R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Anyone run super G foam tires? i have a few questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/754-anyone-run-super-g-foam-tires-i-have-few-questions.html)

Ron 10-01-2001 05:18 PM

Anyone run super G foam tires? i have a few questions

It shows they only have 4 different sets, 2 different fronts and 2 different rears. im curious about the compounds. on the TowerHobbies site they list them as 45FT (front) and the color being Blue i remember blue being a hard compound but it wearing quick. then they show 35RT being purple i remember purple being hard but high wear. so im wondering if the 45 is harder than the 35? when i ran 12th scale purple was the best compound, it was the most expensive and last long and had the best traction.

is the # how they rate the firmness of the tire?

im running a mugen MTX-2 and right now im running purple front and magneta rear they are good but the yokomo wheels dont sem to fit real well. so i wanted to try the super G and see how well they work but im not sure how they are rating these tires.

if they are using the same chart as the 12th scale compounds then the purples are the best to get. but if the higher the # means the harder the compound then the 45FTs are what i need to get.

why cant they keep things a standard? screw numbers just use colors because colors go way back when foams first started.

rcTexas 10-02-2001 10:41 AM

To answer your question the #'s are the shore #'s/firmness of the tire. So if you want firm Super G's go with the 45s for front and 35s for rear.

tekrsq 10-03-2001 04:13 AM

There are 2 different compounds used for the Super Gs. The rear tires are made for better bite, and the front tires for less wear. I do not know the exact difference, it has something to do with the porousness (sp) of the rubber compounds. Mike rates his tires at Purple (rear 35-40 shore). Orange (rear 40-45 shore), Double Orange (front 40-45 shore), & Double Blue (front 45-50 shore). In addition to the different compounds, the front rims are made skinnier than the rear. The rubber width is the same, but the fronts are made so that you can easily shave 1-2mm off the inner edge of the rubber to clear front knuckles on cars like the MTX-2.

I run primarily Super G's on my MTX-2. I can run the purple, double orange mix for track temps up to abut 95 F. Anything over that, I use the orange, double blue mix.

Ron 10-03-2001 10:40 AM

Yea and thats the problem im having with these yokomos. the inside front is rubbing on the front knuckle

Leet TC3 10-03-2001 10:59 AM

Ron - that is a problem with the MTX and foams. You have to use 24mm foam tires, at least up front.

Jamracing 1 10-03-2001 11:09 AM

You can always space the wheel off the hub a little bit for clearance.:D

Leet TC3 10-03-2001 02:56 PM

Even with hub spacers, 28mm will not fit up front on the Mugens.

Ron 10-03-2001 07:53 PM

its obvious you dont know the yokomo wheels. they have about a 2mm hex on the wheel you put a spacer in there and the wheel will come loose. ive looked at that. my next step is the belt sander. :)

Leet TC3 10-03-2001 10:45 PM

Ron - you start sanding away your wheel, you run a big risk of weakening it to the point it could break during a crash. Believe me, I know. :D

Your only real solution is to use 24mm wheels/tires. I use Jaco.

Jamracing 1 10-08-2001 10:11 AM

I really don't think that you will Weaken the wheel just by sanding a little off the inner edge to allow clearance, I used to do that all the time with Pan Car foams.:)

Ron 10-08-2001 11:43 AM

well i did and nothing happened except the wheel didnt rub. the inside is just the edge mine actualy rubbed on my steering arm and wore a slot in it.

Snake_bit 10-08-2001 08:37 PM

Personally i wont Give $ 5.00 for 10 pair Of super Gs To many times I have Chunked Brand new tires with less the A qualifier.
I would reccomend the Ellegi/ or the Hottest tire i have ever used
(FOAM) Treadz www.treadztires.com

diesel31 10-09-2001 09:28 AM

leet tc-3 is right. you can't run yok foams w/ the mugen. need an expert opinion? ask steve fr. speedtechrc. so i guess RON, leet does know what he's talking about.

tekrsq 10-09-2001 01:29 PM

Originally posted by diesel31
leet tc-3 is right. you can't run yok foams w/ the mugen.
HUH??? I know you can't run the 32mm Yoks, but the 26mm fit fine. I've run 26mm Yok foams (without spacers) and haven't had a problem. It's one of the few sets that I don't have to modify.
Man, I wish I could fit the 32mm on the back though.

diesel31 10-09-2001 02:39 PM

my bad tek... it would seem i lacked specificity.