Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jp 12 engine horror

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default jp 12 engine horror

i have a new jp fx 3 12 in my mugen mtx3, i didnt have a batt for the car so i started the break in procedure on idle for 4 tanks ,and the next time i was out running i could finish it off when i get a batt, so i put after run oil in it and left it, but when i did finally get another chance to run it i noticed the flywheel was stuck. so i heated it up to free it up a bit with a hair dryer. then when i moved the flywhel it felt grainy as if there was dirt in the engine, on opening it up i was shocked to see brown sludge all over the place, i used o'donnel 20% and proper afterrun oil, i was advised to soak the engine in petrol/gas so i did and it has'nt really helped, i think its gone rusty in there now , i dont know what to do ? this engine was brandnew ...

i have run in race engines before in exactly the same way and all was ok,

heres some pics , ps, i dont have receipt as i bought it privately , so i cant send it back to manufacturer,

any help would be greatly appreciated ,

Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default GONE

Are you surrrre this engine was brand new sealed. THat couldnt happen over night not even over a week. Mat i can c the bearing is rusted out to. I think someone has thrashed this engine with a really high% nitro without enough oil. Shes gone dry and rusted out and ure stuck with it. Thats why it probably felt "tight" coz it was rusted out. and you could probably run it coz ure fuel probably had good oil in it. sorry to say mate, find the guy u got it off and get a refund or u have a funky paper weight
Old 06-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

sorry to say this buddy,but as i see it,the engine is toasted.i think u need a new engine.sorry man
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, not much you can do, with that much rust in it. I'm sorry to say that, but working at a hobby shop for 5 years, I can tell you, that is toast. You might be able to get most of the rust out, but the problem is, the metal is pitted. Rust eats at the metal, and I can see rust on the wrist pin, bearings, piston. Do not move that piston up and down the sleeve in the condition its in.

I would take the engine apart. Pull the crank, and make sure the crank isn't rusty on the important parts, like where the rod sits, and at the bearing locations. Get something like PB Blaster (auto parts store) or WD40 (PB is much better if you can find it, mostly used in car dealerships for heavy rusted bolts)

Get that PB Blaster into those bearings, and get them turning, and keep those bearings soaked. That should help, if they aren't too far gone. Next is the piston. Using a soft cloth, wipe it down with the same PB or WD40. Make sure it is able to swing freely. Wipe the crank the same way.

It is okay to have some extra PB or WD40 in the engine.

I can't express this enough, those bearings need to turn supper free. If they don't, or have any doubt, they need to be replaced.

However, I would start looking for a backup engine.

When my engines are going to sit, I put after run oil down the carb, and down the glow plug, and I also put them in a zip lock bag.

Hope this helps a bit, and others might have better idea's than this. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

buy a mega zx12. they are just as fast as a jp but much cheaper!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Wow, feel sorry for you. Are you sure it's brand new? You said that you continue running when you have a chance, for how long? What about your fuel, is it too old? And also have you checked your fuel tank and fuel bottle for dirts?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

How long exactly did it sit without use?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

So scary maaan !!! Bought it from e-bay ??

I recently got JP mishap too due to sand / grain particles inside the piston sleeve. Nice Big Scratches !!!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by asw7576
So scary maaan !!! Bought it from e-bay ??

I recently got JP mishap too due to sand / grain particles inside the piston sleeve. Nice Big Scratches !!!
Feel sorry for you too man...
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have never seen this kind of in my entire life, even my original hobby was tether boats and engines was sinking under the water every time after the race.
Seems like engine is really brand new-crankcase looks really clean and no marks on it. The possible cause may be that during the stocking time some how moisture get in and damaged everything. As some one mentioned before-this ammount of oxcidation can't be happened overnight, unless acid was present (which I doubted).
I guess you need to get new engine, or replace damaged parts (basicaly everything)
Really sad, sorry man!!!
Edward
Old 06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

i had this happen to one of my fxt03. i bought mine brand new off ebay. i contacted JP through his web page. he did not ask where i got the engine. he did fix the engine, but he charged me for shipping. he charged me $120 dollars for shipping and handling!!! so he did not exactly fix for free.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Looks like bad fuel. I've seen this happened to nitro engines using OD. But, thats alot of rust. Maybe it was the mixture of the after run oil and the bad fuel. But, then again, this can't happen overnight. Maybe a week or so. Anyways, goodluck.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Even on the bad fuel, still, you are talking about 1 gallon of use and you will find some spot (not completely covered like this case) at the crankshaft or conrod area....and they can be remove easily........
In this case..........it is something something...........something fishy.

P.S.....JoeMugen, $120 shipping and handling...? Wow...JP can ship that engine from MARS to EARTH with that price tag thru USPS or UPS....LOL (hows the LOLA body work out..?)
Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Even on the bad fuel, still, you are talking about 1 gallon of use and you will find some spot (not completely covered like this case) at the crankshaft or conrod area....and they can be remove easily........
In this case..........it is something something...........something fishy.

P.S.....JoeMugen, $120 shipping and handling...? Wow...JP can ship that engine from MARS to EARTH with that price tag thru USPS or UPS....LOL (hows the LOLA body work out..?)
the lola body was great. i meant to let you know... only problem, it rained all weekend so no race. oh well... but i think it is getting resceduled.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

that's why we need to support our LHS so if anything goes wrong, you can ask your LHS to send it back to the manufacturer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.