Originally Posted by Jezuz01
Is the cen CTR 5.0 any good. I can pay about a grand.For a rc car.
It would be a lot easier if you tell us what you want to do with your model, where you want to run it and how long you expect it to last.
Here are a few things to consider.
- Top speed is governed by gearing, so don't read everything stated in the specs
- Acceleration gives one a sense of speed, this puts a lot of load on your components.
- Transmission is the key, getting a lot of power through it to the ground is where things begin to fall apart.
- You need a good clutch to handle the power.
- The environment you run in is important. 4-7mm ride height on a street isnt enough and one small stone will launch your car into the air and it's going to break.
- A lot of maintenance is required at these speeds, there's no such thing as a car you run, shelf and run again with little maintenace, that's why Electric cars are the most popular.
- You can buy the fastest engine on the market and if you dont take car of it, it will fail.
I recommend a LIGHT 1:8 chassis, with quality bearings, servos, engine and pipe, most likely a GT car. There's more room to work on it and in larger scales components can and are a little more robust and will last longer. They can be configured for more suspension travel to clear the ground and have a two speed transmission to get you to the top speed.
You need to allocate some funds aside for tools, and but a car with HEX head screws rather than courser threads on philips head wood screws. This allows for regular maintenance without stripping bulkheads.
There are many guys here with lots of experience in the GT scene that can advise you in more detail as to which way to go.
I have a 1:10 V10 Sheperd + Novarossi 353 here that will smoke the competition in a car park, but its a race car and it would be bad advise to run it in a car park.
Also, please take into consideration then danger factor, even at 1:10, 1.7kg at 100Km per hour can and will do a lot of damage if you hit someone with it.
Please consider at which point you are in charge of a fast car that you can enjoy and when you are in control of a weapon!