Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Gearing question >

Gearing question

Gearing question

Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Gearing question

hey guys,

i just installed brand new sour gears and pinion gears. on the first run after on straight i burned out my first gear.

i have good meshing and it seemed all good-
my ration are 54T/21T(1st) 50T/27T(2nd) this is what Team associated recommends on their FT version. is my second gear pinion to big and not allowing maximum gear mesh for the first gear ? what is everyone's experience with this kind of situation.

Thanks in Advance
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

• Use the following combination of pinion and spur
gears in the 2 speed to maintain the correct gear mesh.
20/24 with 52/48
21/25 with 52/48
22/26 with 52/48
23/27 with 52/48

sometimes you have to loosen the engine mount as well to cock the engine at a angle to get correct mesh on both gears usually 1 tooth diference can work or make sure you have the same amount of teeth per gear total 54+21=75 first 50+27=77 2nd bad mesh 49+26=75 2nd good mesh
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by azeroth
• Use the following combination of pinion and spur
gears in the 2 speed to maintain the correct gear mesh.
20/24 with 52/48
21/25 with 52/48
22/26 with 52/48
23/27 with 52/48

sometimes you have to loosen the engine mount as well to cock the engine at a angle to get correct mesh on both gears usually 1 tooth diference can work or make sure you have the same amount of teeth per gear total 54+21=75 first 50+27=77 2nd bad mesh 49+26=75 2nd good mesh
If they are module based gears the diameters of the spur/pinion are the same, the pitch of the teeth change.

I'd check the one-way bearing as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
hey guys,

i just installed brand new sour gears and pinion gears. on the first run after on straight i burned out my first gear.

i have good meshing and it seemed all good-
my ration are 54T/21T(1st) 50T/27T(2nd) this is what Team associated recommends on their FT version. is my second gear pinion to big and not allowing maximum gear mesh for the first gear ? what is everyone's experience with this kind of situation.

Thanks in Advance
With nitro touring, we use a module based gear system that maintains the diameter of the gears. The diameter "split" between 1st and 2nd spur should equal the diameter split of the 1st and 2nd pinion. If that's ok you should mesh well and best look for other causes as to why you are stripping. For a long time we drove with a cracked engine mount that would only flex when under load so we didnt know why we were stripping gears.

A good tip a Kiwi buddy taught me was to remove 1st Spur and mesh to 2nd gear so u can see the mesh and ensure correct alignment of the engine. Then drop first gear into place on the lay shaft and it should mesh perfectly.

If your one-way is slipping it could cause the transmission to bite and strip as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

unfortunately the ntc3 is a shaft drive buggy style chassis the shaft support bearing should be checked as well along with oneways and bell bearings but to run those pinion sizes you would need a 48t spur for second