Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice with classifying Tuned Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Regional Moderator

Need advice with classifying Tuned Pipe

I found this Eagle Model Tuned Pipe on Integy's online shop that they have for sale. Below is a picture of it with Integy's description of this tuned pipe:

Integy's description:
Part #1760
1/10 Power Pipe Set for Rear Exhaust 6.5mm High Revolution Type

By the look and overall shape of this pipe, I suppose it is designed for top-end performance? I am looking for a tuned pipe designed for top-end and high RPM performance since I race on a large open track with huge sraightaways. Is this shape of this tuned pipe designed for top-end performance?

Also, what is that "recessed ring" on the outside at the middle of the tuned pipe? As you can see from the picture above it is just past the fuel pressure nipple. I believe that "recessed ring" goes around the entire diameter of the tuned pipe as well. What is that recessed ring for and how does it affect performance? Is it meant to increase top-end performance or increase bottom-end performance? Is that recessed ring a sign of a "high-quality" more expensive tuned pipe or of a cheaper "low-quality" tuned pipe? Most of the tuned pipes I have been looking at don't have that recessed ring at the middle of the tuned pipe. This #7731 RPM tuned pipe from Team Associated does not have that at all:

What tuned pipe (the Eagle Model or Team Associated) has the best shape and size for top-end performance? Which is a higher quality tuned pipe? I will be using one of these tuned pipes for my Trinity/Rossi Pixie Black .12 engine and it will be used in a nitro touring car.

Thanks for considering to answer all these questions. This is such as exhausting subject.....lol!

Last edited by racer rich; 08-22-2002 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

forget about all those other pipes and get a RB X12 pipe and header that is the best all around pipe you can get
Old 08-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

The advice I have been given is to use the Rossi pipe on the Rossi engines. Also I hear that the Associated NTC3 rear exhaust pipe works nice.

The above pipe is really good for torque, I used to use this exact same pipe.

I love the Novarossi inline pipe 52605 since it is VERY durable and can take a hit and not sideline you. Very linear pipe.

RB X12 pipe is HORRIBLE as it is soft as butter. It WILL bend badly on the first hit. Performance wise it is excellent.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by AMGRacer
The advice I have been given is to use the Rossi pipe on the Rossi engines. Also I hear that the Associated NTC3 rear exhaust pipe works nice.

The above pipe is really good for torque, I used to use this exact same pipe.
AMGRacer- Actually the above pipe (which I believe you are talking about the Associated) is meant for top-end and high RPM power. I called up Associated Tech Support and they told me this.

Does anyone know an international online mail order shops that carry Rossi pipes? Trinity said they will be distributing them soon, but I would like to get one now.

Back to my original question, does anyone know what that "recessed ring" thats around the diameter in the middle of the Eagle Model tuned pipe (first tuned pipe pictured above) is for? What effect does it have on performance?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Last edited by racer rich; 08-22-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

RB makes the X 12 pipe in a black one that is much stronger than the polished one and a little cheaper too
Old 08-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Regional Moderator

The RB X12 tuned pipe I believe is designed for torque and not top-end power. I am looking for a top-end tuned pipe for the large track I race on. Everyone recommends the Rossi 01201 tuned pipe set for the Pixi-Black engine. Just one problem though, it is not distributed to the U.S. yet. Does anyone know of any international online mail order shops in which I can buy the Rossi 01201 tuned pipe set from?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 08-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

The X 12 pipe is designed for both bottom end tourqe and top end speed we have been running it on my sons Impulse for over a year and it works great plenty of low end on small tracks but not too much and all kinds of top end on the larger fast sweeping tracks in fact with a stock RB X12 3 port it will hang with the bigger serpent impact on medium length(120ft to 150ft)straight aways

www.kustomrc.com
Old 08-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by racer rich

AMGRacer- Actually the above pipe (which I believe you are talking about the Associated) is meant for top-end and high RPM power. I called up Associated Tech Support and they told me this.

Rich
Sorry I should have specified. I was talking about the Integy pipe. We call them "Eagle racing" over here, same pipe. It increases the torque band down low, top end is a little lighter than the X12 pipe and the Novarossi pipes. Racer Rich I would ignore the "customer support" lines and talk to people who have owned the pipes a bit more.

The RB X12 pipe is excellent for power and is nice and quiet!! I did not know the black one is thicker, thats gotta be a good thing.

Note that pipes designed for "torque" are actually a good thing these days since most engines are top end biassed. And it is not like you can have a pipe which is torque biassed and you lose all top end. They just bias the powerband into a certain rev range.

