Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think 1/8 bodies are fascinating with their functionality as a diffuser/wing over realism.. an rc car doesnt have to be realistic? it's about the racing in 8th.

You need that shell to go that fast! it's all relative.. there are plenty of realism classes none go as quick as 8th though do they?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
I think 1/8 bodies are fascinating with their functionality as a diffuser/wing over realism.. an rc car doesnt have to be realistic? it's about the racing in 8th.

You need that shell to go that fast! it's all relative.. there are plenty of realism classes none go as quick as 8th though do they?
As far as I know, there isn't a "realistic" body class that goes as fast as 8th scale pan car. If these guys want "realism", then they should go buy a Miata, Rx7, or older BMW 325 and race SCCA here in the US or get a Mclaren, Ferrari, or Porsche and race in the LeMans series.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Tech Addict

Or stop playing with toy cars and go buy a Go-Kart! can't get any more realistic than that!

When you think about a small object travelling fast such as an RC car, gravity has less of an effect on it due to it's smaller mass and other forces become more prevalent over it. such as adhesion! hence why traction additives work so well on RC cars!

When a small object moves fast through the air it cannot use an aerofoil for instance as the air cannot simply move oscillate that fast.

An exampe is a fly, it's actually closer to swimming through air than flying through it , when people talk about using "scale" wings on small RC cars they're not going to do anything the whole effect of a wing is the low pressure generated by air passing at a different speeds over each side either creating lift or negative lift.

So when you look at an 8th scale body which is acting as a huge air scoop, with side dams and a gurney strip on the rear it's using every known trick in the book that works at that size to generate aerodynamic down force.

We wanted more grip as racers and we got it, so what's the problem? these bodies are NOT copies of bigger cars for a start YOU DONT SIT INSIDE IT! it's an RC car and 8th scales function is to go fast.

The amount of disrespect that has been thrown at Dale in this thread has shocked me, he provides the best bodies for pretty much every class of rc racing going.

Thoroughly unimpressed with some people here.

Rant over flame me!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Tech Lord

I doe believe a more realistic body is more attractive for the spectators. And beside that, what is wrong with less grip and/or speed? It brings back more the need finding a good setup and to deal with a handycap all drivers are facing.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

I believe we're in the final days of 8scale on road racing. These NEW stupid rules will kill the class sooner or later. Makes me not even want to spend my money on it anymore.!!! The bodies changing will give racers more reasons to find ways to sauce their tires. EFRA should not stand in the way a EVOLUTION! What ever does not EVOLVE dies!!! Law of nature!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

They might as well require fitting a human being inside a RC car if they want so much "realism".
Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

+1
Or stop playing with toy cars and go buy a Go-Kart! can't get any more realistic than that!

When you think about a small object travelling fast such as an RC car, gravity has less of an effect on it due to it's smaller mass and other forces become more prevalent over it. such as adhesion! hence why traction additives work so well on RC cars!

When a small object moves fast through the air it cannot use an aerofoil for instance as the air cannot simply move oscillate that fast.

An exampe is a fly, it's actually closer to swimming through air than flying through it , when people talk about using "scale" wings on small RC cars they're not going to do anything the whole effect of a wing is the low pressure generated by air passing at a different speeds over each side either creating lift or negative lift.

So when you look at an 8th scale body which is acting as a huge air scoop, with side dams and a gurney strip on the rear it's using every known trick in the book that works at that size to generate aerodynamic down force.

We wanted more grip as racers and we got it, so what's the problem? these bodies are NOT copies of bigger cars for a start YOU DONT SIT INSIDE IT! it's an RC car and 8th scales function is to go fast.

The amount of disrespect that has been thrown at Dale in this thread has shocked me, he provides the best bodies for pretty much every class of rc racing going.

Rant over flame me!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I doe believe a more realistic body is more attractive for the spectators. And beside that, what is wrong with less grip and/or speed? It brings back more the need finding a good setup and to deal with a handycap all drivers are facing.
any friends I have had come out to watch not once have they ever said....

"man those dont look real"
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

All I have to say is that it is 1/8 scale. As long as I have been racing on-road, 1/8 scale was the fastest drivers going as fast as possible. To me there is nothing like the sound of a 1/8 going through a sweeper full throttle so fast that the engine is bogged down and not traction rolling OVER a 4’ fence. True the bodies don’t look real, but they go real fast!

When I started racing sedans, when the class first was starting, the bodies looked realistic. Now they go a lot faster, due to chassis improvements and more functional bodies, but I don’t think they look as ‘real’ as the first ones.
Now look at the latest class that is trying to get started, the first GT bodies look very realistic, but it won’t be long before they start to change. It’s the nature of this hobby, we want to go as fast or faster as we can and until “someone” says that the bodies have to look a certain way, we are going to get faster bodies that will look not as realistic.

