Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128 >

New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128

New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Lightbulb New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128

PROTOform is proud to release the PFL128 race body for 1:8 IC. This body takes styling cues from a “new for 2013″ LMP2 racer slated to run in the WEC Championship along with 24h of Le Mans. It meets all EFRA (#31531), IFMAR and ROAR rules.

For more information, head to our website!
Attached Thumbnails New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128-l128.jpg   New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128-1533-side.jpg   New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128-1533-front.jpg   New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128-1533-rear.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Great body! Thanks a lot for providing us 1/8th racers with a new option for 2013.

Please be so kind and add its characteristics to the body and track selector on your website. Is it neutral or agressive, for low or high grip conditions?

Thanks again. So long...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Making ugly bodies like that should be criminal!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BJS414
Making ugly bodies like that should be criminal!

Jeez that's a bit harsh.

Mum always told me if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Form follows function. It can be ugly as sin, but if my car is faster with it then its a beauty!!

This is NOT an ugly body...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

.why do our 1 /8 on road bodies have to become cartoonish like buggies/truggies??.......we need some realism........
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Tech Rookie

The coloring is good but the 1/8 bodies are always that ugly and unrealistic. This is not an exception and not exceptionally ugly as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

fulcrum2;
When i have some authoritative information to post regarding the PFL128's performance strengths I'll definitely do that. This thing is so new that I haven't had much to say. The first bodies were just sent out in recent days to the Winternationals in Florida - but the weather was not too great, so there was only one team driver that had a chance to try it out. DJ Apolero did manage a podium finish in the 1/8th IC Main with a PFL128 on his car, and that was encouraging.

BJS414;
Thanks for sharing. Looks like I'll just have to try harder. I don't want to be thrown on jail by the "Personal Taste" police. I've been there - it's nasty. (personally, I think they are commies)

Taylorm;
I hear ya buddy - seriously. If I did this body-design thing for a hobby or some form of personal expression, I'd concentrate on the realism aspect. But the harsh reality is that I do this as an occupation. I'd simply go out of business because there are so few guys that think like us. Most rc racers like to actually "race". When the realistic cars are getting lapped a minute into a race by the guys using functional bodies, the realism enthusiasts eventually change to a more functional racebody or get frustrated and quit the hobby completely. Thus, the functional bodies outsell the realistic ones a hundred to one - I stay in business - and most people are happy.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Dale Epp - Protoform
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by daleepp
fulcrum2;
When i have some authoritative information to post regarding the PFL128's performance strengths I'll definitely do that.
Please make a comparing list with the populair and look-a-like P909, I think for most people it will be understanding because a lot of drivers know how the P909 is.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Taylorm;
I hear ya buddy - seriously. If I did this body-design thing for a hobby or some form of personal expression, I'd concentrate on the realism aspect. But the harsh reality is that I do this as an occupation. I'd simply go out of business because there are so few guys that think like us. Most rc racers like to actually "race". When the realistic cars are getting lapped a minute into a race by the guys using functional bodies, the realism enthusiasts eventually change to a more functional racebody or get frustrated and quit the hobby completely. Thus, the functional bodies outsell the realistic ones a hundred to one - I stay in business - and most people are happy.

Dale Epp - Protoform[/QUOTE]..i get it.....many of us are now running pan cars here in Toledo.....the cars do run better with aerodynamic bodies...but we want some realism....we are going so far as to order bodies from Deltaplastik in Italy just to get bodies that look like cars...just wish there were as many bodies for 1/8 cars as there is for 190-200mm cars....but im sure the demand is WAY less..
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Great body!
How do you know?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Is it just me, or do they look pretty similar, particulary the front?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Great body!
How do you know?
Because DJ Apolaro scored a podium finish with it

Actually I meant "great looking body"...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Taylorm;

Dale Epp - Protoform
..i get it.....many of us are now running pan cars here in Toledo.....the cars do run better with aerodynamic bodies...but we want some realism....we are going so far as to order bodies from Deltaplastik in Italy just to get bodies that look like cars...just wish there were as many bodies for 1/8 cars as there is for 190-200mm cars....but im sure the demand is WAY less..[/QUOTE]

Which is why I ordered three Elfins. Some guys are more concerned with shaving .01 second off their lap than having fun. Then again, I'm the guy still running Indy bodies...because it's fun! (and looks a hell of a lot more realistic.)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Some of you guys amaze me with your comments. None of you make/product bodies but are quick to slam Dale for the work he does. I have had the luxury to talk to Dale in length a few years ago and if you think what he does as far as making bodies for the r/c world is easy, then by all means, go for it. Sorry that the body is not to the liking of some of you, but if you think you can do better, knock yourself out. Oh, and for those of you that want more realism, I hope you have a buttload of cash for the licensing it will take to make that "realistic" body, because the likes of Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren/Mercedes, Panoz, etc will want their cut of the monies that will be made off that "realistic" body that you are going to produce for the r/c world. And, it better be good because the critics will be hoovering around to critize it if it is not up to par. Oh, and it is amazing that many of the bodies that are "backpoured" from bodies produced by Dale don't seem to get the same criticism for not being "realistic"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.