Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start >

New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start

New Nitro HPI RTR3 Just will not start

Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spenzalii
That does sound extremely odd. If the car has air, fuel and fire, it should start, at least a little. To not turn over at all is very strange. Now it's looking at outrageous stuff. I'd take the engine apart (no harm there, since it's not atarting anyway) and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. Maybe even flush outthe carb, too. On an outside change, I'd also make sure the engine is not turning over backwards. While with the rotostart being on from the factory this should be impossible, at this point it's time to start looking at impossible things.

I would also see if anyone in the area has a starter box they can put the car on. It will spin the flywheel directly and give a lot more oomph to turning the engine over. I definately wouldn't chuck the car, at least not yet. Worst case senario is get anther engine, which you would probably do sooner rather than later anyway.
You think just like me and thats the proper way to think about engines. You only need those 3 things and if they are all available it should start.

That and compression and your set. If not it does point to something mechanical or like we said above. One of those 3 things are missing....but fuel is fuel. Ive had 2 year old fuel fire up even...it ran hotter than a bat out of a hot place. But still ran.

Normally its electrical if it wont fire...which is normally the glow-starter.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pretty much. Unless the carb is totally shot, it should fire up. It may not stay on for more than a second if the needles are off, but it should fire. I'd have a good hard look at that carb and then see if the engine isn't spinning backwards. Like I said, it should be impossible with a factory installed rotostart, but we should be seeing some small spark of life at the same time.

I really am surprised the LHS wasn't able to do much or wasn't more helpful. That's usually the fastest way to turn people off of the hobby.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spenzalii
Pretty much. Unless the carb is totally shot, it should fire up. It may not stay on for more than a second if the needles are off, but it should fire. I'd have a good hard look at that carb and then see if the engine isn't spinning backwards. Like I said, it should be impossible with a factory installed rotostart, but we should be seeing some small spark of life at the same time.

I really am surprised the LHS wasn't able to do much or wasn't more helpful. That's usually the fastest way to turn people off of the hobby.
Yeah or the fastest way to keep you from coming back. I would have fixed his car and then he would have gone out and run it , broken something and came back and bought stuff to fix it. LOL.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Initiate

The reason i haven't contacted HPI is because it costs a lot to call them, plus to send it back. The engine wan't going backwards as if you tried to turn the engine backwards, it just wouldnt go. Compression sounded like it was there. When we spun the flywheel, you could hear the suction. We tried needles in every position but not even a glimmer of a start. The fuel was brand new tornado 20% stuff, nothin there either. BRand new glow plug, starter and batteries, still nothing. Anyway, the car has now been returned to the seller, and hopefully he should call me soon to tell me the outcome.

Thanks everyone, and ill let you know what was wrong.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Hmmm cant you send them an email? Also sending to HPI? Your already sending it to someone else.

So is the seller going to try to start it? Yes let us know what happens. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah he said he will try. He reckons he will do it in 10 minutes. Fair play if he does, we tried everything. If not, he said he will send replacement.