The shape of the pipe can determine where the occurs by looking at it, the length, angle of divergence cone angle of convergence cone. But there are many other factors, the pipe internal volume, length of manifold, diameter of manifold, and any baffeling inside the pipe. The X12 pipe actually has a large cone inside of it which makes it into a 2 chamber pipe with a length much shorter than it looks.

Last edited by AMGRacer; 08-22-2002 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:43 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

when you say big and open do you mean like the cinncinati track.. if so the yoke pipe works great in conjuction with a nice reving rtu....... and i have not seen many larger tracks out... and if you are running a even like the worlds you must have a two chamber pipe.. ie, the x12, yoke, and i think the nova is .. otherwise try rcinternational, it will be spendy but they can walk down to serpent and get the same pipe in the mega variety as the 1204... same number just a mega instead of a nova....

jack see you in three weeks... look for me ... andrew
Old 08-22-2002, 08:18 PM
Regional Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AMGRacer

Sorry I should have specified. I was talking about the Integy pipe. We call them "Eagle racing" over here, same pipe. It increases the torque band down low, top end is a little lighter than the X12 pipe and the Novarossi pipes. Racer Rich I would ignore the "customer support" lines and talk to people who have owned the pipes a bit more.

On Integy's website, they actually sell two Eagle Model (or Eagle Racing) tuned pipes. A 5mm tuned pipe and a 6.5mm tuned pipe. The one I pictured is the 6.5mm tuned pipe. Integy claims it is their "High Revolution" tune pipe, in which I think means its designed for top-end power. The only difference I can see between the 5mm and 6.5mm tuned pipe is the 6.5mm tuned pipe has a more gentler-tapered (longer) convergent cone.

What do you think of Eagle Racing's products? Are they of high-quality, or of low-quality? Do alot of expert drivers use their products with success?

Do you guys know what effect that "chambers" have on a tuned pipe? What is the purpose of them and how do they effect both bottom and top-end performance? Does more "chambers" mean more top or bottom end power? I have seen singled chambered, dual chambered, and 3 chambered pipes before and do not know what is the difference in performance between all of them.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Last edited by racer rich; 08-22-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by racer rich
On Inetgy's website, they actually sell two Eagle Model (or Eagle Racing) tuned pipes. A 5mm tuned pipe and a 6.5mm tuned pipe. The one I pictured is the 6.5mm tuned pipe. Integy claims it is their "High Revolution" tune pipe, in which I think means its designed for top-end power. The only difference I can see between the 5mm and 6.5mm tuned pipe is the 6.5mm tuned pipe has a more gentler-tapered (longer) convergent cone.

What do you think of Eagle Racing's products? Are they of high-quality, or of low-quality? Do alot of expert drivers use their products with success?

Do you guys know what effect that "chambers" have on a tuned pipe? What is the purpose of them and how do they effect both bottom and top-end performance? Does more "chambers" mean more top or bottom end power? I have seen singled chambered, dual chambered, and 3 chambered pipes before and do not know what is the difference in performance between all of them.

Thanks in advance!

Rich [/B]
The pipe I have is the 6.5mm version, and I am telling you it might be their high revolution pipe but it is not the best top end pipe out there. However it is VERY thick and durable. I have beaten this thing down big time and it still is kicking. It works well with my RS12 engine. ONE big complaint is that the angle of the taper and the slick surface makes it not grip the pipe coupler as well as many other pipes. Ie. it slips off the coupler quite easily. No idea about expert drivers.

Also I have no idea about the chambers.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

You need to check with the track you run on to see what rules they follow. 6.5mm stinger I.D. size I believe is not ROAR legal.

The ring you refer to might be the wall that they use to make it a 2 chamber pipe. I've seen other pipes like that with a ring and that's where the wall is welded. Not 100% since I've never seen that particular pipe.

2 and 3 chamber pipes are to reduce the noise level that some places (i.e. Europe) restricts. They actually reduce top end performance since they restrict free flow but you need to follow the rules if you want to play.

For a good design of chambered pipes, look at the inside of the RB, Novarossi. The chambers are actually shaped like the outside of the pipe. This is to get as close as possible the shape and angles of the outside. (See AMGRacer's comment on the shape of pipes)
Old 08-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Just took a peak down the gullet of my pipe. It is a single chamber. I have no idea what the ridge does, mayby just makes it look pretty.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Does it look like a weld seam? Doing a 2 piece and welding is probably easier and cheaper than trying to extrude the aluminium into one piece.

Maybe they are trying to get it like Paris Racing's ribbed wonder, but I doubt 1 small ring would do anything.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

the ridge is where the two pieces of the pipe have been welded together it has no effect on how the pipe works

www.kustomrc.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.