Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Set-Up Station: Aluminum or Acrylic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Set-Up Station: Aluminum or Acrylic?

I know that the aluminum will be more durable, but is it necessary? The acrylic version of Hudy will work just as well, correct?

Tweak boards seem to be making a come back. Wouldn't this cause another perfection head ache - especially to someone that is new to set-up?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The only cruddy thing about the acrylic one is that it is difficult to read in the sunlight.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Let me ask about the Hudy Tweak board. How is there an accurate reading if the tweak board and opposite end are not level? Whichever end is being measured for tweak, the follow end will be angled. I would think that the whole chassis would have to be level to get a proper measurement. Correct?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

Default Acrylic

Hye I Got a Hudy 1/10 acrylic set up system, It works great even in the sun light. Just gotta keep em clean

my $.02
Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the first thing you need to do is make sure your board is level, then use all the gauges, not just half. Another thing to consider, the acrylic will scratch. Mine is slowly getting scratched so be careful. It's just as accurate as aluminum, but the acrylic system does not come with a case. I try to keep them wrapped up, but over time they scratch. The acrylic is easierr to strip too. The screws are screwed in to the drilled out acrylic, so even though it hasn't happened yet, I worry about them getting stripped out. Also, acrylic is nice cause you can see through it and see what things might be affecting; not a big deal, I'm sure youy can get used to the aluminum being opaque.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

With the board, some brands have a built in bubble level, the Hudy one with the acrylic does not. I just use a bubble level I purchased seperate and level that way, but I need to use coins or shims to level it since there is no screw in legs to adjust th level on the board like some other boards. Once its level, you can adjust tweak with scales on that same board too.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a question... Does the new Aluminium version of the Hudy setup station fit onto the NTC3 with it's larger axle diameter? I have a feeling you would have to attack it with a drill to make it fit

BB
Old 07-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
I have a question... Does the new Aluminium version of the Hudy setup station fit onto the NTC3 with it's larger axle diameter? I have a feeling you would have to attack it with a drill to make it fit

BB
I have no problem fitting my FT NTC3 into the new aluminium version of the hudy setup station.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edseb
With the board, some brands have a built in bubble level, the Hudy one with the acrylic does not. I just use a bubble level I purchased seperate and level that way, but I need to use coins or shims to level it since there is no screw in legs to adjust th level on the board like some other boards. Once its level, you can adjust tweak with scales on that same board too.
Why would the board have to be level if the board is nice, new, and flat?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Well, when you are setting up a car, the ultimate goal is to control the amount of roll the car has on to each corner of the car. Hard springs will allow less roll, camber links quicker or slower transistion, etc. If it isn't level, then the car will be set up with "tweak" meaning, it won't be balanced. If you balance it when it is not level, then it will not be balanced when put on the track making the car different from front to rear or left to right. Having it not level, could affect ride height, camber, rake, bump steer, etc.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Set-Up Station: Aluminum or Acrylic?

Naah ... carboard by Dudy. Why? Look at 3hobby.net here :-

http://3hobby.net/modules.php?name=N...rticle&sid=463
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by performula
Why would the board have to be level if the board is nice, new, and flat?
Because the table or work station that you placed your setupboard might not be level or flat....thats why some high end setup board I have seen has 4 adjustable rideheigh legs at 4 corners and the leveler on the front and side edge for perfect flat setting....at least, almost flat...there is no such thing is perfectly flat in this world.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edseb
Well, when you are setting up a car, the ultimate goal is to control the amount of roll the car has on to each corner of the car. Hard springs will allow less roll, camber links quicker or slower transistion, etc. If it isn't level, then the car will be set up with "tweak" meaning, it won't be balanced. If you balance it when it is not level, then it will not be balanced when put on the track making the car different from front to rear or left to right. Having it not level, could affect ride height, camber, rake, bump steer, etc.
I dropped $270 on the "All in one" and had a fit with this post. How much are levels down at Home Depot? I guess I could level each side of the board to make sure it is level with the table/bench I am using.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, it can suck, but you do need to start with a good foundation. How ever you choose to get it level is good as long as it works. I got a bubble at a camera shop that usually attaches to a hot shoe mount. I'm sure there are others and probably cheaper.