Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Degree design project ideas! what are some "annoyances/problems" people have in R/C?? >

Degree design project ideas! what are some "annoyances/problems" people have in R/C??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Degree design project ideas! what are some "annoyances/problems" people have in R/C??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Degree design project ideas! what are some "annoyances/problems" people have in R/C??

Hi everyone,
I am currently doing a mechanical engineering degree, and we have a project just started where we have to take a "problem" and design/redesign an existing product to solve it!

I am highly interested in r/c, racing many classes of off road, and was wondering if any of the community out there have any ideas!!

Niggly things that frustrate you while working on cars, annoying things thst constantly happen, what's out there!!

Cheers,
Luke
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

In my point of view the main thing that needs to evolve is the shock system. Oilshocks are basically the same since the begining and no revolutionary thing has made them better. If you can do something to imrove them it would be awsome. And from an engineering standpoint that is the area most neglegted as far as improvements go.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Electronic fuel injection on hobby size nitro engines. This would be a massive step forward for the nitro scene
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Smile Kyosho Fix!!!!

Originally Posted by kartyboy94
Hi everyone,
I am currently doing a mechanical engineering degree, and we have a project just started where we have to take a "problem" and design/redesign an existing product to solve it!

I am highly interested in r/c, racing many classes of off road, and was wondering if any of the community out there have any ideas!!

Niggly things that frustrate you while working on cars, annoying things thst constantly happen, what's out there!!

Cheers,
Luke
I would say that your most direct path to fame/fortune/and legendary status would be to fix the 'EXCESSIVE STEERING CASTER ANGLE' in the Kyosho GT/GT2 nitro 'on road' cars. Several attempts have been made by different people and none of the attempts have resulted in 'the hardware' for the masses.

The Kyosho GT car was the pioneer in the class and due to the 'factory' taking the stance that 'it's an entry level car' and no additional R&D is making it to the tracks for our benefit we really need you to consider this project. The 'effective caster angle' has been deemed to be 17 degrees and through some 'experimentation' by individuals using '0' to '6' or '8'ish great turning ability could be accomplished. Some 'prototypes' exist in the 6 degree range that performed remarkably well in race testing but were not made available.

The Kyosho GT/GT2 is not showing up on the 'podium' much any more. It is being upstaged by the 'TeamC' (flat chassis car) and the Serpent Cobra GT car that has the 'buggy-based' 'kickup' chassis but has many engineering refinements in this caster area. To see the extremely tight turning radius of the TeamC and the Cobra would tell you quickly why the Kyosho GT/GT2 needs help. The Ofna (flat chassis car) turns well also.

I'm picturing a project that could produce a needed product that would sell well enough to pay for a few educations!!!!! Just make sure to get your Law Students on board to keep you safe.

Feel free to 'PM' me on this site for any additional info that would help you.

This actually meets your 'annoying/problem' criteria........Kyosho needs a 'redesign' on the 'steering caster angle' produced in the front suspension.

There are untold millions of these cars that are not able to perform at their full potential because of this issue.....'Legendary Status' in the RC World awaits you and your team........
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the suggestions!Have taken them all down, and will do some thinking,An idea I came up with myself is a reverse polarity module to stop reverse-voltage destroying speed controllerswhen you plug those lipos in while rushing to catch a rsce start!!Keep the ideas comingLuke
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
Electronic fuel injection on hobby size nitro engines. This would be a massive step forward for the nitro scene
This right here.

A proper electronic fuel injection system would revolutionize the RTR market, making nitro just as easy (and perhaps even easier) than electric.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
This right here.

A proper electronic fuel injection system would revolutionize the RTR market, making nitro just as easy (and perhaps even easier) than electric.
I think this could be done rather easily. A TBI could be adapted to our cars much like the aftermarket companies sell to rodders in 1:1. You could operate a sensor off the end of the crankshaft for throttle position.
If you use a Nova Based engine for test mule, lmk. I'd be willing to try it out in race conditions! Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
I think this could be done rather easily. A TBI could be adapted to our cars much like the aftermarket companies sell to rodders in 1:1. You could operate a sensor off the end of the crankshaft for throttle position.
If you use a Nova Based engine for test mule, lmk. I'd be willing to try it out in race conditions! Good Luck!
maybe a mechanical one but things to consider with efi end user software will be critical and small enough electronics ect.
efi demands consistent fuel pressure and if self tuning gonna need engine temp rpm and throttle position sensors a the min.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
OS did make a fuel injected 4 stroke airplane engine:

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/...0sfi/index.htm

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

My favorite has to be the Shocks, just because testing would be a blast, everything has shocks. You could bash or race with tons of different vehicles. From an engineering standpoint this could be extremely complicated though.

The reverse polarity is a good idea but would probably end up being too simple but the pro to this is it covers more than one specific class or chassis.

Anything to simplify nitro for the RTR crowd would be a good challenge and have good potential.

The Kyosho caster angle is too specific and there are people already working on it. Its Class Specific and car specific so your audience is way too narrow in my opinion.

The fuel injection seems pretty cool again would be really fun to test and takes a few birds out with one stone.

For me I think the biggest issue or problem I have is with the spilling of fluids such as glues or oils. A redesigned container or something of that nature may be interesting but then again I could solve my problem by not sitting my bottles on their side

Best of luck, I am interested to see where this goes and which you decide to pursue.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Im an engineer and I said shocks earlier because those little things a a pain for a few people. If you look at it, what is the latest advance in shocks? tapered pistons? I know that it's not going to be easy to do but it will be a challenge. I have been in the RC hobby/sport for 23 years and chassis, materials and drive-train efficiency have improved but shocks have remained virtually the same. The have been a few companies that come out with innovative solutions but are not the final answer.

Fuel injection is nice but it will be extremely expensive. The Caster angle for the K car there are a few that have done custom parts.

What year project is this for? 1st, or cap stone project?

Also do you have a budget and what is expected from you? Do the professor want an actual working model or just a simulation? What is the time frame for the project? These questions will help you out in deciding what to do.

Since you are mechanical engineering then I would say stay away from EFI unless you have a computer engineer in your group or you know how to program microprocessors (using Wookie for example).

The new bottle idea is awsome, it won't be easy to do a sample bottle but that project is very easy to explain with drawings. plus its a static project so many of the problems associated with the motion of the part are gone.

Anyway good luck on the project.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Initiate

One thing that bothers me alot is once a car wins a championship all the new cars our the next year look exactly the same. Take 1/8 GT or 1/8 onroad
The mfgs just call over to china and say make this look just like a Serpent, or make this look like a Kyoosho

Also I hate buying hop up parts, a 500.00 + kit car should be engineered to perfom and not need $700 worth of upgrades
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

- A car with a 1-screw-fits-all , I hate 10 different screws.
- A fast mount system for engines, like a rail with a fast click system
- universal standard for exhausts and manifolds so you can combine different brands pipes and manifolds while the stinger is always at the same position.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

- When training (competing), a fuel filling station that you drive into. Many drivers avoid the nitro classes for the need of a mechanic.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugenbo
- When training (competing), a fuel filling station that you drive into. Many drivers avoid the nitro classes for the need of a mechanic.
+1