R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Are my Yokomo GT4's worth keeping? N.I.P! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/756959-my-yokomo-gt4s-worth-keeping-n-i-p.html)

gt72 09-07-2013 04:46 PM

Are my Yokomo GT4's worth keeping? N.I.P!

Hi, I have 3 yokomo gt4's,200mm, and a pro version, or "street" version brand new unopened parts, pro chassis, bearings, all alum hop ups, belt tensioner,ready to build, but thinking about selling, as Ill prob never race. My rtr blows most anything away now. It does have a 2 speed. Just a few penguin upgrades on that. frt, and rear shock tower braces, chassis brace. Im gonna put the newer 2 shoe clutch in the new one from the rtr II. The other one i have is a gtr4 r I think.The radio plate is slightly different.,no place 4 alkaline batts. Rx hole not cut out. Anyone who knows about these will know what i mean.Older style clutch in 4r . Anyway enough rambling, my question is , Are these good cars? Still competitive? Anyone still running these or knows about them, any tips would b greatly apprieciated! Thanks...Mike ps- by the time my rtr w/ rx .18 is outta site by the time it hits 2nd gear. At least 50mph. I caught a car on a major highway from a dead stop. The speed limit on that road is 55mph, Its quick, but for my baby, the street ver. Any engine advice. I have an accociated .12, and a nice slide carb. Or the original yoke rx .18 with single needle. thats what my rtr has also, except 1 is side ex. and the other front exaust. I have a ton of extra parts too.

vapourtrail 09-12-2013 08:17 PM

I was just talking to a buddy about these. The GT4 is a fantastic car and in capable hands a potent weapon. I still own 2 R versions that I'm reluctant to give up. At the time, HPI R40's, Kyosho V1R's, Mugen MTX2's, and the Yokomo GT4's were all evenly matched. I just couldn't beat a Serpent 710. So, I ended up buying a 710. Anyways, I noticed GT4 owners optioned out their cars to the point of ill handling. They needed alittle chassis flex to work well. My R is optioned with the full Penguin set-up but with no aluminum engine braces. No aluminum top deck supports too. Just the stock engine/deck braces and sometimes the engine braces were removed. It seemed to like the front one-way and just 1 thin upper clip forward on the upper front arm. Sometimes all clips on the back. Gear diffs front and rear with Yokomo hard grease in the front and medium in the rear worked pretty good on low grip tracks. Grey springs up front, yellow in the rear. Not too much toe and camber, 1-1.5 degrees out front toe, 1.5-2 degrees rear toe in, same negitive camber all round. 5 mm ride hight and 2mm droop f/r. Even tweek was critical as sometimes the car will corner with a shimmy. It wasn't bad but I thought it was annoying. I run the OS TR.12. Great engine and still running strong! I made sure of no leaks anywhere. If there were, there was engine issues along with it.
You have a great car(s) and a tough decision if you sell. It was Yokomo's last and best nitro touring car! :nod:

gt72 10-25-2013 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the great info. Well, i couldnt help myself, and got another 1 on ebay. too good to pass up! Thanks.....Mike