Wiki Posts
Search

PMB Setup tools: Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default PMB Setup tools: Feedback Needed

Anybody using the PMB setup tools?

How are they in comparison to the others, Hudy, Integy, etc. as far as accuracy and durability?

Is this a case of you get what you pay for? As the PMBs are far cheaper than their namebrand counterparts.

Any feedback is welcomed.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was wondering this myself. It seems all the shots you see are far away.

Also what would be the best system out right now and the best budget system. I heard integys new one is good.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

I have the 1/8th scale buggy setup system. I think it is fine for off-road b/c the changing track conditions make the suspension angles less important. They system is made out of clear plexi-glass and the numbers are difficult to read sometimes. Also it has brass bushings instead of bearings like the Hudy one has. Team magic makes a setup system for 200mm tc's and is around $60.00.

http://www.powerlineracing.com/index...l=&strCompare=
Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the system and it is perfect for for set-up. I bought mine for $49.something from www.gasrccar.com and was a very wise investment.

Like anything plastic that is taken apart and put back together many times...I leave my set-up together. It keeps it from wearing out.

Buy one, very nice at the price. Plus if you crush or break it you're only out $50, not $100 +.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by jnims29
They system is made out of clear plexi-glass and the numbers are difficult to read sometimes.
A little tip that I did with the Hudy that helps a lot and should work on the PRP system as well. Take a black Sharpie and color in the etched lines. Let it dry for about 15 minutes. Then take a paper towel lightly wetted with denatured alcohol and lightly brush the opposite direction of the lines. Make sure you use a clean part of paper towel for each wipe or you will just make a mess. The result will be nice easy to see markings that make your setups much faster.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A scale is always a scale...ruler always a ruler.....I don't see this PMB system is any worst then HUDY or Integy....they are all the same (except the name and packaging)

As long as you can mount the guages onto the wheel nice and clean (without play).........the reading should be very accurate.

I have the Integy one for about 5 years, the 3 degree negative camber on my car is still read -3 degree on my setup system after 5 years.

P.S....just don't buy the clear plastic version........those white lines and numbers are hard to read under strong lights or sun lights.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

I agree with Artificial-I. I have the Integy station. Nice anodised aluminum and ball bearings too. I got mine for $70 including plastic case. I've seen them for cheaper online too.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The PMB system is fine. I left my hudy at home on race day so I borrowed a buddys PMB. When I put my mrx4 on the PMB system I got the same numbers the hudy gave me the night before.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

I picked up a PMB board yesterday. They were out of 1/8 onroad
tools so I'll have to shop around.

Thanks for the all info.

Does Integy carry setup tools for 1/8 onroad?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

I have and love the Integy set up for Touring cars. The solid aluminum, with painted on WHITE numerals are much easier to read.

I have the PMB set up sys. for my MRX3 8th scale, and it's more visible than the Hudy, but the crossbar, to measure toe, doesn't fit the bearings, and has to be forced into the slots on the crosspiece.