R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GTP engine choices (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/654099-gtp-engine-choices.html)

azeroth 08-14-2012 09:43 AM

GTP engine choices

OK I know there is a lot of debate going on right now over engines will buy what i need later but here is my question i have a gtp finally got it to handle like its on rails
but the old force 28 is a bit tired runs ok but she is loosing pinch
I have 3 new engines sitting here and need to make a choice
axial 28 spec 1
corsa 28 "pre" rev line
picco 21 long stroke

these are all new, best choice?

azeroth 08-14-2012 06:19 PM

no oppinions hmmm ok

Winner's Circle 08-15-2012 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by azeroth (Post 11092435)
OK I know there is a lot of debate going on right now over engines will buy what i need later but here is my question i have a gtp finally got it to handle like its on rails
axial 28 spec 1
corsa 28 "pre" rev line
picco 21 long stroke

Add the LRP .28 to your list!

Lee

jneg 08-15-2012 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by azeroth (Post 11092435)
axial 28 spec 1
corsa 28 "pre" rev line
picco 21 long stroke

I've heard good things of the Axial .28, of the others the Picco should be good. But if you add the LRP then I say the order IMO is:

1) LRP
2) Axial
3) Picco
4) Corsa

Grenade10 08-15-2012 06:36 AM

I've run the Axial, but they are no longer in production, so parts may be an issue. Depending on what you want to / can spend I'd toss in OS XZb, Novarossi N21-5 and Werks B-5.

The last two are $200 and the OS is $280, all will last a long time, tune well and move your GT car.

azeroth 08-15-2012 09:40 AM

thanks guys my list is what it is because i have them sitting here in there boxes

pinoy69racer 08-15-2012 09:44 AM

Picco.

sewerdog 08-15-2012 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by pinoy69racer (Post 11096437)
Picco.

Werks B5 with werks pro clucth, you WILL NOT be disapointed :eek:

scary_jerry 08-15-2012 02:54 PM

engine choice

Are you running at Leisure Hobbies Track?? (Chicago area)

I'd contact Mike Lyday and bounce that question off of him.

I had an Axial Spec1 as my first replacement for a fried GXR.28 and had no problems except that my son talked me out of it. I went to the Spec2S and could tell the difference with the extra 1500 rpm they wrung out of it; still running 2 of those but am seeing the parts scenario in question.

I have run the 'longstroke Axial .21' and like the torque of a .28 better. That's why I would contact Mike at the track and see what you're going to be running against. It may be a plan to sell what you have and get the Werks B5 that was suggested. I just saw the $200 NovaRossi 3 and 5 ports perform at the top of the field at the Timezone Grand Prix Race.

If you're not trying to 'keep up' it's one thing but if you use those in your 'stable', the Axial Spec1 is 'old school'......a great motor but superseded. I'm not familiar with the 'corsa'. I just didn't cure my performance goal with a .21 with what I had to run against. I love the Sirio S24T that I have now, it's the motor included on the 'red' GT....Pro version.

Check what you'll be running against and keep an ear to the 'ground' for the ROAR decision on the motor rules. But get something on that car and race it! :cool:

aris 08-15-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sewerdog (Post 11097076)
Werks B5 with werks pro clucth, you WILL NOT be disapointed :eek:

I agree....:nod:

azeroth 08-15-2012 05:07 PM

I have been racing it but like i said the old force is just tired was hoping to wait to buy something new til the rules come out when i have new ones sitting here i purchased to run off road but the local club went under before i got to run them so they have been sitting

Chris K 08-16-2012 04:05 AM

I ran the Axial .28 - didn't particularly care for it based on the fact that there wasn't that much performance (still probably more than I can handle) and it seemed a bit thirsty. :rolleyes:

Billy Sydor told me it would be a totally different engine IF I could hunt up a Nova Rossi carb for it; which so far I haven't. Based on what you have, I'd say you'll be happy (but not jumping up and down happy; just happy! :lol: )with the 'stock' performance and you'll still most likely make 5 minutes - I'm just striving for 10! :eek:

Grenade10 08-16-2012 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chris K (Post 11099526)
I ran the Axial .28 - didn't particularly care for it based on the fact that there wasn't that much performance (still probably more than I can handle) and it seemed a bit thirsty. :rolleyes:

Billy Sydor told me it would be a totally different engine IF I could hunt up a Nova Rossi carb for it; which so far I haven't. Based on what you have, I'd say you'll be happy (but not jumping up and down happy; just happy! :lol: )with the 'stock' performance and you'll still most likely make 5 minutes - I'm just striving for 10! :eek:

I agree with this, and I still have three Axial engines in my box. The carbs are hit and miss. If you get a good one, and it tunes and holds the tunes you are good. If not, as Chris said, find a Novarossi carb and you should be good.

azeroth 08-16-2012 06:55 AM

hmm thirsty beasts are they that old force has gone 8min without pushing it and usually comes off after a 5 min with better than 1/3 of a tank left over depending on the track and the the old cam and lever 2 speed stays in adjustment
the next question would be what pipe to run with it but then that would be track specific as well wouldn't it

BrakeTurnAccelerate 08-16-2012 04:20 PM

First, find out if the track(s) you plan to race at are really going to enforce the ROAR engine rule. If not, go for your favorite. I like onroad-based engines.. But if you want some power (and quality).

Picco 5TR .28
http://www.tritonrc.com/picco%20engines.htm

BP Racing .25
http://www.bpracing.it/prodotti/moto...8bdf8c05b25f4e

Alpha A352 .23
http://tritonrc.com/alpha%20engines.htm