R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #226
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 557
Questions??

Any tips to build a no leak WRC Gear Diff? I've built numerous sealed Gear Diffs for Xray, Yokomo and even a couple of Awesomatix. I used Green Slime and Permatex Copper Gasket Seal like I have with electric cars but my first attempt at a WRC Diff wasn't as successful.

What are other WRC owners finding?
__________________
Number 49 Lou's Speedway Canada, Honda House www.hondahouse.com
ElliotCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #227
Tech Addict
 
gary47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 642
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotCanada View Post
Any tips to build a no leak WRC Gear Diff? I've built numerous sealed Gear Diffs for Xray, Yokomo and even a couple of Awesomatix. I used Green Slime and Permatex Copper Gasket Seal like I have with electric cars but my first attempt at a WRC Diff wasn't as successful.

What are other WRC owners finding?
When built mine the rubber o ring broke, so I used permatex ultra grey ridged high torque rtv silicone gasket maker no leak yet and been in since built in november
__________________
Gary Andersen/ GFA RACING/WRC/NOVA ROSSI
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #228
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotCanada View Post
Any tips to build a no leak WRC Gear Diff? I've built numerous sealed Gear Diffs for Xray, Yokomo and even a couple of Awesomatix. I used Green Slime and Permatex Copper Gasket Seal like I have with electric cars but my first attempt at a WRC Diff wasn't as successful.

What are other WRC owners finding?
John - also had an issue with the o-ring squeezing out , increasing the chamfer inside edge of the pulley seemed to cure the problem.
__________________
Empire Racing - RC Target - Capricorn - K.O. Propo Electronics - VP Racing Fuel
Time for us all to grow up and sign our real names on posts.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #229
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
John - also had an issue with the o-ring squeezing out , increasing the chamfer inside edge of the pulley seemed to cure the problem.
U bought one also??... Looks like it's me vs
team WRC
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #230
Tech Addict
 
MrHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 587
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the tips guys! I have built a few and noticed a little squeeze out and other times they've gone together well. I may try Rick's method. Did you sand paper the plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary47 View Post
When built mine the rubber o ring broke, so I used permatex ultra grey ridged high torque rtv silicone gasket maker no leak yet and been in since built in november
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
John - also had an issue with the o-ring squeezing out , increasing the chamfer inside edge of the pulley seemed to cure the problem.
__________________
Irwin RC 1/8th Pan Car Specialists - www.irwinrc.com
SPM Competition, WRC Racing, MIP, Novarossi
MrHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #231
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHistory View Post
Thanks for the tips guys! I have built a few and noticed a little squeeze out and other times they've gone together well. I may try Rick's method. Did you sand paper the plastic?
Jason - Nope used a swivel deburring tool on the inside corner of the pulley - there is already a chamfer there I just made it a little larger - need to be a a little careful , if you get carried away pretty sure you will have no chance of sealing.
__________________
Empire Racing - RC Target - Capricorn - K.O. Propo Electronics - VP Racing Fuel
Time for us all to grow up and sign our real names on posts.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #232
Tech Fanatic
 
mcsquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Live at work, play in Toledo, OH
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
U bought one also??... Looks like it's me vs
team WRC
If you want, I have a engine for sale that should help you go faster.....
__________________
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #233
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
If you want, I have a engine for sale that should help you go faster.....
Already bought brand new.. Thanks.. Scott..
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #234
Tech Addict
 
gary47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 642
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default diff problems

Hi Jason , ran car in Toledo this week end ran good just feeling car out but in last qualifier had car hooking on me, after some time looking at car found the out axle gears stripped teeth off both sides about 3 on each side. Has any one else had this problem?. Other than that car worked good for first time out for year.
__________________
Gary Andersen/ GFA RACING/WRC/NOVA ROSSI
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #235
Tech Addict
 
gary47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 642
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary47 View Post
Hi Jason , ran car in Toledo this week end ran good just feeling car out but in last qualifier had car hooking on me, after some time looking at car found the out axle gears stripped teeth off both sides about 3 on each side. Has any one else had this problem?. Other than that car worked good for first time out for year.
Is Jason still around? asked question for about week no answer at all sites he was on?
__________________
Gary Andersen/ GFA RACING/WRC/NOVA ROSSI
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #236
Tech Addict
 
MrHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 587
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary47 View Post
Is Jason still around? asked question for about week no answer at all sites he was on?
Sorry I didn't see your post. I have not seen this happen before. Lon mentioned you had this problem and I told him that you are welcome to call or pm me and we can try to figure out what is the issue. So feel free to pm your email address and we can get you up and running, although I was under the impression that Lon had gears he offered to give you.

Either way, feel free to reach out. I'm happy to help. Also, you can email me through www.irwinrc.com

This is the best way because I see my emails right away.
__________________
Irwin RC 1/8th Pan Car Specialists - www.irwinrc.com
SPM Competition, WRC Racing, MIP, Novarossi
MrHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #237
Tech Addict
 
MrHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 587
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

As for as building a no leak diff, I would recommend Rick Davis's trick. He is a wealth of knowledge and trust that his solution works. Personally I have not had issues with the diff. I ran the same one all last season and it's still in my car and working fine.
__________________
Irwin RC 1/8th Pan Car Specialists - www.irwinrc.com
SPM Competition, WRC Racing, MIP, Novarossi

Last edited by MrHistory; 05-25-2014 at 11:21 PM.
MrHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #238
Tech Addict
 
MrHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 587
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary47 View Post
When built mine the rubber o ring broke, so I used permatex ultra grey ridged high torque rtv silicone gasket maker no leak yet and been in since built in november
Gary, it would be great if you can share a link for the oring gasket you found for the diff. Thanks!
__________________
Irwin RC 1/8th Pan Car Specialists - www.irwinrc.com
SPM Competition, WRC Racing, MIP, Novarossi
MrHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #239
Tech Addict
 
gary47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 642
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHistory View Post
Gary, it would be great if you can share a link for the oring gasket you found for the diff. Thanks!
I picked mine up at HOME DEPOT IN GLUE SECTION BUT ANY AUTO STORE SHOULD HAVE IT. Did you get my email about diff gears?
__________________
Gary Andersen/ GFA RACING/WRC/NOVA ROSSI
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #240
Tech Addict
 
gary47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 642
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHistory View Post
Sorry I didn't see your post. I have not seen this happen before. Lon mentioned you had this problem and I told him that you are welcome to call or pm me and we can try to figure out what is the issue. So feel free to pm your email address and we can get you up and running, although I was under the impression that Lon had gears he offered to give you.

Either way, feel free to reach out. I'm happy to help. Also, you can email me through www.irwinrc.com

This is the best way because I see my emails right away.
JASON when email me have some pictures send you about stripped parts.
__________________
Gary Andersen/ GFA RACING/WRC/NOVA ROSSI
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net