Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I shopped at Ace a few times and they all went very well, but I just hope they will inport some karahawa options for the X4 when they become available.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Ace doesn't import Kawahara. Mugen USA is the Kawahara importer/distributor. Then Ace etc buys from Mugen.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
My car probably looks like every other MTX4 out there. The only upgrades on my car are a 4mm rear shock tower from "gonad", a Kawahara 2speed housing, a ti 2 speed shaft (mugen), aluminum wheel hexes,(mugen) front universals (mugen) and ti pillow balls (mugen). I would reccomend to everybody (especially spektrum users) to solder their battery packs together.

I could post some pics, but I think you will be disappointed. I have always thought the best looking car was the one standing highest on the podium.
"gonad"???
Where can I get those shock towers?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by propain
"gonad"???
Where can I get those shock towers?
Post #1837 in this thread shows pictures of the shock tower. There is also a thread in the for sale forum called MTX4 4mm shock tower. His email address is: [email protected]
Old 12-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Post #1837 in this thread shows pictures of the shock tower. There is also a thread in the for sale forum called MTX4 4mm shock tower. His email address is: [email protected]
Yep, I got it.
Thank you.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by josh_c
Thanks heaps for that information Rob. I think i will just stick with the one-way, it would probably make you a smoother driver leading to less mistakes. I really can't wait to hit the race track.

What percent of nitro due you all use, any castor oil??
Where I race there are few rules so I use O'Donnell 30 percent. I've never gotten an authorative answer from anyone who has collected data but the more nitro the cooler the engine. Even if that wasn't true what is true in my experience is that 30 percent packs quite a punch. Not so much in top speed but in sudden acceleration.

I should also point out that you do need to check that conrod quite often. It seems to wear a little faster with 30 percent.

As for O'Donnell, I have no complaints except the price. It tends to be more expensive than other brands in my area but the quality is good. Lubrication is not an issue with O'Donnell. I used Tornado in the past but stopped when I kept getting rust on my crankshaft. I also didn't like the heavy ordour.

I hear RunnerTime is good but it's not sold in my area. Anyone else use it?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Stick with O'Donnell, it's good stuff.

Runner Time is also good, but if you can't get it.....

I had the same problem with Tornado, rust all over the place.

As for the nitro content, the more you run, the richer you can run your engine, that's why it's running cooler. It's also easier to tune. I would stick with 30%, everything above that is really putting a lot of stress on the mill.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 AM
prg
Tech Apprentice

Default stripping 2nd gear

Can any one help

Raced the mtx4 for the first time.. g8 car.
Probelm im not sure about is that im stripping 2nd gear after 10 -15 min of racing. i used the 2nd gear and 2nd gear hub of my old mtx 3 and it suffered the same fate.

using standard gear ratio 17-23 pinion and 53-59 spur gears. the usual problems like motor loose or alignments were checed and rechecked..
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prg
Can any one help

Probelm im not sure about is that im stripping 2nd gear after 10 -15 min of racing. i used the 2nd gear and 2nd gear hub of my old mtx 3 and it suffered the same fate.

using standard gear ratio 17-23 pinion and 53-59 spur gears. the usual problems like motor loose or alignments were checed and rechecked..
i have had the same problem the main cause is from the length of the motor mounting screws when the kit screws are used their is insufficient clearance between the top and bottom screws to allow maximum tightening on the 2 non through holes (the screws closest to the exhaust),even though they feel tight they are not, you can do 1 of 2 things use 2mm shorter screws in the bottom on the exhaust side or use an extra flat washer under the head of the top mount screws this will ensure there is enough tension on the motor
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 AM
prg
Tech Apprentice

Default 2nd gear stripping

Thanks for that It certianly felt tight but what you said makes sense..
Old 12-12-2005, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by prg
Can any one help

If the engine mount touching the belt tensioner plate, it will stripping 2nd gear. Don't do anything, take out the 1st gear and check the clearance of 2nd gear. Or you can post some photo here, may help.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by going4#1
I should also point out that you do need to check that conrod quite often. It seems to wear a little faster with 30 percent.

As for O'Donnell, I have no complaints except the price. It tends to be more expensive than other brands in my area but the quality is good. Lubrication is not an issue with O'Donnell. I used Tornado in the past but stopped when I kept getting rust on my crankshaft. I also didn't like the heavy ordour.

I hear RunnerTime is good but it's not sold in my area. Anyone else use it?
I used these brands also, right now O'Donnell is my choice. Compare with engine inside clean and lower temp. Also higher price here.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 AM
prg
Tech Apprentice

Default stripping 2nd gear

I have taken the 1st gear off and checked the clearance of 2nd gear. it certainly looks correct. i also wondered whether the 2nd gear hub/bearing may have a problem causing incorrect meshing at high speed but it destoyed my 2nd gear of the mtx 3 with a different hub..
Old 12-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by prg
I have taken the 1st gear off and checked the clearance of 2nd gear. it certainly looks correct. i also wondered whether the 2nd gear hub/bearing may have a problem causing incorrect meshing at high speed but it destoyed my 2nd gear of the mtx 3 with a different hub..
If the screws are tighten and the gears meshing well, how can you destoyed the 2nd gear so often. I used the standard one with no problem.
Any photo...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I had 1 gear that stipped and I didn't know why as well. I took and looked at the 2speed clutch. 2 things I found......1st, I had a ring ground into it 2nd speed hub, it was from the clutch bell. and 2nd was that I hadn't spaced the 2 speed out far enough and the 2 speed hub was rubbing against the rear bulkhead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.