Community
Wiki Posts
Search

in need of a clutch for Kyosho R4S II /OS Speed 1204

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 06:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default in need of a clutch for Kyosho R4S II /OS Speed 1204

Good day, I have recently built an R4S kit and dropped in an OS Speed 1204.
I live at an elevation of 9000 feet in the Northern Rockies so I am about 25% down on power. I am sure that the stock clutch and motor combo would work great at sea level or even Denver but up here i would like the clutch to engage at a slightly higher RPM to get the car out of the really tight corners just a bit quicker.
The stock clutch is a 2 shoe aluminum with a single spring wrapping around the shoes (not sure what this set up is called?).
The manual it does have an option part listed (VZW442) which is also called a 3D clutch.
I have found one on line from Plaza Japan for about $75 but was wondering if there are and better/recommended alternatives.

Thank you for your time and any suggestions.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:14 AM
Tech Lord

I looked into what you have.

So you have an "old style" clutch, 2 shoes with a spring around it. You can make the clutch shoes lighter or the spring stronger by cutting a short piece of, bend the last winding straight up and hook it again in the other side.

Yes, the 3D clutch is a Centax style clutch with which you can get so much more but be aware if you do not understand the clutch a lot can go wrong as well...
Old 07-03-2022, 08:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm no rookie to the hobby (20+ years) but mostly off road and this would be the first Centax style clutch. Maybe I will order the 3D clutch and while I am waiting for the shipping I will drill a couple of holes in the shoes to lighten them up. I will need to do some 'Youtubing' to get up to speed on the clutch design and workings.
What about a 3 shoe clutch? and ,dumb question time, are clutches for a two speed 1/10 on road standard sized? meaning do I need to be looking for a specific .....something?

Last edited by 8000ft; 07-03-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Most normal clutches used in 1/8 buggies have a standard clutch bell diameter only the flywheel diameter can be different. How it is with 1/10 clutches I can not tell but a 3 shoe or 4 shoe clutch will not give that much advance that a 3D clutch will give so if you can get the 3D clutch you will get the best
Old 07-03-2022, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

just ordered off of Ebay, the only place that I could find one.
I am actually surprised how hard it is to find parts for this car.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:06 PM
Tech Lord

From the past I was told the Xray NT1 clutches do fit Kyosho as well. It is something to look at.