of the front sway bar ?
thanks
try to understand the direction of the front a-arm movement.

when you have the flat side of the sway bar perpendicular to the direction of the a-arm movement, it is the softest setting.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by stefan
Why should a nitro car be different than an electric car.
Especially when you want to use your brakes with a one-way, you learn to value a tweak station.
Let's create a scenario: If one were to go to a track where EP and GP run together. Would one set up the EP exactly the same as the GP? Would the person drive EP exactly the same way he/she drives GP if based on the same setup?

There are many things we can neglect on GP that DO matter on EP. Please correct me if I overlook any important factors here. I mean, GP pretty much don't have the Anti-Squat or the Kick-up to play with already, but we do have the roll center to play with, at least. Tweaking can be compensated if one know how to apply the throttle and maneuver the steer accordingly.

Well, I'd better stop now, as I don't have much knowledge on this technical issue. I'm just "the fish". And, lately, I spend most of my time driving my MTX-3, not just sitting on the bench daydreaming of what/how to set it up right.

A good tip I learned from my friend is that once the tires start wearing down; everything i.e. the car setup, will change. Compromise is the key here.

back to siesta...
don't bother me. I'm sleeping...
Old 06-25-2003, 08:11 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've used GOOP hand cleaner on the foams a couple times. I've been running without it lately, but it did help when the track cooled down. Just rub it into the foam about 5 minutes before your up, and wipe off the foams before you get to the track.

Yes, setups do change through the run as the tires wear down, but generally my tire wear left to right is the same. My front to rear wear is not.

If the front of my car is tweaked because I was too lazy to toss it on the tweak station, then It will change how the car handles, and it will probably also change tire wear left to right.

I just don't like to leave things behind that I can use as an excuse later on. When wrenching on the car, I always thought it was a goal to make the car the best it can be. If I'm wrong, I'll step off my soapbox.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by eddiethefish
Tweak Station for Nitro? You must have been pulling my leg...
Regardless of the car being nitro or electric, you want it to go straight. You don't want the car to pull to one side when you pull or let go the throttle, correct?

The tweak station help you do this.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Sydewynder
[B] You don't want the car to pull to one side when you pull or let go the throttle, correct?
Nope.... you don't want to be sydewynding....
Old 06-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tweak station

Originally posted by Cartman
do you use them? which ones?
i like the simplicity of the MIP one.
On racing, I use one made by one friend of mine that consists 4 kitchen digital scales to adjust tweak, but under practice I have one MIP tweak station that use without a problem, kitchen scales are quicker and precise.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:23 PM
RCTech Member #2

Default Re: Re: Tweak station

Originally posted by Corse-R
On racing, I use one made by one friend of mine that consists 4 kitchen digital scales to adjust tweak, but under practice I have one MIP tweak station that use without a problem, kitchen scales are quicker and precise.
Scales are nice, I just can't justify the cost, personally.

I've borrowed scales a couple times for my electric car, and I found that with the mip tweakstation, I get it so close, that it's not even worth pulling scales out of the bag.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Roger
Jonathan: Good run at the McCoy's.
Thanks Roger.

I sent you a PM..
Old 06-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by eddiethefish
Let's create a scenario: If one were to go to a track where EP and GP run together. Would one set up the EP exactly the same as the GP? Would the person drive EP exactly the same way he/she drives GP if based on the same setup?

There are many things we can neglect on GP that DO matter on EP. Please correct me if I overlook any important factors here. I mean, GP pretty much don't have the Anti-Squat or the Kick-up to play with already, but we do have the roll center to play with, at least. Tweaking can be compensated if one know how to apply the throttle and maneuver the steer accordingly.
Many times is a matter of preferences and the possibility of adjustment. A friend that went from 1/8 gas cars to EP touring, bought an Xray Evo2, the first times at the track, he was overhelmed with all the adjustments of the car and he wasn't able to decide what needed to modify and needed constant help for the setup of the car (in fact, their setup sessions were done on the rostrum, he drived the car and I watched it, made some adjustments and got feedback about the adjustment), this for not saying about how it drived the EP around the track (try to drive a rubber EP touring like a 1/8 scale car ) laptimes were simply nasty.

Some months after he was much better tweaking their GP cars and he got a more delicate driving. He was much constant driving and got better lines at the track. Definitely, EP helped to improve their driving and setup skills.

About your last sentence, isn't all true. Setup of the car is very important, no matter how much dexterity you have controlling throttle and steering if you need to go battling with the car around the track, you will be slower.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

I CANT DO THIS

Last edited by kilokhan; 06-26-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Corse-R
About your last sentence, isn't all true. Setup of the car is very important, no matter how much dexterity you have controlling throttle and steering if you need to go battling with the car around the track, you will be slower.
i guess what he is trying to say is that he will not spend too much time tweaking his car until it is perfect (i think he rather spend more time sleeping in the fish tank). true, setup is important, but where would one draw the line between excessive and just the right amount? or what is necessary and what is not? One could spend endless hours measuring / truing tires down to 0.1mm accuracy and think that would give one advantage over the other guys that don’t. well, maybe, but does it worth the effort or time ? a good, perfect starting point doesn’t mean it will stay that way for 40 minutes or when you were hacked.

once oil from the exhaust (or from the track) gets on your car’s left rear tire; or when there are more dust on one side of the track than the other side, a tweaking station is not going to help your car go straight when you pull on the throttle. If only we live in a perfect and constant world, but what fun would that be ?

i guess just setup the car such that it is in the ball park area and let your reflex/experience do the rest. MHTC.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:56 AM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by Data
i guess what he is trying to say is that he will not spend too much time tweaking his car until it is perfect (i think he rather spend more time sleeping in the fish tank). true, setup is important, but where would one draw the line between excessive and just the right amount? or what is necessary and what is not? One could spend endless hours measuring / truing tires down to 0.1mm accuracy and think that would give one advantage over the other guys that don’t. well, maybe, but does it worth the effort or time ? a good, perfect starting point doesn’t mean it will stay that way for 40 minutes or when you were hacked.

once oil from the exhaust (or from the track) gets on your car’s left rear tire; or when there are more dust on one side of the track than the other side, a tweaking station is not going to help your car go straight when you pull on the throttle. If only we live in a perfect and constant world, but what fun would that be ?

i guess just setup the car such that it is in the ball park area and let your reflex/experience do the rest. MHTC.
True, but what if the car is tweaked, giving the oily left rear tire less traction as it is. If you take the disadvantage of being tweaked, then the disadvantage of boing oily / dusty, That kinda sucks!

I do agree, that you can't only bench race. You need track time, but you also need a good balance of both. Get the car right on the bench, before you take it to the track. Then, once your on the track, you can work on a setup, instead of fighting a tweaked car, not knowing what is really wrong with it.

Just my point of view..

-Troy
Old 06-26-2003, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

You can also set tweak into the chassis to compensate for a large number of say right hand sweepers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.