Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

is nitro dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
Well instead of spending all that time on reading up on how to run nitro they can just get electric...no?
So if they don't want to expand their knowledge and be lazy they can go electric... Got It! haha

Electric is good for one thing, Winter racing to keep the skills sharp. Outside of that why would you race it in the summer? What fun is a race that lasts 5 to 8 minutes total with not so much as a pit stop? Don't get me wrong I run electric when I want to bash with a slash around the house, or race in the winter.

You want to simulate actual racing the only way to do it is nitro (or gasoline). There is nothing better than a 150 lap, hour long main where pit strategy like real racing plays a factor in the result.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nitro as a whole is not dying, just shifting from onroad to offroad as far as emphasis in participation. In today's economic climate, it seems to be easier to start-up an outdoor offroad track over an onroad track. While nitro onroad is in decline in many areas, nitro offroad is on the increase. In fact, there have been two to three offroad tracks to start here in Texas that feature sizes that are very nitro friendly (very large in scale, no pun intended).

As I have learned over the many years I have run nitro, tuning is a skill/art/craft that many of the new people starting in nitro don't want to learn. There are some that have learned to listen to a running nitro engine, pay attention to the level of smoke coming out of the pipe and can tell you that it is running too lean, too rich, etc. Personally, I have spent a few years learning the skill and have not burned up an engine since (burned up several prior to learning).

Nitro as a whole will not go away anytime soon, unless there is a big government/EPA push to do so. It is just currently in a valley in the cyclical patterns which drives purchases in the hobby. Before too long, folks will be asking if electric is dying due to nitro being at its peak and electric being in its valley.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blis
All depends if you want to wait an hour or three seconds and fill a tank.
This is a misleading comment. I get 25 minute run times on my electric buggy. While the 2nd battery is in use the 2nd one is charging ready to go back in for later. Run time is not an advantage.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Cool TZGP

Originally Posted by tommy911t
this weekend in the world of nitro...

Saturday: 4, 7 min qualifiers

Sunday: Bump spot secured after a 30 min B main. Two hours later raced for 45 min in the A.

zombie fun in the sun
"One Zombie to Another", "I feel ya Tommie".....20 min C Main-Bump, 30 min B Main Opps, 8th place in 10th Scale.....30 min Pit B!tch 4 Jacko's B Main then 30 min B Main 4 me and 4th place in 8th Scale, (BTW, congrats on your Win/Bumpup ), then 45 min Corner Marshal, 45 min Pit B!tch duty, (Jacko's Bump to A Main), closed out with 45 min Corner Marshal and watching JJ Wang spank all the 8th Scale A Main Doggs! Whewwwww!

And that was just Sunday!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Devin
This is a misleading comment. I get 25 minute run times on my electric buggy. While the 2nd battery is in use the 2nd one is charging ready to go back in for later. Run time is not an advantage.
Devin, then why don't EP runners run a full length 20-30 minute race instead of short sprints?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For off road, I am sure 1/2 hour race or even 1 hour race are not the problem if they allow pit stop of changing batteries....but for on road, I doubt the motor and tires can last more then 8 minutes.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
For off road, I am sure 1/2 hour race or even 1 hour race are not the problem if they allow pit stop of changing batteries....but for on road, I doubt the motor and tires can last more then 8 minutes.
Indeed...

I think there's a lot of scare mongering going on in RC with ppl telling 1/2 truths about the cost of racing in all modes. There's nothing cheap about racing EP, specially with the sharp advances in technology, you'll be spending a lot of $$ keeping up.

Whether it's as expensive as running nitro at a top level, it's hard to say. But you can run nitro on a budget, many have and many do. It's the "racing" that's expensive.

