R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM   #2686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
No the gear ratio will be to low on your roll out. The new bell uses smaller bearings and uses smaller tooth pinions. I don't think that the engine slots will even let you move it far enough forward. The diffs are smaller in diameter so they have a fewer amount of teeth and because of this you run less teeth on the pinions to get the same roll out.
Thanks Doc. But at least I know that the 0.8 spur gears are interchangable (I have a bunch of these from my MTX-3). I guess that "when" I purchase mine and build it, I better get tougher bearing for the clutchbell.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #2687
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
Thanks Doc. But at least I know that the 0.8 spur gears are interchangable (I have a bunch of these from my MTX-3). I guess that "when" I purchase mine and build it, I better get tougher bearing for the clutchbell.

I have heard that some guys are having issues with the bearings already in the first couple of days out with the new car. Not sure if it is the mechanic's fault or a design issue. We shall see.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #2688
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I'm confused. I haven't had issues with the bearings. I used 3 bearings and shimmed with the same shims as I did with the MTX3. I dont' see any wear on the clutch bell and everything seems to spin free. I do see that the bearing rubs against the shim, and I will address this tonight when I put everything back together. I will stamp a new shim for the exsisting one.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #2689
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I'm confused. I haven't had issues with the bearings. I used 3 bearings and shimmed with the same shims as I did with the MTX3. I dont' see any wear on the clutch bell and everything seems to spin free. I do see that the bearing rubs against the shim, and I will address this tonight when I put everything back together. I will stamp a new shim for the exsisting one.

I said some guys. Not all guys. I also don't know if those guys that are having issues, if it is their own fault. I said that we shall see. I don't have the car together yet to even know what all of the parts are.

I do know that SOME guys are having issues with the clutch bearings.

I don't mean to blast you maybe I took it wrong.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #2690
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
I have heard that some guys are having issues with the bearings already in the first couple of days out with the new car. Not sure if it is the mechanic's fault or a design issue. We shall see.
Those guys were so excited to run mtx4 ....... they forgot to re-oil the bearings. IMO, re-oil often to keep them last.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #2691
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
I don't have a MTX-4 yet but seriously contemplating on getting one for next season. One question, could you use the MTX-3 clutch bell with the 0.8 pitch gears in place of the MTX-4 clutchbell?
It fits, mtx3 clutch bell to mtx4. However the gear ratio will be over gear, the engine' conrod has to torque harder.

I have mtx4....... I'm thinking to change all the pulleys with mtx3, so I can share the same engines with mtx3 and mtx4. Maybe I'll do it next year.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #2692
Tech Adept

The only problem I've had was some of the pivot-ball screws backing out. I was sort of waiting for it to happen because I was not to sure how tight to tighten everything down. Now I know. My clutch bearings are still going strong and I never clean stuff like that. I just wait till they sort of start to go out. I noticed that in this hobby, a lot of people are into cleaning and relubing everything on their car. I sometimes wonder if that's why their bearings wear out so fast. I've been using the "If its not broke, don't fix it" method and its working real well for me.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #2693
Tech Regular

Default Switch ?

Hi Guys,

Do you guys install the on/off switch on your MTX-4 ? Or do you guys have mini-type switches customly installled ?

I do prefer to use a switch instead of connecting and disconnecting by the connector but the switch location it's a bit high up...might throw the car's CG out a bit... Hee hee...

Thanks for sharing !
Bad Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:51 PM   #2694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I use a switch and mount it just like its designed.

On another note. Some of the new parts have arrived in the USA

T0274 Rear CVD set (complete kit)
T0273 Rear CVD (just the CVD)
T0809 Titanium screw kit (upper)
T0810 Titanium screw kit (lower)

The new brake pads are in, but I didn't ask for the part number as the brakes only slow the car down.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:34 AM   #2695
Tech Adept

I use the switch also.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:44 AM   #2696
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I use a switch and mount it just like its designed.

On another note. Some of the new parts have arrived in the USA

T0274 Rear CVD set (complete kit)
T0273 Rear CVD (just the CVD)
T0809 Titanium screw kit (upper)
T0810 Titanium screw kit (lower)

The new brake pads are in, but I didn't ask for the part number as the brakes only slow the car down.
Finally! Thank you scott!!
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:31 AM   #2697
Tech Master

Default masda 6 body

so what do i need to do or change to fit the masda6 body?

thanks guys

just got my skyline pipe yesterday
dg8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #2698
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg8one

thanks guys

You just need to trim the foam bumper until the rear posts are just right in front of the wing mount.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #2699
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg8one

thanks guys

This is along the line of what the previous post had said. Use the smaller front plastic bumper. Trim the foam part of the bumper until you can slide the body back far enough to get the tires centered in the wheel wells. Actually the next time I do a Mazda I am going to try mounting it this way. I am going to remove my front bumper completely. Then I am going to mount the body centering the tires in the wheel well. Then I am going to start trimming the bumper until there is enough room to reinstall it on the car.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #2700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Scott and everyone....thats the way I do my bodies. Mount the body first without the bumper and then trim the bumper to fit so that the body just falls right down on the posts with out hanging up on the bumper.

JEFF