Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5th ANNUAL TIMEZONE GRAN PRIX JULY 18TH THRU 21ST 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Is the motor rule still $280 max for GT8?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For you, it's $150, Tony. They bumped it from $200 last year to $280 this year. Not there yet, but it's an improvement.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1
For you, it's $150, Tony. They bumped it from $200 last year to $280 this year. Not there yet, but it's an improvement.
Plenty of quality options at the $280 mark.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Plenty of quality options at the $280 mark.
I agree 100% as I own an engine under the limit and above. That being said those GT8 racers that do not have an engine for under the $280 limit will have to spend an additional $200 to $280 to race at this race. That in my opinion will weaken the overall attendance. I think the race tracks that have eliminated this rule have seen their GT8 attendance jump. I hope to make this race in the near future but most of the racers I race with will not go because of this rule. We all want to see the GT8 class grow. Byron's Challenge changed their stance and it will be interesting to see the number count for their race this year. Last year I believe they had around 25 entries give or take a few. I have heard a lot of good things about the Time Zone race and want to pencil it in on my calender.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by chaderick
I agree 100% as I own an engine under the limit and above. That being said those GT8 racers that do not have an engine for under the $280 limit will have to spend an additional $200 to $280 to race at this race. That in my opinion will weaken the overall attendance. I think the race tracks that have eliminated this rule have seen their GT8 attendance jump. I hope to make this race in the near future but most of the racers I race with will not go because of this rule. We all want to see the GT8 class grow. Byron's Challenge changed their stance and it will be interesting to see the number count for their race this year. Last year I believe they had around 25 entries give or take a few. I have heard a lot of good things about the Time Zone race and want to pencil it in on my calender.
I'm not sure how close TZ GP came to the 'max 100 entries' last year but the place was rockin. I like the new price range for the motors and since this is in 'the man's back yard', I think he can do what ever he wants. If it was 'open' on the engines, I see many more people questioning whether they want to strap on the TZ GP. Taking on Paolo et al last year was humbling enough with the $200 engine cap.

It's all good, I told Rick that I really appreciated the fact that he built a race track rather than a 'SWIMMING POOL'.........!!!!!!!

I understand that if I want to run 'ALL OUT', I can go back to L.A. or go visit my son in the great state of Texas.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1

Thanks for the update Spook, hope to see and race you guys soon. Dont think my current motor sponsor has a motor under $280 I can run.They designed the M7T-GT, with the emphasis for only GT. The motor is truly amazing inside and out. I am sure my motor guy Mantisworx could chime in on this he just broke 2 in for me this week.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Thanks for the update Spook, hope to see and race you guys soon. Dont think my current motor sponsor has a motor under $280 I can run.They designed the M7T-GT, with the emphasis for only GT. The motor is truly amazing inside and out. I am sure my motor guy Mantisworx could chime in on this he just broke 2 in for me this week.
+1 hands down the nicest engine i have played with to date! I completed the first break in and 90% tune today. The engine has very unique internals and amazing attention to detail. Probably the first engine I have opened up and actually decided not to touch it, that says alot! REDS has pretty much given Tony the keys to get a GT combo set in stone which in turn means I get to do some tuning! Tony Got his first engine two days before Homestead and it still has pinch, feels like the one i broke in today! So i will be using his original engine until i can get a new one! Well worth the hefty price tag if you ask me.

Now back to the subject at hand, IMO the GT class is evolving and evolving at a fast rate last weekend we were in Brownsville TX and there were 22 GT cars at a parking lot club race, Thats insane!! limiting the engine is just going to decrease the head count at that event point blank. The "pro" guys more than likely will not show, purchasing an engine for one event just makes no sense. I could be wrong but we are in the 5th month of the year and not one event so far has had engine limiting and there has been no complaints or bickering about it. At the nova challenge Paolo and Desoto had (well i know Desoto for sure) was running a 9 port while most of us were running 7pt, if you watch the vid you can tell they had more top speed but it really wasnt enough to pass unless they were able to make a "run" going into the straight. My car had more corner exit grunt so it was a chess match and it was fun!
All I am saying is let the class evolve, do what the racers want and all will be well The cream will always rise to the top, limiting engines isnt really going to change the outcome, will it????
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I'm not sure how close TZ GP came to the 'max 100 entries' last year but the place was rockin. I like the new price range for the motors and since this is in 'the man's back yard', I think he can do what ever he wants. If it was 'open' on the engines, I see many more people questioning whether they want to strap on the TZ GP. Taking on Paolo et al last year was humbling enough with the $200 engine cap.

