Wiki Posts
Search

Who's heard of "Power Racing" 1/8 RTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Who's heard of "Power Racing" 1/8 RTR

I'm 99.9% convinced to buy this new 1/8 scale RTR on road racer.(I can get it under $400) It seems like a steal for an 1/8 scale car. My question is, does anyone out there have one, and would you buy it again? I'm only gonna race it at local club events, nothing spectacular, so I don't need a $500 chassis to win. Thoughts, suggestions, or at the very least...rumors?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Power Racing Products came out wit the XR8. I think it's a good car for the price to start racing 8th scales. They have great customer service. Always start out slow when beginning because these cars are ballistic!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Cool, thanks. I've been running 1/10 nitro for over a year now. About 6 months ago I got into electric touring, and recently the race director wanted us to try putting together an 1/8 scale class. He's offering these things at a great price, I just wanted some feedback...
Old 04-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't know much about this particular car, might not be a bad deal though provided you can get parts for it easily and for a reasonable price. You want to be able to get the basic parts for it such as suspension arms and gears and stuff like that, also make sure you can get mounted tires for it or see if any other car brand's mounted foam tires will work on it. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Ffejdat
I don't know much about this particular car, might not be a bad deal though provided you can get parts for it easily and for a reasonable price. You want to be able to get the basic parts for it such as suspension arms and gears and stuff like that, also make sure you can get mounted tires for it or see if any other car brand's mounted foam tires will work on it. GOOD LUCK!
The Serpent tires will fit this car. Go to www.happytimehobby.com for the parts.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default xr8

you maybe able to run it at you local track, but if you ever plan to run it at a roar sactioned race you will have to change the motor to a .21
Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would buy the kit and not the rtr. it is better you prob. already have a radio .just get some ok servos and a basic motor
Old 04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

yes i would agree the kit is a much better car then the ready to run just take a look at the specs. if you want to rip up the parking lot get the rtr but if you plan on doing any competitive racing you deffinetly want the kit Peter
Old 04-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

I bought one...and I'm moderatly pleased so far. Most of the car is sound, but I do have a few complaints. The body that comes with it is crap, it's going in the trash. Whoever cut it to fit was either blind or in too big a hurry. The suspension settings were all Way Off. In fact, I had to take the rear end apart just so I could get to the droop setting.(they were so far in I couldn't get a Ball tiped hex wrench in there.) The wires on the starter that comes with it are backwards. The starter is basically a converted airplane starter, hand held, not bad at all. It's kinda like that other system, with the one way bearing and shaft sticking out from the back of the engine block. I basically had to reverse the wires on the 12v battery to get it to turn the motor in the correct direction.

I started breaking in the motor last night, but I ran out of daylight and time(this thing is too loud, I didn't want to piss off the neibors too badly). When I say loud, I'm comparing it to my other nitro cars, wich have all been 1/10 scale. It's louder than any of my airplnes have been as well(even with the prop). It just about fired right up, and seems to be breaking in nicely.

I haven't driven it yet, I'll give a full report. Overall, not bad, my few complaints are about things that are easily corrected, and I still would've bought it knowing what I do now. The body was useless to me anyway, I'm getting a Lola...
Old 04-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you don't have one already, get some sort of failsafe system ( mechanical or electrical ). Because of the speeds of 1/8th scale nitro cars, this will help you if you run into any kind of issues. I like using a mechnical failsafe system. Its cheaper and it does the same job as a electrical failsafe system. Mechnical failsafe examples: small rubberband around the throttle linkage attached to your carburator or team associated spring linkage failsafe. This is used on their RC10GT's and these run around $3 bucks or so. Also, if you have a FM radio, I would use that because you really don't want to loose your radio signal driving these 1/8th on-road cars.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

These are among my first mods I intend to do. I already have a nice synthesized FM radio going in it, as well as a high torque and speed steering servo. I'm gonna use an electronic failsafe, because I'm well aware of what can happen. I have a bent and twisted stock R40 chassis for show and tell...

Thanks for all the suggestions, fortunatly, I have enough experience to know what to look out for. I was just hoping for some other owners to chime in with their own reports.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Well, I drove it, for like 2 minutes. This AM radio needs to come out. I'm getting a failsafe this afternoon. My foot is pretty sore from trying to stop it(wearing sandels...yes, brilliant, I know). We tried to run it around in the parking lot, to continue the break in process. I had been scooting around a bit, just blipping the throttle. I had it pointed in our general direction, when I punched it once. The throttle hung and I stopped it with my foot(never got much over 20mph). Didn't even break the skin on my foot, but the head and one of the body mounts got scraped up when it flipped over, no biggy. Track testing begins tomorrow, I may even have the new body painted and ready.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Look you are already getting rid of the radio.soon the motor will not be good enough and then the car wont be and then you will be selling it so you can get the Delta xp4, and you prob. thought it would be best to get the cheap rtr so you could save some money.than you will have a new car and the rtr. boy it just doesnt end this crap is $$$$$$$$$$.good luck with it,prob ok for bashing in a parking lot
Old 04-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Champion

Well, I got some good wheel time on it today, with the FM radio. Much better, I actually got to wind it out a bit. I still haven't seen 80mph, but I have no doubt it'll do it. I've still got it pretty rich for break in, a few more tanks and I'll have it tuned up. So far I like it, plenty of speed, and fairly stable. This locked rear diff is weird getting used to. I feel like there's alot more speed in it, as if intended to be really pushed around corners. It'll spin out on power, opposite of my Pro-4. Makes getting it around our tight track tough, and I have to basically reverse my throttle technique. In a 1/10 electric tourer, there's plenty of room in the lanes, even with 8-10 cars in the race. I'm not sure how several of theses 1/8 scale beasts will fit during a race... Now I want to go to a huge track, with high speed corners.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Suspended

where are the pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.