Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:24 PM
PMT
Tech Apprentice

Just curious but no other opinions on the Over Drive Ratio discussion that we have going above? People seem to be avoiding this one like the plague

This is good stuff to understand and can realy be the difference between a good car and a great one. Open technical discussion, no bashing, if you have questions ask (don't worry a lot of people don't understand it, but at least you will!), if you know it already share it with others. This is the stuff that, while it seems realy technical, all of us can learn something from.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:49 PM
TBR
Tech Regular

I get a headache just trying to read it.
No I will read this overdrive ratio thing through I think it is quite interesting.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:59 PM
PMT
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by TBR
I get a headache just trying to read it.
No I will read this overdrive ratio thing through I think it is quite interesting.
I hear you! However once drivers get this down, it's going to open up a new world of set up possabilities for them. The nice thing about overdrive is that most people already know about it just don't know that they do. Every drive a car for a while and it starts off bad then seems to hit a sweat point where it is perfect. It the tire wear / change in overdrive ratio that's doing it!
Old 06-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by PMT
Just curious but no other opinions on the Over Drive Ratio discussion that we have going above? People seem to be avoiding this one like the plague

This is good stuff to understand and can realy be the difference between a good car and a great one. Open technical discussion, no bashing, if you have questions ask (don't worry a lot of people don't understand it, but at least you will!), if you know it already share it with others. This is the stuff that, while it seems realy technical, all of us can learn something from.
Great info, and very well explained!
Old 06-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Any of you guys know if the HarmonyModel guys are in? I sent an email asking to get me a total so I can make payment. I haven't heard back from them since the first email with the initial parts I wanted to order.

Thanks,
Puma
Old 06-03-2003, 10:16 PM
TBR
Tech Regular

They mustn't like you puma
No I heard from them via email yesterday. They did say they were very busy.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by PMT

Who's actually correct here you or modellor?

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 07-05-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PMT
I've gone past this. There is no reason for me to debate as I understand and agree with all the points raised concerning overdrive ratio and tire rollout.

The only thing that I found new and that you confirmed is the information about using smaller front tires while still keeping the overdrive to 1. I know that you'll get more steering but I did not know that it'll make the car drive like a 1/8th scale

I'm actually dying to try this on my 705 with the respective front and rear split I need to use but everytime I tell myself to reserve a specific front tire diameter, I end up somehow using it down further past the required tire diameter. Same goes when I fix the front tire diameter and look for the matching rear tire... This has been a merry go round thing for me. Well, the perils of not having a tire truer... Yes, I'm also a little lazy when it comes to changing pulleys
Old 06-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

here's my new pics after months of bashing...
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-picture-017.jpg  
Old 06-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

another
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-picture-014.jpg  
Old 06-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

one more
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-picture-015.jpg  
Old 06-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

fifth post..
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-picture-016.jpg  

Last edited by RClover; 06-03-2003 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

adj sway bar..
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-picture-019.jpg  
Old 06-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

last one
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-picture-020.jpg  
Old 06-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
The only thing that I found new and that you confirmed is the information about using smaller front tires while still keeping the overdrive to 1. I know that you'll get more steering but I did not know that it'll make the car drive like a 1/8th scale
I've tried this type of setup before on my V1RR (overdrive pulley and smaller front wheels in conjunction with a solid rear axle) at Manticore's advice, and it rips. At first I tried dropping the smaller pulley on without changing front tire diameter and the car never felt balanced- it was extremely tail happy in the sweepers and chicane. Felt fine with the stock pulley, so I was scratching my head. Then I found out from these guys that I was supposed to be running about a 4mm split! Doh! No wonder it felt wrong. As soon as I cut those fronts down, it was on rails, and as PMT said, much more like an 1/8th scale. Very stable and I could get on the gas earlier in the turns. My MTX-3 feels real good, but different, and I'd like to see if I can tune it similarly in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.