Futaba 9450 as steering servo >

Futaba 9450 as steering servo

Futaba 9450 as steering servo

Old 06-08-2005, 06:54 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Default Futaba 9450 as steering servo

Hi guys,

has anybody had any bad experience using this servo in 1/10 scale gas car as a steering servo?

Pls let me know since I am about to buy one.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Almost any servo from Futaba are good....I have like 12 so far, only 1 failed after 5 years of abuse.......
9450 sounds like a old model.....9451 is the current model, that is the most popular steering servo widely used for TC (I think..) however, if you want to save some weigh.....I use 9550 Low Pro for my 1/10th TC (NTC3, Serpent...etc)...........
Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Thanks.

I am getting a barely used one for around 50USD, so that's why it is 9450 and not 9451, but I have heard Futaba didn't change much on them if anything at all.

Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mxs
Thanks.

I am getting a barely used one for around 50USD, so that's why it is 9450 and not 9451, but I have heard Futaba didn't change much on them if anything at all.

Thanks again.

Go get it, $50 is a good deal....beside, their don't break like other brands.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Go get it, $50 is a good deal....beside, their don't break like other brands.
what do you prefer for 1/8th steering servo?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by joemugen
what do you prefer for 1/8th steering servo?
I only use FUTABA, and my NT and Veteq are using S9451 digital, 0.10 sec at 6v and 121 plus oz torq are more then enough for 1/8th....(on road, know nothing about off road..)
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

Since we are talking about the servos, what do you recommend for throttle. I know that pretty much all people I know always say. Well for throttle, just use anything. What do you think? I am using S3003 on my NTC3 as a throttle servo. I don't notice any problems, like throttle reaction delay etc.

Also, if you can have Futaba 9451 and Airtronics 9460 for the same price which one would you pick? I heard and read that a lot of people like the Airtronics, plus it has an alluminum heatsink. Would the alluminum make the case more beefy against damage? If not what's the purpose of it instead using plastic.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

s3003 is fine. The only problem with it is if you have the hrs recievers they need all digital.

Also the s3004 is the bearing version. Would just make things smoother. If you dont notice any delay that bothers or effects you your fine.

I use the s3003 for my steering servo even on my r40 and my car performed fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mxs
Since we are talking about the servos, what do you recommend for throttle. I know that pretty much all people I know always say. Well for throttle, just use anything. What do you think? I am using S3003 on my NTC3 as a throttle servo. I don't notice any problems, like throttle reaction delay etc.

Also, if you can have Futaba 9451 and Airtronics 9460 for the same price which one would you pick? I heard and read that a lot of people like the Airtronics, plus it has an alluminum heatsink. Would the alluminum make the case more beefy against damage? If not what's the purpose of it instead using plastic.

Thanks
I don't know about other ppl.....for me, the whole radio system, I only use the same brand, like FUTABA, I use everything from Futaba, I am not a believer of MIX and MATCH except the receiver or servo are designed for MULTI brand transmittor use (like Novak, LRP reciever...)
So I cannot tell the qualitier of Sanwa/Airtronic....but I am sure, they are just as good..............I only know Futaba, and I think you are concern too much, I think servo/receiver are one of the few last things that you will be damaged while you are racing....unless you are totally WOT on a 1/8th hitting 80mph straight to a concrete wall.....nothing can survive on that.

The alumnum works as a heat sink....it is not a protection case, if protecting from impact of these servo are necessary, everyone will come out a case iron made servos for RC use....

About throttle.....S3003 is a little bit cheap...yes, I agree with you, $80 for a throttle servo is a little bit high, if you have limited fund, and must pick one servo to upgrdae, your choice should be the STEERING.....but on the throttle, Futaba came out couple servos that is less then $35/$25 and are a lot better then S3003, and also, fast on throttle speed, but also STRONG on fully braking....

(1) S3305...actually, this is a CHEAP but strong steering servo, just a little bit slow...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDWF8&P=ML

(2) For throttle, I use this 3010 mate with my S9550 steering....good enough for big race, and way within my budget...0.16sec and 72oz....enough for 1/10th TC throttle....however, might be a little short on 1/8th braking....but I think it is do-able.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDTB3&P=ML

(3) Another good digital servo, low in price, and good for throttle...0.18sec with 87 oz...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHKB0&P=7
Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

RookieSolara;

I get your point (actually points).

I throw another angle into the discussion. If I can find and afford both servos in digital (like 9451 and 3152), should I prefer them against analog (especially if 3010 is only cheaper by few bucks). Is there any disadvantage using both servos digital except for I heard they might be too quick for some people and if their radio cannot slow them down it might be pretty uncomfortable driving. I don't think there are any restrictions as far as what radio is one using, right?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Some digitals will fry on the throttle. Reason why some people dont get them. The newer digitals though , at least from futaba are ok for use on the throttle.

But I still wouldnt waste my money on that area or risk it unless I had the hrs system.

The s3010 is a good suggestion for a better performance version.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Here's my take on the fast vs slow throttle servo issue. I've tried it both ways, but I prefer using a faster servo over a 3003 standard type. I can make crisper mid corner throttle adjustments with a faster servo. The one dissadvantage to the faster servo is that its easier to jerk the car and spin it out. The slower servo can smooth this out a bit. Also, with the brakes, I haven't found any advantage to a higher tourque servo, but then I don't use much brakes.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Here's my take on the fast vs slow throttle servo issue. I've tried it both ways, but I prefer using a faster servo over a 3003 standard type. I can make crisper mid corner throttle adjustments with a faster servo. The one dissadvantage to the faster servo is that its easier to jerk the car and spin it out. The slower servo can smooth this out a bit. Also, with the brakes, I haven't found any advantage to a higher tourque servo, but then I don't use much brakes.
If you have a nice transmitter you can slow / smooth the servo movement. But thats a good point.

And yeah with throttle torque ive never seen my car need more than a pinkys flick of power to apply full tire shredding brakes. But maybe thats just my on-roads.

Other good thing with a fast throttle servo is you get better abs. You can get faster pulsing...while other servos will kind of come to a point of how fast it can pulse. The drawback is more power use on the faster / stronger ones. And with a digital its even worse as they use even more power. But they are also more accurate and can hold position much better.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:10 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

Interesting points, thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mxs
Hi guys,

has anybody had any bad experience using this servo in 1/10 scale gas car as a steering servo?

Pls let me know since I am about to buy one.

Thanks
I think this is the best servo for the money. Never had a problem with mine.

9450 Steering
9451 Throttle

Thanks
www.twistertires.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.