It isn’t the manufacturer‘s fault, they are supplying us what the masses want so they can stay in business. And I for one think Dale has been making great bodies for longer than I have been in the hobby. OK, I’m off my soap box and I am wearing my Nomex underwear so flame away… and yes it is itchy.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
The speed of the cars is more attractive to the spectators than whether or not the bodies look "real". I have attended and participated in tons of r/c races over the years and I have never heard a spectator ask why these car bodies don't mimic real cars. I get asked by passing spectators at races about how fast do they go or told that they can't believe the guys running these cars can handle them like they do at those speeds. Sometimes I get asked about the paint jobs (how they are done, who does them, or that they look cool design-wise) but never about why don't these cars look like a Porsche, Ferrari, or Mclaren.

Now, as far as what is wrong with a little less grip and speed, have you ever run an 8th scale pan car under those conditions? I have and it is not fun. These cars are way more than a handful and hard enough at times to keep them under control. What we don't want is to put marshalls and spectator in danger of a car flying out of control due to bad aerodynamics of a "realistic" body.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Rant over flame me!
+1

Like you, I don't understand why Dale gets slammed like he does on the forums at times. In my conversation with him, he is a really nice gentleman that is trying his best to provide r/c racers the best, aerodynamic bodies that he can design. He takes a lot of time and puts a lot of effort into the designs he creates and if it where not for guys like him, we would be running the hard model plastic bodies that Tamiya use to offer on their earlier kits (before lexan was used), whining about the $50+ we would have to keep spending after smashing up one of those bodies.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

...think there was only one guy slamming.......i appreciate the idea that the bodies keep up technology wise with the current chassis.........Dale does a good job with that........the fast guys will win with the latest body.....or a 10 year old design......i like the new bodies...just not the ULTRA tiny cockpits......might as well just make a huge wedge with huge sidedams if all out speed is the goal....just would be nice if there was a bigger market for more realistic bodies....(for slow hacks like me that like pan cars).....market forces cant be controlled...they are what they are....
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...think there was only one guy slamming.......i appreciate the idea that the bodies keep up technology wise with the current chassis.........Dale does a good job with that........the fast guys will win with the latest body.....or a 10 year old design......i like the new bodies...just not the ULTRA tiny cockpits......might as well just make a huge wedge with huge sidedams if all out speed is the goal....just would be nice if there was a bigger market for more realistic bodies....(for slow hacks like me that like pan cars).....market forces cant be controlled...they are what they are....
A few years ago, there used to be touring car bodies produced for 8th scale pan cars. The market (racers) dictated that better handling and higher speed were wanted, thus that segment of the market completely disappeared. I know that Motonica has an 8th scale touring car body available but I have yet to see one on a car outside of their website. I would love to see a revival of a touring car class with these cars, but that is nothing but a pipe dream....................
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I really dont understand the people that want the bodies to look "realistic". The Audi R18 is not realistic at all, you dont see them drive them on the street by civilians, do you? They are based on a class of race cars on which the only resemblance to a "real" car is the fact that they have 4 tires, and engine and a steering wheel and pedals, thats it. The rest of them is made purely to go as fast as possible, same as out 1/8th cars. What was "real" about the CanAm cars in the 70s? They were moving labs...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I really dont understand the people that want the bodies to look "realistic". The Audi R18 is not realistic at all, you dont see them drive them on the street by civilians, do you? They are based on a class of race cars on which the only resemblance to a "real" car is the fact that they have 4 tires, and engine and a steering wheel and pedals, thats it. The rest of them is made purely to go as fast as possible, same as out 1/8th cars. What was "real" about the CanAm cars in the 70s? They were moving labs...
Funny you say this (which we are in total agreement). I occasionally watch LeMans races when I can. One of the classes that I pay very close attention is the prototype class. And, it is not due to their "realistic" look because you don't see any cars on the road that even remotely resembling them. I like watching them because of their speed and the daredevil attitudes that the drivers of those cars have (doing things and making passes no sane racer would ever try).

Everyone forgets that NASCAR has morphed from using real cars (that you could buy off the showroom floor back from the early days until the 1980s and we called them Stock cars) to a universal body design with realistic stickers of the 1990s and 2000s (a body design that no Ford, Chevy, and eventually Dodge uses in the civilian market; also where can you find a 2-door Impala, Fusion, or Charger?), now morphing to a more realistic-looking car but still not the real thing (with this new Gen 6 design). In all honesty, we watch racing for the thrill of speed and spectacular crashes, not for how real the cars look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.