R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #691
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to CivicTuning

Hi everyone !

I hope this hasn't been asked yes, but what do you think of the carbon chassis voor the 977 ?

Is it worth it ?

http://www.redrc.net/2014/08/serpent...e-chassis-set/

Thanks !

Greetz,
Christoph
CivicTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yeah there is a little 'extras' bag in the kit which has a couple screws etc and an extra ball cup is in there. Can't remember what main bag it's in though - might be the radio tray parts bag I think.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #693
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicTuning View Post
Hi everyone !

I hope this hasn't been asked yes, but what do you think of the carbon chassis voor the 977 ?

Is it worth it ?

http://www.redrc.net/2014/08/serpent...e-chassis-set/

Thanks !

Greetz,
Christoph

OH MY
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #694
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
HUH? the pcs i made replace the shocks so if anything is damaged then the shocks setting will be off anyway and that included chassis balancing. they simply replace the shocks and do not connect to the chassis except for on the shock tower. if you set your droop on a tweaked chassis on the arms it will be worse than if you set it with my balancer because the further you go away from the centerline the worse the tweak will be . Maybe you didnt look at the pic closely, they do not touch the body mount, that wouldnt make any sense?? BTW it doesnt matter where you set the droop as long as its the same point on both sides. .7mm really isnt that much especially considering the tires change in a race from 3-5mm, which in effect changes your droop settings, ever scale your car after a race? If what you say is true then why bother measuring shock lengths? You cant tell me that sliding a piece of metal under a flexible arm and "eyeballing it" is more accurate than a true measurement from center to center. thats like saying a slide rule is more accurate than a pair of Mitutoyo calipers!!
Great Thanks. I didn't know who I was speaking with!!
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #695
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Yeah there is a little 'extras' bag in the kit which has a couple screws etc and an extra ball cup is in there. Can't remember what main bag it's in though - might be the radio tray parts bag I think.
well, looked but no tie rod ends in kit.

was hoping maybe another manufacturer uses the same type parts that are orderable.

just ordered some Associated Servo Link Rod ends, look similar so hopefully they will fit. will post the outcome.

Last edited by jkviper; 08-06-2014 at 07:25 PM.
jkviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 AM   #696
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Serpent New Product
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent 977 Viper-ser-903614.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #697
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Got to say, that option chassis is the most expensive option I have ever seen, looks epic though...

And, I spent some of today fitting servos and receiver etc on my recently acquired 977, it's really nicely designed, Mugen I think set a standard with receiver box design etc, but the Serpent has gone so much further now with the layout, the radio box design and servo wire running is fantastic.

Only thing I'm still working out is how to run the battery wire across, got to make up some custom cables for the battery, and plug into the radio box.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #698
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
OH MY
Almost here.
desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #699
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
966 camber link ball joints work. They are a bit bigger on outer diameter so if u want to put that on inner side of steering link u would have to grind it a bit but it fits well.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Looks like the serpent part numbers are back in stock so just ordered some.
jkviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #700
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Got to say, that option chassis is the most expensive option I have ever seen, looks epic though...

And, I spent some of today fitting servos and receiver etc on my recently acquired 977, it's really nicely designed, Mugen I think set a standard with receiver box design etc, but the Serpent has gone so much further now with the layout, the radio box design and servo wire running is fantastic.

Only thing I'm still working out is how to run the battery wire across, got to make up some custom cables for the battery, and plug into the radio box.
By the time I received my 977 Paulie B had the wire deal figured out - running it along the radio box and over the tank in the gap at the front - just chamfer the bottom corners of the tray so it will not cut the wires , have not had any issues with this path.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #701
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post

Serpent has a tech tip on their website to help with the wiring. It can be found here http://www.serpent.com/news/13657/Te...tery-lead.html

I've personally found that only Airtronics/Sanwa plugs fit properly in the 977's battery connection retainer.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #702
Tech Adept

Hi guys. Did you ever check the weight bias of the Viper left to right? Seems to have quite a difference, with the muffler side more heavy...
I wanted to install new electronics, going to low profile servos to save some grams, but I'm now thinking things could get worse
Flygio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #703
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygio View Post
Hi guys. Did you ever check the weight bias of the Viper left to right? Seems to have quite a difference, with the muffler side more heavy...
I wanted to install new electronics, going to low profile servos to save some grams, but I'm now thinking things could get worse
Low profiles are no where near powerful enough for an 1/8th Onroad car in my opinion. Most only have around 6-9 kg holding torque which won't cut it. Low profiles are designed for light electric touring cars. If you want to save weight on the electronics then go for titanium geared standard size servos. My 977 is pretty balanced L/R running Sanwa ERS-962 servos and a xceed rx lipo.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #704
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Low profiles are no where near powerful enough for an 1/8th Onroad car in my opinion. Most only have around 6-9 kg holding torque which won't cut it. Low profiles are designed for light electric touring cars. If you want to save weight on the electronics then go for titanium geared standard size servos. My 977 is pretty balanced L/R running Sanwa ERS-962 servos and a xceed rx lipo.
I run sanwa bls and LiFe, still a lot more weight on the left side...
Flygio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #705
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygio View Post
I run sanwa bls and LiFe, still a lot more weight on the left side...
Doesn't make much sense to me. What is the difference in l/r weight that your seeing? Sanwa BLS are low profile servos with only 7kg torque I can't personally believe that you get enough brakes or steering hold performance with those servos! I'm using standard size servos and I'm in balance.