Looking for my first on road GT8?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for my first on road GT8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Saying serpent is king is kinda hard because if you have a race where 12 out of 15 cars are serpent of course it should be on the podium and that's why I picked the team c car but some folks have had success converting a buggy to a gt car
Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbo713
Saying serpent is king is kinda hard because if you have a race where 12 out of 15 cars are serpent of course it should be on the podium and that's why I picked the team c car but some folks have had success converting a buggy to a gt car
Conversions are a great idea on paper but can be more expensive in the long run not to mention often times folks are converting their used up buggies which can require a significant refresh of parts to "freshen them up". I looked at converting a Serpent 811B to the GT car and it was about $$75-100 less then just getting the full GT kit. Some of the Losi conversions might be cost effective if you are starting out with a solid car vs a well used one.

For simplicity's sake just buy a kit version of the car & you will know where to get parts from vs a conversion that you then have to chase down several companies (hoping they are still in business) as you want different springs, sway bars, or replacement parts.

Its not fair to compare a 1/8 to a GT car, yes kit prices are not that different but overall cost of ownership of the 1/8 will be way more expensive (motor, tires, etc) then a GT car.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

How does it compare with 1/10 sedan ... This would be my first on road venture besides vrc on my computer
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

In my OPINION, 1/10th sedans are waaayyyyy too complicated, expensive and finicky for a newcomer to enjoy. Competitive engines are expensive and hard to tune when combined with the (normal for this class) centex (style) clutches.

I think you're headed in the right direction with the IGT type of cars for nitro. Conversions might be a bit more practical for electric since there isn't the need for a 2 speed and there are several cars that convert VERY easily - such as the Losi L8ight model (my choice). The Losi has most of the parts necessary for either nitro or electric - short towers, body mounting system & big bore shocks and can frequently be had for very reasonable prices. For Nitro, a 2 speed conversion needs to be made and that is where the hair pulling comes into play! For electric, just a commonly found electric conversion.

My initial choice was Kyosho and since I've had the cars for several years it does not make much sense for me to change - plus the car has a lot of documented set ups (as does Serpent and OFNA). In my case, I'm probably not going to RACE any faster with any brand so a change doesn't make sense.

You're in FL which has a lot of active IGT drivers and probably one of the top places to live if you RACE these cars (joined by Houston, TX, Utah, Chicago and the NYC area).

Probably the best choice for anyone can boil down to what brand is supported locally and does your local hobby shop carry any parts. But the point of agreement among all IGT racers is that these cars are FUN!