Like Tree1Likes

Spec 1/8 Pan Car .21 no frill's racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Spec 1/8 Pan Car .21 no frill's racing

Anyone out there remember the RC250??

Why doesnt any company still produce a pan style 1/8th onroad nitro car anymore? not a 500.00 kit but one like the RC250 for around 100.00 ?? if we could produce them in usa for so cheap, it would be even cheaper to have them produced in china. not alot of people in line to buy a 600.00 kit to try 1/8 onroad complicated fragile car's we have today.

I see them (rc250) selling for over 200.00 apeice on ebay everytime one come's up for sale most are in really bad shape. needing retored...

I realize nitro onroad isnt the most popular class right now, reason COST

I say to the MFG's of 1/8th scale nitro onroad, bring it back to the low budget racer. RC250 sold for less than 100.00 let's get the class growing again....

anyone else out there thinking the same thing i am?? jesse
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...sic-class.html
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

I already looked at that thread, that is why I started this one.... how many other 1/8th nitro onroad guy's out there would buy a RC250 style of onroad car if it were to be avalible again?

and do you think if there was a "spec" type 2wd 1/8th scale nitro onroad car "similar" to the rc250 priced about the same would be popular and breath alittle life into this class of racing? a affordable 1/8 nitro onroad car.

Im thinking if somone produced this car, put on a race program for them "think bolink legends" there might be some money to be made.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by Teamgimpy72
I already looked at that thread, that is why I started this one.... how many other 1/8th nitro onroad guy's out there would buy a RC250 style of onroad car if it were to be avalible again?

and do you think if there was a "spec" type 2wd 1/8th scale nitro onroad car "similar" to the rc250 priced about the same would be popular and breath alittle life into this class of racing? a affordable 1/8 nitro onroad car.

Im thinking if somone produced this car, put on a race program for them "think bolink legends" there might be some money to be made.
I like your thinking on the 2WD. I'd jump at a car under $350. The one I looked at in Europe was $500 class. I can't see anyone producing one for less than $350 in today's market but if they get it done , I would enter the 2WD pan with a flourish......and smile all the way around the track.

I remember visiting the 'Thorp Raceway' as I knew it about 1978 ish. 2WD in its infancy.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Very Good

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I like your thinking on the 2WD. I'd jump at a car under $350. The one I looked at in Europe was $500 class. I can't see anyone producing one for less than $350 in today's market but if they get it done , I would enter the 2WD pan with a flourish......and smile all the way around the track.

I remember visiting the 'Thorp Raceway' as I knew it about 1978 ish. 2WD in its infancy.
Ok then@!

How about a 1/8th pan you could build up nitro or eletric
You could utilize 1/10 or 1/8 brushless system's in

If i can get enough reply's and interest, i may invest in the material's to produce a limited run of cars.

let me know what you guy's think, im working on a "proto type" and will post pictures soon.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Ok then@!

How about a 1/8th pan you could build up nitro or eletric
You could utilize 1/10 or 1/8 brushless system's in

If i can get enough reply's and interest, i may invest in the material's to produce a limited run of cars.

let me know what you guy's think, im working on a "proto type" and will post pictures soon.
In the 2wd thread, there are a few of us building our own pan cars. Further, if mine works well, I intend to produce some for sale (target price about 350 for a rolling chassis and can use rubber or foam tires.) To my knowledge, there are at least four of us working on prototypes, you'd be number five, and none of us are doing "one-offs," meaning parts can be got from a number of cars to supply parts outside of the few specialty items. (For example, my build has aluminum pan and bulkheads, I'm using the Kyosho GT driveline, and it'll be about as durable as a car can be made.) I also plan to reproduce Delta SuperJ's later in the year as well but with upgrades for todays tech. More than a few of us have thought along the lines you're talking about and we're working on it....
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

hmmmm just what i would need another car
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
In the 2wd thread, there are a few of us building our own pan cars. Further, if mine works well, I intend to produce some for sale (target price about 350 for a rolling chassis and can use rubber or foam tires.) To my knowledge, there are at least four of us working on prototypes, you'd be number five, and none of us are doing "one-offs," meaning parts can be got from a number of cars to supply parts outside of the few specialty items. (For example, my build has aluminum pan and bulkheads, I'm using the Kyosho GT driveline, and it'll be about as durable as a car can be made.) I also plan to reproduce Delta SuperJ's later in the year as well but with upgrades for todays tech. More than a few of us have thought along the lines you're talking about and we're working on it....
I would be interested in the Nitro version only. Using Kyosho parts would be very smart. (I already run Kyosho GT) The Evolva 2peed (sidewinder) starts to intrigue me but a 'spec' 1 speed class would be great.

