Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #766
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emancipation007 View Post
Anybody use this starter box if not which one do you use
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A2HUFQYBB8LM3
Take a peek at the Xceed box - wheel is small enough to provide good contact with the flywheel through the fairly small opening in the chassis plate - used one for two seasons and my only complaint is the friction wheel material is a little soft so it needs replacing periodically.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #767
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I too use the Xceed box (I had the mugen purple box previously which was good too). Personally haven't found the wheel overly soft or wear out quickly at all. 2 seasons on mine and on original wheel. Pre-warming your engine goes along way in making the start kinder to the box.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #768
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Take a peek at the Xceed box - wheel is small enough to provide good contact with the flywheel through the fairly small opening in the chassis plate - used one for two seasons and my only complaint is the friction wheel material is a little soft so it needs replacing periodically.
+1

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #769
Tech Apprentice

Default screw chart

I bought my 977 from absolute hobbies this past week .I recieved it and there was no screw chart in the kit .Usally kits come with screw charts and are used to measure each screw to make sure you are using the right screw .Is this an error on serpent part or is this normal.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #770
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by emancipation007 View Post
I bought my 977 from absolute hobbies this past week .I recieved it and there was no screw chart in the kit .Usally kits come with screw charts and are used to measure each screw to make sure you are using the right screw .Is this an error on serpent part or is this normal.
The kit doesn't have a screw chart normally. I just use a measuring tool to make sure i use the right screw
Spillertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #771
Tech Apprentice

Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #772
Tech Regular

I just started racing 1/8 scale at the end of last season and was wondering what is the smallest tire size you would go for qualifying? Thanks in advance
quinnfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #773
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
I noticed the manual shows that the steering servo arm should be at a slight angle towards the front of the car, wouldn't this cause steering geometry to unbalanced speed/torque between right and left?

Everything is at 90 degrees except the steering servo arm.. I've seen other cars that had slight angles on the steering servo arms but that angle would match the angle the arm connected to, which on the 977, doesn't seem to be the case. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? just adjust my epas, subtrim and be done with it?
I was just going through this thread and found this. I know it's late response but just wanted to give my thought since I wondered the same.
IMO it's because of the arm hitting the tank if you make the center perpendicular to the chassis. So by making the center face a bit forward, you'd have enough EPA to both directions.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #774
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
I was just going through this thread and found this. I know it's late response but just wanted to give my thought since I wondered the same.
IMO it's because of the arm hitting the tank if you make the center perpendicular to the chassis. So by making the center face a bit forward, you'd have enough EPA to both directions.
Nope.

I will try to explain.
In order to have the same steering characteristics left and right, it is important that in the centre position the servo lever is in a 90 degree angle with the steering linkage.
Just take a look at the car and you will see that this can only be achieved with the servo lever angled forward.
The servo lever travels in a circular movement, and if you just imagine the path the lever travels, you should be able to understand why the lever is under an angle.

Ehh, Dan already explained......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
It's more simple than that!! The servo horn is not 90 degrees to the servo but it is 90 degrees to the servo saver arm. It's as designed and as far as I know the same on all similar designs on the market.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #775
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Nope.

I will try to explain.
In order to have the same steering characteristics left and right, it is important that in the centre position the servo lever is in a 90 degree angle with the steering linkage.
Just take a look at the car and you will see that this can only be achieved with the servo lever angled forward.
The servo lever travels in a circular movement, and if you just imagine the path the lever travels, you should be able to understand why the lever is under an angle.

Ehh, Dan already explained......
Yeah you're right. I looked at the car and it makes sense. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #776
Tech Rookie

I bought a 977 and I've 2 questions and I hope someone can help me.
1) In the Instruction manual is not written the preload of the Servo saver spring
Instructions manual: step 31/32. Strange that Serpent forgot the specify the spring preload...

2) I downloaded the shock spring chart. Serpent use the LB and not mm as other brand. I always used the mm and know I'm pretty confused.
Do you know the mm of each spring? p.e. Mugen basically have White spring 1.9mm

Thanks in advance for your help
snakess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #777
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakess View Post
1) In the Instruction manual is not written the preload of the Servo saver spring
Instructions manual: step 31/32. Strange that Serpent forgot the specify the spring preload...

2) I downloaded the shock spring chart. Serpent use the LB and not mm as other brand. I always used the mm and know I'm pretty confused.

Pre load is driver preference.
Just buy the Serpent springs and you wont have a problem. The size of the wire doesnt matter, just get the springs you need. If you need softer than the kit, get softer and if you need harder get harder.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #778
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakess View Post

the serpent website has a little more info on:
http://www.serpent.com/product/160330/

the lb rating is a stiffness in lbs/inch. this is a more useful specification than just the wire diameter that Mugen provides. (they have more than 1 spring set in 1.9mm thick wire, as more coils reduces the spring rate).

spring rate for a coil spring: http://www.bluecoilspring.com/rate.htm )

K ( lbs/inch) = G*d^4/(8*N*D^3)

where:
G = 12E+6 (modulus of rigidity, 12 million psi for steel)
d is the wire diameter (mugen's 1.9mm or 0.0748")
N is number of coils
D is spring coil diameter (outside diameter of coil minus 1 wire diameter)

for mugen whites, I get about 15.2mm mean diameter, and 4,5 coils for the front, rear. this works out to roughly 56. and 45. lbs/inch.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #779
Tech Elite

+1

You shouldn't really go by coil wire diameter when deciding if one spring is stronger or weaker then another.
Some company's do that as a way of trying to keep you to their brand of springs.
As has been said a Mugan 1.9mm spring could have a totally different spring strength then say Kyosho 1.9mm (Just an example.)

Using lb/inch is a great deal easier and flexible to use although I would still check each spring on a tester if you have access to one.

Regards
BM
Old 04-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #780
Tech Rookie

What about the servo saver spring? Every brand specify how much is the preload of the servo saver spring. Preload is preference... ok, but Serpent must to specify a basic measure or not?
snakess is offline   Reply With Quote