R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Kyosho v-one rrr vs Mugen MTX 3 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/73542-kyosho-v-one-rrr-vs-mugen-mtx-3-a.html)

Jye 05-27-2005 08:10 AM

Kyosho v-one rrr vs Mugen MTX 3

I just wanted to know some pros and cons of each kit. If possible some opinons on which one has known to perform better.

Joe Chaplow 05-27-2005 08:29 AM

i have had both cars and here is my 2 cents:
rrr has a better internal gear ratio, making for better acceleration
both cars very strong, but mtx-3 a tad stronger
mtx-3 has better quality parts... meaning they last longer
i now drive the rrr... so i would have to say i prefer the rrr... but i will probably drive the mtx-4 when it comes out... i think mugen is better quality than kyosho. but the mtx-3 is just a little outdated.

performula 05-27-2005 08:33 AM

If the MTX3 has aged it has aged well. All I hear are great things about the Mugen, even three years later.

Jye 05-27-2005 08:56 AM

so joe, your choosing rrr right now just cause its more up to date right? so its safe to say when mugen has a newer kit you would give it better ratings over the rrr?

Joe Chaplow 05-27-2005 09:10 AM

basically that is correct. more specifically, i am choosing it because the gear ratio is more up to date... outside the gear ratio, both cars are very similar, but i do think mugen is better quality. so i would have to say that i would prefer to drive a mugen and am waiting for their new car... i am sure they will update their gear ratio.

heathcliff 05-27-2005 10:12 AM

MTX-4 worth the wait???

Hi guys, I am currently shopping for a new nitro ride. Very tempted to jump on the RRR due to the extremely good reviews. But, lots of people are speculating the release of the mugen's new ride, Mtx-4, although CAD pics of the car hasn't been released yet. Question is do you guys think its worth the wait getting a Mugen or the RRR? And how long more do you think the RRR will be around before the release of the 'RRRR'? One thing for sure, mugen doesn't change cars that often. :lol:

teammpp 05-27-2005 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by heathcliff
Hi guys, I am currently shopping for a new nitro ride. Very tempted to jump on the RRR due to the extremely good reviews. But, lots of people are speculating the release of the mugen's new ride, Mtx-4, although CAD pics of the car hasn't been released yet. Question is do you guys think its worth the wait getting a Mugen or the RRR? And how long more do you think the RRR will be around before the release of the 'RRRR'? One thing for sure, mugen doesn't change cars that often. :lol:

The new Mugen wont be released for a few months yet. im running a 3 now and its by far the best car I have run yet. Mugen make cars that well that the others have to bring new cars out every year or so in the hope of catching up :lol:

Jye 05-27-2005 11:34 AM

palmaris, have you tested an r40? i hear really good things about it too. if you have you prefer mugen over it?

teammpp 05-27-2005 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jye
palmaris, have you tested an r40? i hear really good things about it too. if you have you prefer mugen over it?

Yep. I have ran one for a few laps. Nice car but I felt it just wasnt as good as the Mugen. The Mugen seems to be a better choice for my driving style. Each car suits a different driving style and regardless of how good or bad a car is if it is better suited to your driving style you will get better results from it.

Jye 05-27-2005 12:17 PM

AH i see. Here in new orleans we dont have any onroad tracks so my resources are limited, so i try to ask alot in the forums here.

performula 05-27-2005 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by heathcliff

From other releases, we get the spoilers throughout the summer, but the actual kit car...I would be surprised if it came out before December if there is a new car on the way.

Francis M. 05-27-2005 02:28 PM

ive use to own a mugen mtx3 and now own the RRR. i have to say the RRR has alot more corner speed than the mugen and the RRR has alot more tuning options which can either be a good thing or the worst thing for some depending on your tuning expirience. Although i will have to give mugen the nod on build quality. for example Shocks and pinion gears. the plastic on the kyosho seems to be just as good as mugen's.

Jamie Corrado 05-27-2005 02:30 PM

JYE,
My vote is for the MTX-3 hands down. By far the most stable car of the bunch. Excellent handling with box stock set-up and only gets better with your tuning experience. Great parts support. The list could go on and on and on. You might say this is a biased opinion since I own and run a Mugen MTX-3, but I have actuallly owned quit a few of the other kits mentioned above. Low and behold I always went back to my MTX-3 and will never stray again, except for an MTX-4. :nod: I am not trying to knock any other company, but only giving my 2 cents. And remember alot comes down to driving ability and chassis set-up. So you could essencially get any of the present day kit to do what you are looking for, it all boils down to preference.

Derby Bros Racing 05-27-2005 03:15 PM

MTX-3 is an older kit but still very capable and fast.
it's very durable also.

i vote Mugen

Sow&Steady 05-27-2005 03:54 PM

Having tested both (I own an MTX3 and MarkP27 sent his RRR for a test), I must agree with most of the "votes" here that while the MTX3 is an older car, it is more durable and is still fast.

I posted a video of the RRR test on my website 3hobby.net
You'll find it in the downloads section.

There is also a two-part article written on the build by MarkP27 and the test by me in the Content section.