The $350 price range would be a 'milestone'........above that, the price shuts down the interest as far as I have seen. Our new GT racers are picking up a used, upgraded car for $350 or less.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
basically this is what im wanting to build just one size bigger.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Well...

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I would be interested in the Nitro version only. Using Kyosho parts would be very smart. (I already run Kyosho GT) The Evolva 2peed (sidewinder) starts to intrigue me but a 'spec' 1 speed class would be great.

The $350 price range would be a 'milestone'........above that, the price shuts down the interest as far as I have seen. Our new GT racers are picking up a used, upgraded car for $350 or less.
That's part of the thing...lots of GT's have the same diff and tranny. I know that stuff is durable because my buddy ran his GT all year without one breakdown due to drivetrain. The aluminum I can get pretty cheap, and the hubs are Edam, so they're cheap as well. I'm using the two speed setup, but since we only allow single speed in the Midwest, I just spin off a pinion and either run the 1st gear or lock down the 2nd spur, so I have a LOT of gear options available. I've set mine up to run rubber or foam tires, so I can race it on the track or putter in any parking lot without eating up expensive foam. I also wanted to go this route because there may be some guys in GT that want to run pan...if and when I get to making cars, I could sell a very basic rolling pan very cheaply and someone cannibalise their GT to complete the kit, or shop online for a better deal on parts. And I'm really not looking to make money off the deal so I'll be selling at cost or a little more. But with solid aluminum front axle, aluminum front and rear bulkheads, aluminum pan...the only plastic in the thing will be the fuel tank and outer hubs. Too many manufacturers, while they do have a bunch of interchangeable parts, are still different enough that you can't always use one thing off one car onto another, and I'm shooting for max interchange.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

basically this is what im wanting to build just one size bigger.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...lorm/pan13.jpg
ask..and ye shall receive......LOL
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

looks good!! im working on getting somthing together worthy of a picture i will post pics soon..
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

@Gimpy,
I still have an RC10L wide car with the TRC conversion from about 15 years or so ago. I MAY have a narrow car as well. A friend of mine, whose name on this site is AARcobra, has been working on something much more closely related to the RC250. NO rear suspension, etc. There is a guy on here as well who has been working on a 1/8th scale electric car. I'll track him down and point him in this direction. He has the ability to cut and mill carbon fiber and seems to have a supply of carbon fiber sheet as well.
Due to the expensive kits for 1/8th (a la BMT, Serpent, etc) and the expensive .21 engines (friend spent $500 almost 20 years ago on a JP Racing engine), and how much room needed to run them, I would like to see .12 powered cars. It would be great if they were direct drive, like your pic. It would also be great if they could use common parts, like RC10GT, etc. Just my $0.02 worth.

Scott
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NutDriver
@Gimpy,
I still have an RC10L wide car with the TRC conversion from about 15 years or so ago. I MAY have a narrow car as well. A friend of mine, whose name on this site is AARcobra, has been working on something much more closely related to the RC250. NO rear suspension, etc. There is a guy on here as well who has been working on a 1/8th scale electric car. I'll track him down and point him in this direction. He has the ability to cut and mill carbon fiber and seems to have a supply of carbon fiber sheet as well.
Due to the expensive kits for 1/8th (a la BMT, Serpent, etc) and the expensive .21 engines (friend spent $500 almost 20 years ago on a JP Racing engine), and how much room needed to run them, I would like to see .12 powered cars. It would be great if they were direct drive, like your pic. It would also be great if they could use common parts, like RC10GT, etc. Just my $0.02 worth.

Scott

im thinking a "old school" or "Vintage" only class might be the way to go.. just introducing it to the pubic to attract more attention to the class will bring money back into the sport.

these are a few im displaying at a local business to bring attention to the sport in my area.

Last edited by Teamgimpy72; 02-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

@Gimpy,
Love the old cars...had a number of BMT's myself. Wish we had the interest and a place to run these around here.

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.