Mugen MTX-4

Old 02-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

MTX 3 and MTX 4 springs are the same. The MTX3 prospec has different springs, but they are interchangeable.

As was said earlier, the shock bodies are different. The MTX4 rear shock shaft is the same as the MTX3 front and rear shock shaft.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

It has been over 3 months after mtx4 released world wide ...... what parts did you break often ? what you don't like ? and what can be improve for mtx4 prospec ?

Okay.... me first. I hate the steering upright. Sometimes it broke at the L section after serious impact. Sometimes the steering upright come out from the pivot ball ( lolli pop ).
Old 02-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

in my oppinion, the front uprights, the front shock tower carbon and the rear shock tower carbon are in need of improvement. other than that, I don't have any problems.

In areas of improvement, the rear end could use a slight overhaul
Old 02-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
It has been over 3 months after mtx4 released world wide ...... what parts did you break often ? what you don't like ? and what can be improve for mtx4 prospec ?

Okay.... me first. I hate the steering upright. Sometimes it broke at the L section after serious impact. Sometimes the steering upright come out from the pivot ball ( lolli pop ).
Regarding breaking front uprights... are the same as the ones from the MTX3 and in the almost 4 years I've used those uprights, probably I've broked 4, for me (IMHO) the uprights are fine and doesn't need to be updated or revised.

The latter scares me a lot... how in the world you can get the pivot ball dislodged from the steering upright if the pivot ball goes attached to the A-arm thru the the hole of the upright? Have you dremeled the opening of the uprights? if this is the case, you know what's the problem and what's the cure for it.

Haven't break a rear tower, but a 3.5mm thick rear tower is fine, found them on the kawahara catalog (ordered one and I'm expecting it).
Old 02-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Seriously.... it could happen..... very scary when I think about it too.

Anyway...... It happened to me 5 times ( since I own mtx3 in 2005 ).
Old 02-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seriously.... it could happen..... very scary when I think about it too.

Anyway...... It happened to me 5 times ( since I own mtx3 in 2005 ).
Once the pivot balls pop out, you need to replace the front hubs. There is usually a hairline fracture in the plastic.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

My broken parts total:

Both rear A-arms. I broke one arm at Revelation and one during the warm up for the main of the Winter Windup. YES, it was a load of fun changing an arm and then eyeballing the width, toe, and camber during the driver introductions....
Broke one "gonad" 4mm rear shock tower.
One rear shock shaft.
A few inner clutch bearings. I have now adjusted the way I setup my clutch and since then I have had no clutch bearing issues.

Regarding the front upright: When I had my MTX3 I probably broke that part as much as any. I have 3 fairly big races on my car as well as a few club races and full day test sessions. I have not replaced an upright yet. Seeing that it is the same as the 3, I attribute this to me not hitting nearly as much stuff as I used to.

IMO, the only part on the car that should be upgraded is the rear shock tower. This is a really good car.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default breakages

i have broken one left and one right arm in fairly large side impacts but no larger than mtx-3 impacts with no arm breakages to the mtx-3,i also have broken a rear shock shaft and tweaked the chassis due to a rear end collision from a 1/8 scale at full noise and also have had quite a few 2nd gear spur gears go on me still not solved but i agree a better car than the mtx-3 but not as strong as the mtx-3
Old 02-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Front uprights of the X4 are the same as the MTX-3?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Front uprights of the X4 are the same as the MTX-3?
They are exactly the same
Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

I've have the same problem with 2nd spur gear also. It might work OK for awhile but it always ends up striping. To me it looks like the pitch is just too fine. There's not a lot of plastic contacting the pinions. Has anyone been able to race there car without the spurs giving out? I still real real real like the car.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looks like this happens to everyone at some point. I was racing in the WinterNats warm up a month ago and Art Carbonell was in the lead and looking smooth when his car lost second gear. I think he still may have finished second but after the race I took a look at the car in the post race inspection area. His second gear spur was stripped clean. I have read a few possible explanations but I haven't seen a complete fix yet.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

to avoid problem with the 2nd gear spur there are some details to check:
2-speed clutch with 0.5~1.0mm gap........
centax with almost zero endplay
clutch bell bearings in good shape always to avoid radial play that makes the clutchbell shaking around the shaft........
cleareance between spur and pinion as much tight as possible
Old 02-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

I have not stripped a spur gear at all. Even when I blew the clutch bearings, I still did not strip a gear. If you are having problems with spur gears, a few things that would help in addition to any other advice:

Do not launch the car off the ground. Some tracks have "alligator teeth" or even small ramp like areas instead of using pipe. Revelation has these as well as the track in toledo. When your car lands, it causes more chassis flex and if you are on the gas it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain.

The other thing to try for guys having that issue is to get one-piece engine mounts. Skyline makes them and the Kyosho V one RRR mounts fits as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

scott......

you got a LS3, right?
did you notice the final ratio a little bit short with stock spurs/pinions, specially 2nd gear ???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.