One thing I will say is that 200mm nitro touring is is a single class, everyone's on the same playing field, no stock or slower spec cars, it's .12ci, WOT go for it and do your best. Buy a decent engine, car for it and it's going to last longer than most people think.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We have had a pretty consistant run of nitro cars this year. last year too we had two heats on a regular basis and was epic fun.
Im surprised nitro isnt more popular outdoors than it is though. dont need nearly as much support equipement as you do for electric. you can leave the charger at home and run a whole day on modern life rx packs and i bet my starter box could go a month without a charge.
sure, fuel and tires can be expensive but nothing to stop you running spec rubber tires. or a spec fuel thats cheaper ect.

telling people they need super modified motors doesnt help either. I started with a $50 os engine for 2001, blew it up. upgraded slightly to a 2007 engine.. blew that up... lol. and now i know what im doing... i think...lol.

the most satisfying type of racing though when everything comes together and you finish the long main. doesnt matter if you won, the car is in one peice at the end of the race, excellent feeling.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by valk
We have had a pretty consistant run of nitro cars this year. last year too we had two heats on a regular basis and was epic fun.
Im surprised nitro isnt more popular outdoors than it is though. dont need nearly as much support equipement as you do for electric. you can leave the charger at home and run a whole day on modern life rx packs and i bet my starter box could go a month without a charge.
sure, fuel and tires can be expensive but nothing to stop you running spec rubber tires. or a spec fuel thats cheaper ect.

telling people they need super modified motors doesnt help either. I started with a $50 os engine for 2001, blew it up. upgraded slightly to a 2007 engine.. blew that up... lol. and now i know what im doing... i think...lol.

the most satisfying type of racing though when everything comes together and you finish the long main. doesnt matter if you won, the car is in one peice at the end of the race, excellent feeling.
I agree 100%
Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1
Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

+1
Old 07-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The Carcass is ripe...
Attached Thumbnails is nitro dying?-deadhorse11.gif  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Why Nitro Can't die

Nitro Can't die because I have 3 gallons of fuel left and more engines than I have cars. That's why Nitro will never die.

I have 2 serpent 710s with 2 new engines in them and they have to be run, so, keep racing and keep building track out there an i hope to see you racing.

As for electric, I have that too and Both are to me equally fun but there are differences. Electric is a throw and go kinda racing. You don't have the additional issues of run time on the receiver pack, or engine tuning, or clutch setup. These things can make racing difficult, but, once you get the hang of it and if you race at the same track, it's not too bad.

Foam tires are expensive and that is one thing that keeps me from running Nitro onroad. I have never found a pair of Sorex 38s or Sorex 40s to run, but, I'm sure they would work better than 36s. I ran 36s and basically burned up the tires. They could not take the heat. They were super sticky for the first 2 laps, and then they were done. Like driving on ice.

Anyway...

Remember, I have 3 gallons and nitro can't die til I'm out of fuel and have no more engines to run. Lol..
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Nitro Can't die because I have 3 gallons of fuel left and more engines than I have cars. That's why Nitro will never die.

I have 2 serpent 710s with 2 new engines in them and they have to be run, so, keep racing and keep building track out there an i hope to see you racing.

As for electric, I have that too and Both are to me equally fun but there are differences. Electric is a throw and go kinda racing. You don't have the additional issues of run time on the receiver pack, or engine tuning, or clutch setup. These things can make racing difficult, but, once you get the hang of it and if you race at the same track, it's not too bad.

Foam tires are expensive and that is one thing that keeps me from running Nitro onroad. I have never found a pair of Sorex 38s or Sorex 40s to run, but, I'm sure they would work better than 36s. I ran 36s and basically burned up the tires. They could not take the heat. They were super sticky for the first 2 laps, and then they were done. Like driving on ice.

Anyway...

Remember, I have 3 gallons and nitro can't die til I'm out of fuel and have no more engines to run. Lol..
Nitro is nowhere near dead! The gas nats turnout in a few months will prove..........what's dead in our area is 1/8! 1/10 is very much alive........u actually may b able to watch swr rightnow on liverc!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Anyway...

I'm with you man. I have enough engines & gallons of fuel to keep NItro on life support for a bit. BRING ON the Nitro ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.