R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Old Kyosho Racing series????

Hey guys. I have been away from the hobby for a few years and I just got back into it. I remember back in the day(late 90s) Kyosho had a racing series that had national events and then a world final in Japan. It was really cool, you had to have a 2 driver team with driver changes and everything. Just wondering if anyone knows what chassis was used for this series and what it was called. I can't for the life of me remeber what the event was called. Why did they stop it? When did they stop?

Any info would be great.

Thanks guys

Drewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

That event was the Kyosho World Cup. It started out with the old Kyosho GP Spider cars with "vintage" bodies only, like Cobras, Ferrari Coupes, GT40's, etc. I think a Japanese team won that first world championship in 1997 in the Philippines with a Lotus Europa body that no one could get. The A-main for each event was 1 hour long with two drivers...a real challenge.

In 1998 the final was held in Japan, 1999 was Hawaii, 2000 was Dubai UAE, I believe.

Later on, the Spider Mk.II with the much more reliable GS11R engine came out, and you could use any body you wanted as long as it was from Kyosho. Of course, all the cars had to have Kyosho parts too.

I think the series died out in the US in 2000 or 2001. I raced the qualifying events 4 or 5 times and finished second twice (argh!). I know there were qualifying races elsewhere around the world after 2000, but for some reason it didn't get supported here anymore. I have to say it was a lot of fun, and I miss it now.
RCFIA.com - Northern California Formula 1 Racing
wagnerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I always wanted to race in it when it was around but never could find another driver to enter with me. I am kind of mad it is gone. That was something that I always wanted to do. Now that I have the time and money the series is no longer around. That figures.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Drewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I went to a few of the qualifying races myself, with the spider and then the MKII. It was a blast wish they still had it here too. They stopped running it here the year the VoneS came out. You will probably find people on here that are still running in it, just not in the US
3434 is offline   Reply With Quote