Wiki Posts
Search

What is this? 1/8 scale OFNA nitro something

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default What is this? 1/8 scale OFNA nitro something

Can you identify the make/model of this chassis? It has matching fairly new Hong Nor brand servos, which leads me to believe this is an OFNA or HoBao model. I'm not into 1/8 scale nitro on-road rc's, so I googled a few different things but couldn't find a match. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Attached Thumbnails What is this?  1/8 scale OFNA nitro something-photo%5B1%5D.jpg   What is this?  1/8 scale OFNA nitro something-photo%5B2%5D.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ultra GTP2
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you for the fast accurate reply! 3 more questions for whoever is willing to entertain me:

1 - I have several stock motors/fuel tanks/pipes/etc pulled from very similar looking OFNA Hyper 7 and up buggies (Mac Star 28 I believe). Would that possibly be a drop in setup? I can tell the clutch bells and center diffs are different. The rest of the layout seems almost identical.

2 - Do you see the giant hole drilled in the chassis under where the pullstart would be? Why on earth would someone do that? I also received a Losi 8ight from the same guy with a similar large ugly hole drilled in the chassis. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the block.

3 - In your opinion: Should I restore this rolling chassis? Or part it out? Or just throw a brushless setup in it? I'm not trying to get rich, just trying to put this car back out into the world in a state someone will enjoy it. The only broken parts I noticed in my quick review were broken teeth on the plastic center diff gears. If the answer to #1 is yes, I have all the parts to bring back to life as a nitro. If not, I already have an appropriate brushless setup.

Note: the grayish soot covering the top of the car seems to be overspray from the body I received with it. It's silver, and I guess the guy held the body over the car while spraying on the paint. Like I said in #2, not a very bright guy.

Last edited by matt_is_superco; 05-06-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like he drilled the holes to get clearance for the pull starter
It looks like you should be able to change the bad gear and drop a engine in it and go, but I would take the diffs apart they were bad to strip the ring gears
Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow, the chassis is identical to the OFNA LX 1. I'm leaning toward converting both of these to brushless. I guess it's time for me to switch forum categories. You guys let me know if you need or want any nitro parts I pull off these. Thanks again folks!
Attached Thumbnails What is this?  1/8 scale OFNA nitro something-image.jpg