It's all good, I told Rick that I really appreciated the fact that he built a race track rather than a 'SWIMMING POOL'.........!!!!!!!

I understand that if I want to run 'ALL OUT', I can go back to L.A. or go visit my son in the great state of Texas.
How many GT8 entries did they have? He has every right to do as he pleases. It is after all his track and I couldn't agree more. Just putting out the vibe that I'm hearing on the streets. We ran open engine for GT8 at Homestead in January and again at the Novarossi Challenge last month in Houston. I haven't heard a single negative response about it. Again I have heard a lot of good things about the Time Zone Race. Not trying to down it by any means.
Keep in mind sometimes it is more costly to buy a cheaper product than one that costs more. I bought a Weber grille that lasted me 9 years while my buddy would only spend half that on a cheaper grille. He end up buying three grilles to my one. That same thing could be said about an engine. I understand the side that wants to put a price ceiling on a engine. I don't think it is ultimately keeping the overall cost down though.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We are offering 1/8 scale open, foam tires, .21 limit unlimited $ amount
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Smile TZ GP GT counts

CHADERICK........

The GT count the last 2 years has been 2 full heats as I remember. I just checked and it's unfortunate that KO PROPO only has 1 full heat this go-round. We almost had 2 full heats for GT at the Airtronics Race.

If you go to TZ GP you'll get to meet the 2 guys that I understood introduced the GT to the locals as a 'try this....it's fun and your startup costs are less than the 1/8th scale and the 1/10th scale'. They let the word get out that the GT was invited and.........off we go.

The 'motor $ cap' was an instrument to bring more racers to that class. The other side of the coin is that the 'world champs' aren't allowed to use 'afterburners'. I raced some of the newer racers that had a difficult time staying on the track but I know darn well they had a blast giving it a try.

Hope to see you there.........
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
CHADERICK........

The GT count the last 2 years has been 2 full heats as I remember. I just checked and it's unfortunate that KO PROPO only has 1 full heat this go-round. We almost had 2 full heats for GT at the Airtronics Race.

If you go to TZ GP you'll get to meet the 2 guys that I understood introduced the GT to the locals as a 'try this....it's fun and your startup costs are less than the 1/8th scale and the 1/10th scale'. They let the word get out that the GT was invited and.........off we go.

The 'motor $ cap' was an instrument to bring more racers to that class. The other side of the coin is that the 'world champs' aren't allowed to use 'afterburners'. I raced some of the newer racers that had a difficult time staying on the track but I know darn well they had a blast giving it a try.

Hope to see you there.........
I understand completely. I hope to race up their next year. I have family that live roughly two hours away. I hope we continue to see the GT8 class grow across the country. Glad to see tracks like the Time Zone put the effort to have races such as these. Are you planning on going to the Byron's Challenge in Chicago next month?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Smile Chaderick

Originally Posted by chaderick
I understand completely. I hope to race up their next year. I have family that live roughly two hours away. I hope we continue to see the GT8 class grow across the country. Glad to see tracks like the Time Zone put the effort to have races such as these. Are you planning on going to the Byron's Challenge in Chicago next month?
Not sure about Byron's but I do have an 'airfare' I have to use in that time frame.......

Timezone is doing the GT8 proud..........
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I will be there, if I have a car or not (I will). GT8 baby!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Timezone May Practice Video

Sorry for the shaking I am working on a better Gopro mount.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Less than two months and counting.

Troy
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice video , Troy. Brings back memories. Can't wait to mix it up with you all again this year. Cousin Clete, save me a seat .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.