Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Billy Bowerman Any Rc Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mr. Bowerman, how tight does the receptacle has to be when we insert the axle? Should we use lube? And which kind?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Why did Matt & STLINLST teams lose this weekend? Did you put the hakin juju curse on them..
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YLLIB
Hello Wingracer, you have a very unusual question on the torque bands and how to change them. They are easy to change but also I will help you pick the brand and style so you do not have to change them on a regular basis. Once you purchase the correct brand and band you will not have to change them unless they get tighter again. I might be thinking a little off base but I will answer your question the best of my knowledge and being a very observant Doctor even when I am at the races. I think I have only seen you a few times at some of the races when you have stood in front of me waiting to go up the driver stand and walking up the drivers stand to race or practice. I did observe that I thought that this guy is very excited about racing, you were moving around a lot in one spot and when it was time to walk up the drivers stand your movements were real jerky and you were walking extremely quick to the stand so I did realize that your torque bands did needed to be changed. If the band fits to tight, it can stop the blood flow and will result in numinous and wear out quicker. So I realize now you had to move around to keep the blood flowing, it was the discomfort and you just wanted to go practice on the track and go back to the pits and sit down and give yourself some sort of relief..
To answer your question, changing them is very easy. First you will need to change the ones you use now and buy a different band style. The ones you are using currently do not fit you properly. This is usually from weight gain from eating not so healthy foods at the races for 4 and 5 days at a time, especially if you race and travel a lot with this r/c hobby. To start take one leg crank out at a time and put one leg crank in at a time, that’s it, there changed. It’s the tension that makes all the difference. Torque band brands are very difficult to buy until you put them on correctly the first time. First try not to wear the elastic bands too firmly around your leg crank if that is what you like to wear. I personally think that if you went and purchased some Thong Torque Bands where there is no elastic band around your leg crank you would be happier and feeling better. I think have the elastic going up between your two torque cheeks the band will find the center and fit smoother without any discomfort especially in the heat. But keep in mind do not have the torque band too tight between your torque cheeks when standing or it could hurt and tighten up when sitting down and cause problems. I would go to Victoria Secrets and find pure cotton Torque bands, no elastic.

Thank you for your question
Dr. Silver Fox
I'd just like to add that any custom fit torque band should be protected by suitable outer bands. Failure to do this may lead to unnecessary exposure and you may be required to report to race control for scrutineering and possible adjustments. Racing with a poorly fitted torque band and inappropriate outer bands have been known to cause injury to other racers, women, children and small furry animals.

Kind regards,

Simon
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Wow........I hope you guys have a 55 gallon drum of 'rotor wash' for the cleanup...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Oh wise one....what is a henway on my car?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello future patient, Dr. Silver Fox will be out of the office for 12hrs. I can answer one more question before leaving. I appreciate all the question and concerns. I have a hearing today concerning my Doctors license being revoked. I will get back with your questions shortly, if I am allowed.

Thank you
Dr. Silver Fox

Last edited by YLLIB; 01-07-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Mr. Bowerman, how tight does the receptacle has to be when we insert the axle? Should we use lube? And which kind?
A receptacle box can be tricky when holding, it usually takes two people to help, but a third party sometimes can be used only if you are doing more than 1 axle shaft at a time. Inserting the axle can also cause problems and the lube is a must, you can use your own lube whenever you like and it can save you money. Some lubes are better than others, which will be up to you; you will be the one that feels the friction when the axle is inserted.

First the receptacle box as to have which I prefer .5 gap. If it’s any tighter, the heat from the axle can cause the balls to tighten up on your axle and not spin freely. So pick the right box if you’re not using your own. Look around at the track there are different shapes and sizes receptacle boxes. Also, make sure it is a new axle you are installing or you would be wasting your time and can be harmful to you or others. To make this easier if you’re at a race changing this part and you’re running out of time, have a friend or a racer sitting next to you to help you out, it might not be the right receptacle box you like to use but it will work for a qualifier. First take some calipers and measure the girth of the shaft of the axle to make sure it is the right part you’re inserting, measure in three places, the tip, the middle and the closest to the connecting end to your body shaft. Do not measure the thread tip side that will be smaller because this is where you screw your nuts on the wheels. If this is the correct part then have someone just to be safe hold your box, have the person holding your receptacle box firmly when inserting the axle. Remember, you need to relax while the person helping you will be inserting the axle shaft. Remember relax or this can hurt your receptacle box and cause the axle shaft to bind while inserting. You might need a third party to help if this happens. Don’t forget the lube, there is a very good lube on the market called BANANA lube, it has been around for years and works extremely well. It will help insert the axle and will cause less friction than other lube on the market, be careful with this lube because it is high grade pharmasuiticle oil and the person helping you might not realize the axle shaft is not in right away and he might push too hard and that is where you might move and cause the damage.

Dr. Silver Fox
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

A receptacle box can be tricky when holding, it usually takes two people to help, but a third party sometimes can be used only if you are doing more than 1 axle shaft at a time. Inserting the axle can also cause problems and the lube is a must, you can use your own lube whenever you like and it can save you money. Some lubes are better than others, which will be up to you; you will be the one that feels the friction when the axle is inserted.

