R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 12 days in the hospital

Hey Guys........I wanted to just type a quick letter here to let everyone know exactlty how important this RC thing is for me. I think i finally realized that THIS HOBBY , weather it be driving online in this VRC game or in the real world , I see myself sticking with this hobby.

To make a long story short........I have been competeing in another sport for almost 28 years. The sport is Motocross , and I have done pretty well in the sport , with bouncing around in and out of the Pro ranks over the past 10-12 years. I got into the RC HOBBY to ease my way out of the racing MX thing , and to be honest , it's the first real sport / hobby I have found which quenches my thirst for compition like the way motocross does. I am an instructor of MX for kids , and adults alike , from the very beginner , beginner to the faster Junior and some intermediate riders. i will never quit teaching my classes for the kids , but my actuall competition of racing and still taking all the chances came to an end for me about 3 weeks ago.

I have been home for 2 days now from the hospital. I was injured at an indoor track with another rider who had snuck onto the track with nobody looking , and went BACKWARDS! We had a head on collision which sent us both to the hospital , with me getting the worst end of the deal. I was injured on JUNE 3rd , hospitalized for 12 days and then realeased on the evening of June 15th.

My injuries we're.............broken left hand and index finger knuckle , I also lost about 1" off the end of my middle finger (not sure how) , broke my left collarbone in two places , broke my front sternum from top to bottom , broke 5 ribs in the front and three in the rear next to the spine. I bruised my heart , both kidney's , my liver and even my eyeballs from the impact. The worst to happen to me was the left lung which was punctured by one of my ribs , which also tore a 1 -1/2" long hole in my lung.

I have about 4 -6 weeks of recovery here at home i have to do before i can go back to work on light duty , and even longer than that before i can teach the kids how to ride or even ride myself.

What I'm trying to say is that , i didn't realize how important this hobby (RC CARS) was to me until i was in the hospital. Out of all my injuries , the one that bugged me the most was losing 1" off the end of my middle finger. why??........Because if it would have been my index finger , i would of probably never been able to drive RC again..........no throttle finger. If I would not of ever been able to drive RC again...............I would have felt robbed. I have only been into this hobby for a couple years , and racing all my RC's is a blast!!

Anyways.........I'm not sure why I posted this letter here , except for to just inform people of what my experience has been over the past 2 - 1/2 weeks. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I will post this on a couple other RC sites that I'm a memeber of too as well. In the mean time......Keep driving and have fun , that's what i plan on doing as soon as i'm healed up!! DAMN........I miss driving all my RC cars!!!

Jeff Huber ( A.K.A JEFFRO503)
JEFFRO503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

sorry to hear of your accident. it is too bad how someone else can completely change your life around... just in the matter of minutes. but atleast you still have us here in the r/c world!!! you are very lucky that you will still be able to even ride your motorcycle. let us know how everything works out. good luck.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

What happened to the jack@$$ that crashed into you?

Man that must suck. I can't stand it when people go backwards on the RC track, and there's not even a chance of injury there. I can't belive someone could be so stupid to do that. Hope he can never ride again. Hope you get better to ride and race soon again.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

dam sorry 2 here that,hope u get better soon!! welcome 2 rc world!!!!
mahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Actually you would be pretty amazed at how your other hand probably would have been able to learn to drive.

I actually switch around a little myself at the moment and I drive really quirky. Basically like my arms are crossed and the transmitter sitting on its side. You would have to see it but you might have seen a few people do it this way. I doubt its good. But for some reason its easier that way...

But when you have the radio also setup the other direction you would probably pick it up rather quickly.

As for the rest, Im sorry to hear what happened. Yeah RC is another hobby for me too. Ive been into my one hobby for the past 12-13 years with really nothing else and its good to try new things.

Allthough ive been into this one for awhile too now. It just keeps growing on me.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Tech Champion

OMG !!! Sorry for that !!! Wish you all the luck and Get well soon !!!

next time let rc cars take all the beatings, ok?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Man it's good to get replies on threads like these. I sit at home all day now trying to recoop from my wreck , and it's really good to hear people comment back and forth. I am doing a little better everyday , and plan on trying to get completely healed up as soon as I can , but I am waiting for these damn bones to set and mend , and get my left lung working properly.

TO : gonzoY5...............His name is Cody and he is a good freind of mine , and yes your right , he was a complete jackass!! I have known him for a long time and he's always been kind of a meathead , but what he did the night of our wreck , i have NO IDEA what was going through his head. He just told me , that he got super ANCEY to ride , pulled onto the track , and proceeded to go the wrong way.........I STILL DON'T GET IT!! And neither does anyone else that was there that night. He ended up getting a ruptured spleen out of the wreck , but was released 5 days later , and is OK now. I definetly got the worst end of the deal for sure.

OH WELL..............I try and take everything bad that can happen to me and turn it around and try and make something positive. Your replies here on this thread alone make things even better for me , just knowing that people care enough to even respond is asking allot........and I appreciate more than you guys will ever know. There have been times in the past couple weeks that i get pretty "down" thinking about what happened........but then again , even though i can only use one good hand right now , with all this time off from work , i have a lot of time to catch up on some RC maintenence.

Thanks guys for the support!!

JEFFRO503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
........ the one that bugged me the most was losing 1" off the end of my middle finger. why??........Because if it would have been my index finger , i would of probably never been able to drive RC again..........no throttle finger. If I would not of ever been able to drive RC again...................... ( A.K.A JEFFRO503)

Well, there is always the possibility to use sticks.......
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #9
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hope you get better soon man. I've sold my bikes and been racing ever since. Ya I'd say your buddy must be a "meat head." Has he came to see you at all?
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote