Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CARBON FIBER PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default CARBON FIBER PARTS

I'm new here on this forum and I signed up here to get some advice. I'm about to start to make Carbon Fiber parts for ALL nitro rc models. The only thing is I don't know which ones. If yall guys could help me by telling me the make and model of certain popular RC's that would be great! I'm going to start by just making chassis and once buisness gets good ill move on to the small things like A-Arms, shock towers and any other thing that will help reduce weight while still having steangth. In the next month or so ill be setting up a web site at which you can purchase these from. If you don't see what you want just send me a email and ill make it! Thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As a business, it's pretty much up to you to monitor the current market for what models are popular. Not only that, but also how many people will actually want to trade their aluminum chassis' out for carbon fiber. Aluminum is a much better heat conductor and it helps keep motor temps down. Towers, upper decks and braces will sell better. Keep in mind that free advertising on this website is not allowed. If you plan on directing members here to your website, you need to contact the rctech staff first for advertising purposes.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Initiate

True but then again I figured it would be best to ask and see what the people would favor most. Now on the advertising I didn't even think about that so I guess ill have to figure out a different way to get the word out about the web site when its up and running. Aluminum chassis are a good heat conductor but then again carbon fiber is significantly lighter. That would be a trade off for who ever wants a carbon fiber chassis.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM
C@T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by carbonrc
True but then again I figured it would be best to ask and see what the people would favor most. Now on the advertising I didn't even think about that so I guess ill have to figure out a different way to get the word out about the web site when its up and running. Aluminum chassis are a good heat conductor but then again carbon fiber is significantly lighter. That would be a trade off for who ever wants a carbon fiber chassis.
What is the background and experience your plans are based on if you need to ask what to make ?

To my best guess potential customers will look for racing proven parts, not just for " me too " copies.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by C@T
What is the background and experience your plans are based on if you need to ask what to make ?

To my best guess potential customers will look for racing proven parts, not just for " me too " copies.
The reason why I im asking is because I've been in this hobby for 3 years but I've only stuck with Traxxas. I never experiment with any other brand so I don't know what's popular and what's not other than what Traxxas has.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

As stated previously, race proven is your best bet. Go to you local track, and get an idea of what racers are looking for. Then make custom parts for them, best off if you offer it to them for free, where it is a win win. If you ask that they pay for the parts and they then break, fail or do not work as designed, you will look worse than if you were to offer to make custom pieces that they try and give you feedback on. Then from there you can start slow and steady. Also if you were to make parts, you need whatever you are upgrading or offering in raw form or as a drawing. Do you know what type of carbon you are going to use, as there are various grades. Different types of cars have different stress factors in different areas, and most of the time items such as A-arms are made to give / break in the event of a crash, so that you do not destroy a more costly item. Just look up the cost of an Serpent 811 TE chassis vs.the A-arms, I would much rather replace the cheaper rather than more costly component.

Matrix offered carbon chassis for the losi eight http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nce-parts.html and they are not around anymore.

Vantage too offered carbon chassis for Traxxas cars, and that fizzled out.

In going with a carbon chassis, it seems cool but in reality not practical for nitro applications. A previous poster stated the benefits of being able to draw heat out of your engine via an alloy chassis, and that helps keep that same costly engine running.

So in the end, get a feel of is needed vs. what is cool, because that way you will not have wasted time making something few will buy. Plus this will keep you busy.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 07-01-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If carbon chassis for nitro cars would work all the top level drivers would be using them.
What most people don't realize is that the top companies test many different components and solutions that never make it to the public because they basically don't work, we will never know about the ones that don't work.

So, if you want to make RC parts and you think you have a great idea ask yourself if the pros would use it first, and be honest.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Enjoyed reading this posts.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Tech Lord

What would me make to buy a copy of a shocktower or any other copied part?

OK, if the price (and quality) is right. I do not think there is a huge market in the one that allready comes standard with carbon parts. Yes, the fundrivers using HPI, Traxxas etc. do love tuning and has a wide maket for aluminium and carbon parts.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

From a business standpoint and from use fullness standpoint also .......
Nitro's don't require a carbon chassis for reasons already pointed out. But also because what weight we do have needs to be low ..... and the chassis is as low as you can go.
In nitro .... your better off going for producing top-decks and shock towers. Maybe body supports...
If you want to go with chassis ..... you should look towards electric cars ..... but as these are already carbon you would need to show yours are better then stock in some way.
The other area is off-road. Again I would look at electric not nitro.
You need to offer something different or something better then what's already offered. Better means you need experience or knowledge of auto engineering and race concepts.

Good luck

BM
Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
As stated previously, race proven is your best bet. Go to you local track, and get an idea of what racers are looking for. Then make custom parts for them, best off if you offer it to them for free, where it is a win win. If you ask that they pay for the parts and they then break, fail or do not work as designed, you will look worse than if you were to offer to make custom pieces that they try and give you feedback on. Then from there you can start slow and steady. Also if you were to make parts, you need whatever you are upgrading or offering in raw form or as a drawing. Do you know what type of carbon you are going to use, as there are various grades. Different types of cars have different stress factors in different areas, and most of the time items such as A-arms are made to give / break in the event of a crash, so that you do not destroy a more costly item. Just look up the cost of an Serpent 811 TE chassis vs.the A-arms, I would much rather replace the cheaper rather than more costly component.

Matrix offered carbon chassis for the losi eight http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nce-parts.html and they are not around anymore.

Vantage too offered carbon chassis for Traxxas cars, and that fizzled out.

In going with a carbon chassis, it seems cool but in reality not practical for nitro applications. A previous poster stated the benefits of being able to draw heat out of your engine via an alloy chassis, and that helps keep that same costly engine running.

So in the end, get a feel of is needed vs. what is cool, because that way you will not have wasted time making something few will buy. Plus this will keep you busy.
Thanks for the advice, everything on here I will look at and see how things are gonna w ork out.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There will be a non-aluminium chassis pretty soon, a solution never seen before in RC.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Rookie

I have 15 years of work in this field, I have also created a frame for 1/8 gas, but not useless, wasted money. Instead, I worked very well with the electric, especially the frames, making copies of the originals, and with so many changes to put other front ends or with more space, more step, or more thick to get more stiffness or more FLEXIBILITY '. The study of the orientation of the fibers and very important in this field because 'influence the twist and flexibility'. In practice requires much experience and trial and error, then the result of evaluating and updating production tables to assess what needs depending on the customer's request. To do this we must also go in person to see the differences on the slopes. The machines that have little steering, making the righteous new frames can be corrected, others that they too also, giving the tires with the chassis and the adherence of the various paths.
The towers door dampers have a branch at a loss, if they sell a few copies of the originals, and very few, amended.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Do you have a CNC?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

CAD??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.