First the receptacle box as to have which I prefer .5 gap. If it’s any tighter, the heat from the axle can cause the balls to tighten up on your axle and not spin freely. So pick the right box if you’re not using your own. Look around at the track there are different shapes and sizes receptacle boxes. Also, make sure it is a new axle you are installing or you would be wasting your time and can be harmful to you or others. To make this easier if you’re at a race changing this part and you’re running out of time, have a friend or a racer sitting next to you to help you out, it might not be the right receptacle box you like to use but it will work for a qualifier. First take some calipers and measure the girth of the shaft of the axle to make sure it is the right part you’re inserting, measure in three places, the tip, the middle and the closest to the connecting end to your body shaft. Do not measure the thread tip side that will be smaller because this is where you screw your nuts on the wheels. If this is the correct part then have someone just to be safe hold your box, have the person holding your receptacle box firmly when inserting the axle. Remember, you need to relax while the person helping you will be inserting the axle shaft. Remember relax or this can hurt your receptacle box and cause the axle shaft to bind while inserting. You might need a third party to help if this happens. Don’t forget the lube, there is a very good lube on the market called BANANA lube, it has been around for years and works extremely well. It will help insert the axle and will cause less friction than other lube on the market, be careful with this lube because it is high grade pharmasuiticle oil and the person helping you might not realize the axle shaft is not in right away and he might push too hard and that is where you might move and cause the damage.

Dr. Silver Fox
OK, you dudes are up to 2 55 gallon drums of rotor wash to complete the Dr.'s prescribed remedy.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team STPN
Oh wise one....what is a henway on my car?
Mr. STPN, First of all I have never seen your r/c car you are talking about or watched you race that I can remember. I live in the West Coast and announce most every race in that area on weekends when I am not being a Doctor. Your performance must be very terrible because I just can remember you and I am sorry. I really cannot answer your question as clearly as I would like or able to subscribe the proper diagnosis or medication to you, but I am willing to help and give advice to you.

I did some research on you just in case I needed to refresh my memory. I have looked up your name and some race results in the past several years and have NOT seen your name on any list of the races that sportsman racers go to and participate in. Being a highly qualified Doctor that I am, I did more research on you and the races in the West Coast where you live and finally found your name a few times. I do notice that you have only raced 2 or 3 times in the last several years and also have noticed that you give a ton of advice about racing and set-ups on forums. My question is, are you a qualified sociologist or you just think you are a mentor too people you are giving advice to? Please be careful, you’re inviting yourself to a law suit. I feel that you’re a joke to the r/c racing community and you should stop giving advice imminently before someone gets hurt. You have NO experience or knowledge in the r/c world or have any client’s to proof that you have helped then in anyway moving up to the next level. My only advice that I can give you is focus on your real job, cutting up 3 or 4 pound chickens at that burrito place you manage. (Great food I may say) But until you can race more and prove that you are dedicated to the r/c racing world and have the qualifications to back any of your advice up, you must stop giving advice. Also I went to speedworldraceway.com under IGT topic and did see those henway stickers on your car, take them off and you will go faster.

Thank you for trying to disrupt this topic and trying to dis-prove my credibility as a license Doctor. Please feel free to ask about any r/c related question, but please do not waste my time try to answer some funky asinine word that is on your car.

Dr Silver Fox

Last edited by YLLIB; 01-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Mr. STPN, First of all I have never seen your r/c car you are talking about or watched you race that I can remember. I live in the West Coast and announce most every race in that area on weekends when I am not being a Doctor. Your performance must be very terrible because I just can remember you and I am sorry. I really cannot answer your question as clearly as I would like or able to subscribe the proper diagnosis or medication to you, but I am will to help and give advice to you.

I did some research on you just in case I needed to refresh my memory. I have looked up your name and some race results in the past several years and have NOT seen your name on any list of the races that sportsman racers go to and participate in. Being a highly qualified Doctor that I am, I did more research on you and the races in the West Coast where you live and finally found your name a few times. I do notice that you have only raced 2 or 3 times in the last several years and also have noticed that you give a ton of advice about racing and set-ups on forums. My question is, are you a qualified sociologist or you just think you are a mentor too people you are giving advice to? Please be careful, you’re inviting yourself to a law suit. I eel that you’re a joke to the r/c racing community and you should stop giving advice imminently before someone gets hurt. You have NO experience or knowledge in the r/c world or have any client’s to proof that you have helped then in anyway moving up to the next level. My only advice that I can give you is focus on your real job, cutting up 3 or 4 pound chickens at that burrito place you manage. (Great food I may say) But until you can race more and prove that you are dedicated to the r/c racing world and have the qualifications to back any of your advice up, you must stop giving advice. Also I went to speedworldraceway.com under IGT topic and did see those henway stickers on your car, take them off and you will go faster.

Thank you for trying to disrupt this topic and trying to dis-prove my credibility as a license Doctor. Please feel free to ask about any r/c related question, but please do not waste my time try to answer some funky asinine word that is on your car.

Dr Silver Fox
Nice...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Dr. Silver Fox
you have to be careful with axles as they can turn on you & get logged in your shaft
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
you have to be careful with axles as they can turn on you & get logged in your shaft

I think the most important question to Dr. Silver Fox is how he fix the nut behind the wheel
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Doc,Can I get a date with your head nurse!? I see you are spending way too much time here giving out solid advice.....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

LMAO...this is funny . See you at the Winternats Billy and Doug
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by C.Smith
Hey Doc,Can I get a date with your head nurse!? I see you are spending way too much time here giving out solid advice.....
I want a date too, I've seen her in action she has great hands and is quick too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.