What's the scoop on servos these days??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the scoop on servos these days??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What's the scoop on servos these days??

I used to run on road 1/10 back in the day and I've recently gotten a serious case of RC fever again, as some of you may have seen my recent posts. Anyways, I'm replacing these crap stock servos on my dm1 1/7 with Saxov servos. Batt pack is still undetermined but most likely Life. My question is - how much torque and speed do I really need?? I'm looking at the SC-1258TG high speed for steering and the SC-1256TG high torque for throttle and brake, or would it be vis versa? Not looking to spend $400 on servos because I don't see it necessary to have 400oz/in of torque and .0001/sec speed.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i run the 1256 on the steering and 1257 throttle on my GTP remember it is buggy base the heaver you go on dif fluids and the more poewer you got the more you need the steering you could get away with a 1251 or 1252 on the throttle thou
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by GregUnd
I used to run on road 1/10 back in the day and I've recently gotten a serious case of RC fever again, as some of you may have seen my recent posts. Anyways, I'm replacing these crap stock servos on my dm1 1/7 with Saxov servos. Batt pack is still undetermined but most likely Life. My question is - how much torque and speed do I really need?? I'm looking at the SC-1258TG high speed for steering and the SC-1256TG high torque for throttle and brake, or would it be vis versa? Not looking to spend $400 on servos because I don't see it necessary to have 400oz/in of torque and .0001/sec speed.

Thanks,
Greg
I run Kyosho GT8 and have switched to the Savox servos as well and found either the 1258MG or 1268MG great for the steering and am having great results with the 0252SG on throttle/brake. I run the OFNA 1700 NIMH battery and get all the run time I have needed at events. (Futaba radio)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run the Savox SB-2273SG on the steering (Serpent GT) these cars are brutal on the steering servo watch your epa adjustment also.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I went ahead and picked up 2 SC-1258TG from my local hobby shop, they had them for $79 a piece, which isn't bad at all since I don't have to pay shipping. They didn't have the 1256TG but that's ok, they should be more than fine for my dm1. Since my car is completely apart, I haven't been able to try them out.

Still haven't gotten a battery pack yet, I haven't seen anything that has sparked my interest yet.

I do need to get a radio system, I've been looking at the Spektrum DX2S, they have them for $99. Im not sure if I buy all these "features" of the high dollar radio's or not. My biggest thing is acceptable range, fail safe, and I want a radio that is not going to loose signal or be unpredictable. I don't want to have to worry about my car running into something at full speed from lost signal or interfearace, or all of the sudden 100% throttle when your car is 100ft away while breaking in an engine and you cant shut it down until you can pshysically get to the car. Both of which have happened to me in the past.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by GregUnd
I went ahead and picked up 2 SC-1258TG from my local hobby shop, they had them for $79 a piece, which isn't bad at all since I don't have to pay shipping. They didn't have the 1256TG but that's ok, they should be more than fine for my dm1. Since my car is completely apart, I haven't been able to try them out.

Still haven't gotten a battery pack yet, I haven't seen anything that has sparked my interest yet.

I do need to get a radio system, I've been looking at the Spektrum DX2S, they have them for $99. Im not sure if I buy all these "features" of the high dollar radio's or not. My biggest thing is acceptable range, fail safe, and I want a radio that is not going to loose signal or be unpredictable. I don't want to have to worry about my car running into something at full speed from lost signal or interfearace, or all of the sudden 100% throttle when your car is 100ft away while breaking in an engine and you cant shut it down until you can pshysically get to the car. Both of which have happened to me in the past.
Those are great servos but when I saw the list of your 'control concerns', I had to dash to the computer to say .....continue your 'research' on the servo/control theme. It should be made a 'sticky' on this site because the same question has been asked before and the same 'caution' is warranted......

Check with both Savox and 'Spektrum'........there is a difficulty that has surfaced with the combination. That is why when I posted to your question that I use 'Futaba' radio with my Savox and have had them work fine together. We have had several racers either get rid of their 'Spektrum' radio, get a 'glitch-buster' or change to different servos.........check it out.......

I had to give up on Airtronics servos after a failure and Hi Tec proved to be a disappointment also. I fully understand your concerns about not wanting to have a 'run-a-way' etc. I would keep the Savox servos and get a radio that will work with them. (Airtronics radio has been working with 'lightning' speed with the Savox......my Futaba 3PMX works fine with Savox.)

You have some more research to do !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Dont do the spektrum with the savox i am running a ACE Cougar and have not had any problems but I am thinking of a upgrade for acouple more features like my old JR System
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-tige...item20cdb91ba7
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ahhh, I see. Thank you so much for letting me know about this. I had done more research on the spektrum radios after I posted this and I have pretty much decided on Futaba. Too many bad reviews about spektrum and range/control issues. I have not heard but just a couple of people say bad things about Futaba and they really wern't a problem with Futaba but more of the person reviewing it. The 3PMX3 looks nice, I may go with the 4PL just because it looks like a better built radio.... not sure though.

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

the 4pl is a nice system and can use lipo receiver bat without regulator