Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car internals dirty, need to clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Car internals dirty, need to clean

Hi, I run my hpi rtr3 without a body bc its not painted and i lost the pins. I crashed the car into snow and dirt and now its pretty gunky and dirty. WIll i ruin any parts if i put some cleaned fluid or water on a towel and whipe it off? I know some parts started to rust when it hit snow, so i don't want to mess it up.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Best thing to do is take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Then wipe everything down with wd-40 as you put it back together. It's good to learn how the car comes apart/goes together anyhow.

If you don't want to do that, you use a paintbrush, toothbrush, whatever to clean it out. Wipe it down with a rag with wd-40 or some other light oil on it. And stuff gets wrecked most often when running with the body off.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Serpent cleaning putty helps also.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you can get access to an air compressor for a few minutes, this will help get all the muck out of hard to reach places on the chassis.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can go the exspensive route. Nitro Blast / Spray. You can get this at any hobby shop. At least if they are a real shop theyll have this. It can be exspensive and overtime a big hit on the budget if you demand a highly cleaned car.

I have an air compressor and I use an engine cleaning tool which will suck a solution of simple green and alcohol out of a container and blast it over my car. Much like a nitro spray can, except much higher powered and cheap and not bad for the evironment or my lungs.

Heres is the tool that I use. Got it at harbor freight for 8 dollars. You can find many like it at almost any good tool store that has a good selection of air tools and accessories.

Check it out
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Whoa, thanks for all the good ideas. I think i'm going to go with the nitro spray because I don't play with the car much, and I just need to get off the grease and dirt without getting it rusty which water does to it.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

you can use brake cleaner (any auto store)... it's the same shit as that nitro spray but way less money
Old 04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by joemugen
you can use brake cleaner (any auto store)... it's the same shit as that nitro spray but way less money
I thought it was electric motor cleaner? I heard brake cleaner can do some funky stuff to certain things on some cars.

Also the better thing to use than those is denatured alcohol. At least this is what Chris Chianelli reccomends on his shows. But I dont believe anyone sells that in a spray can. So if you want pressure which is essential for removing stuff from all the little hard to reach places.

Then those sound good.