Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710 - Is it old???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Serpent 710 - Is it old???

Hi, I am considering buying a Serpent 710 from someone and need some help.

Is the 710 a really old model? Is it very outdated compared to the current models (733 / 747)?

The 710 I am considering is in great shape and comes with everything except the receiver and starter and the seller is asking for $400.

Please let me know you thoughts and much appreciated!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bescacho

Is the 710 a really old model? Is it very outdated compared to the current models (733 / 747)?

The 710 I am considering is in great shape and comes with everything except the receiver and starter and the seller is asking for $400.

The 710 is outdated. you may have troubles finding parts for it if you break it.
the 720 was released after that, then in 2009 the 720 had its last release, quickly followed by the 733 , then last year the 747 came out. i had problems finding parts for my 720. could be sourced, but it was hit and miss.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As Patto says you will find it hard to get parts for... if you already owned it I would say run it, but certainly wouldn't pay $400 for one unless you had a heap of spares to keep you going for awhile!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's pretty old, parts might be difficult to find, and like has already been mentioned, $400 sounds really steep unless you're getting a ton of new spares. On the bright side, it's still a competitive chassis at the club level, at least; still running mine only because of this and the fact I've got a NIB kit for spares. But for that kind of money, you should be able to pick up a much newer car.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all for the information! I think I will look for something newer. I was originally interested because of the chassis' competitiveness at the club level... but lack of parts is a real issue.

Is the 747 a huge improvement over the 733?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default 710 is a very capable machine...

Thank you all for the information! I think I will look for something newer. I was originally interested because of the chassis' competitiveness at the club level... but lack of parts is a real issue.

Is the 747 a huge improvement over the 733?

dude dont "buy" into the "newest is the best", unless your going to be driving agains Michael Salven , Josh Cryll, Art Cambell, or the other top drivers in the world right now. The 710 is a rocket ship and if your good enough to drive it you can beat anyone with a new car.

dont worry about "parts avalibility" but if your a HACK by all mean's buy somthing you can get parts for..

Serpent "no matter what year they are" are built using the finest material's avalible on the market, there tolerance's is second to NONE..

you may not be able to get part's for the older one's at your hobby shop there are part's out there. and with the price being so low on the market right now, you can pick up complete car's for next to nothing.

It isnt all about the "car" 90% of racing RC anything is how good of a mechanic you have building the car, and the level of driver driving it.

been a while since i have "raced" but i have older car's that i would have no problem racing against anything "current" out there.

I have had litterly ever car serpent has produced, the newer stuff is lighter/faster but will not survive a meeting with the board's "no hacking allowed"

The older stuff, "6000's,Excells" kiss the board's a few time's "tanks" and your still running.

400.00 might seem "alot" to some guy's for older gear, but if it hasnt been used much, and is not a raced out POS on its last leg it could be worth every dime of the 400.00 asking price.

What im saying is NO MATTER WHAT SERPENT YOU DESIDE TO BUY YOUR GOING TO GET THE BEST MONEY CAN BUY >>. Im off my soapbox now... Jesse
Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

$400 is too much. If were you I, wouldnt get it. I bet you can find something more current for about the same price if you take time to look. I sold my 733 for $200 a month ago, so just keep looking. I would rather save and get the latest, only because you can keep it for a number years without it being outdated and parts being available. The 710 was a great car, but its 4 generations old. Just too old IMO.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Impulse and 705 are old. 710 Stormer Hobbies still have parts. If you are a basher fine. Racer ok if a rookie. Advanced go to a newer model. $400 seems a little high. Depend how old the motor, type of servos. A good start anyway.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone.

I am still an amateur despite having owned a beginner nitro on-road (Kyosho GP-10 which is an old school on-road version of Inferno).

I am looking to get my first "serious" on-road vehicle which I can learn and grow with. I don't want to invest a huge amount in my first vehicle which is why I am looking into a well equipped 2nd hand at a reasonable price. The vehicle I get will likely be with me for the next few years so something that is already very outdated doesn't seem to make sense to me (i.e. hard to get replacement/upgrade parts in future).

Having said that, what should I look at or buy?

I am a little lost!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks everyone.

I am still an amateur despite having owned a beginner nitro on-road (Kyosho GP-10 which is an old school on-road version of Inferno).

I am looking to get my first "serious" on-road vehicle which I can learn and grow with. I don't want to invest a huge amount in my first vehicle which is why I am looking into a well equipped 2nd hand at a reasonable price. The vehicle I get will likely be with me for the next few years so something that is already very outdated doesn't seem to make sense to me (i.e. hard to get replacement/upgrade parts in future).

Having said that, what should I look at or buy?

I am a little lost!
im sure there are some 733 cars about. for similar money. also if you are looking to do this for a few years with the chassis you purchase, i would seriously look at at least getting new servos for it. last thing you need is a servo to lock on full throttle with the stuff you just baught. second hand doesnt always mean the cheapest option. some low profile Savox servos are quite cheap , and being new, you know there will be no issue with them for some time. not like second hand stuff, you dont know how long , and how many cars they have gone through.

Where abouts are you located ? i have a 747 i wish to sell soon.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Where abouts are you located ? i have a 747 i wish to sell soon.[/QUOTE]

Interesting

Pass you soon...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Pattojnr, good point that 2nd hand may not be the cheapest option.

Please PM me about the details of your 747 sale.

Are you just selling the chassis or are you including engine, servos... etc.?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Tech Rookie

the 710 is really an outdated model..buy the latest model,you may be difficult
to find spares for the old model
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I own a hobby shop and many part #s for the 710 are NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

I suggest that you get a more current car.

Lee
Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default old serpent parts

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I own a hobby shop and many part #s for the 710 are NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

I suggest that you get a more current car.

Lee
mabey im just a die hard serpent fan? you can get on fleebay and get any part you basically need for any of there car's. New Old Stock, used, ect..

yes 400.00 is alot for a outdated car, and for a used 200mm it is kind of overpriced.

but hey there is always a Team Majic G4 for 179.00 new in box needing built.. jesse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.